Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have had lower level warrior Sith like the Royal Guards, Praetorian Guards, and Knights of Ren use melee weapons like what we already saw (not lightsabers.) The Emperor seemed very specific in ROTJ that sabers were "a Jedi's weapon" and I never liked that Lucas gave one to Maul (in addition to giving him the "Darth" name again as well.) I think he should have had a weapon similar to something the Praetorian Guards used and then they still could have had their big duel of the fates showdown just the same.

I always envisioned (based on what we see and hear in the OT) that Vader was a unique Sith who used a lightsaber only because he was the only one who had previously been a Jedi.

Higher level Sith/Jedi like Palpatine, TLJ Snoke and Yoda I would have had use only the Force itself.

One thing I love about the ST is that if I decanonize everything except the OT and the ST then I get six films that pretty much all showcase the fighting techniques and abilities of the Jedi/Sith the way I always imagined them to be with the addition of some extra powers (projection, healing) that give something new but not in a way that contradicts anything that was said in the OT.

I don't mind the Sith having sabers, especially knowing that they corrupt the crystals by bleeding them, and then using the Jedi's own corrupted weapons against them. A more elegant sense of irony for a more civilized time.

Movie still holds up after four viewings. I find it very hard not to just grin with delight for the film's entire run time.

A few new observations:

1. I had realized that it's kind of a big deal that even after taking out all the Star Destroyers at Exegol that there's this rogue planet killing Destroyer still on the loose (the one that obliterated Kijimi) but this time I noticed that the female captain and her crew were back at Exegol at the end. She was the one advising Pryde of the approaching Resistance ships so they did actually tie up that particular loose end.

2. I do think that it was Han's ghost who spoke to Kylo and not a "memory projection" created by Leia. The reason being that Leia dies mid-duel (Rey even realizes this as she stabs Kylo) and Han appears quite a bit after. The dialogue between him and Ben even confirms that she's gone ("but not what she fought for.") I get it if people still want to assume that it was just Ben being crazy and talking to himself but that's not how I see it.

3. Rey does *not* handle being related to Palpatine well and this actually explains her behavior going forward. She doesn't heal Poe's arm (which is still kind of hilarious because he is *constantly* clutching his arm and wincing in pain for the rest of the movie, lol) *but* in her defense she was reunited with Poe immediately after learning that "you don't just have power, you have *his* power." So I could see her being very conflicted about whether or not she *should* share any of that, even with good intentions.

She really does seem "off" in a number of other ways both mentally and emotionally after the revelation and I don't think it was that shocking that she executed Kylo in such cold hearted fashion. I found myself wondering what the OT would have been like if *immediately* after Cloud City Luke went right to Dagobah to talk to Yoda and then right to the DSII to face the Emperor just a couple hours later! That dude was an absolutely wreck after his Cloud City duel and Rey got no down time, no medical frigate, no months of regathering herself and then getting back into the fight.

Just "you're the granddaughter of supreme evil, supreme evil murdered your mom and dad, and now it's time to face him alone." Pretty brutal.

4. Interesting contrast with the way Rey responds to male assistance in this film compared to TFA. Like in TFA when the TIE's shoot the ground and knock her and Finn off their feet and he asks if she's okay. She responds "yeah" in a clearly annoyed "why would you think otherwise" kind of way. But in TROS when they sink in the sand and she just lightly comes through the cavern ceiling Poe catches her, sets her down, asks if she's okay and this time her yes is much more appreciative. I know that a lot of people have decided to hate her character until their dying day but I think that they really did a good job of just making her likable all around and if TROS was people's first introduction to her there just wouldn't be that animosity.

5. Zori's little rooftop pep talk to Poe. Man such a contrast with the gender studies lecturing of Holdo in TLJ. She's just so caring and conversational with her little speech about there being more of us than them and good people will follow if you lead them that it wasn't off putting at all. If Holdo went to the Captain Marvel school of lecturing then Zori definitely learned from Gadot's WW. Just another example of inspiring female characters that aren't insulting or reeking of manufactured superiority.

6. It finally clicked (lol, took long enough) that the Exegol Destroyers didn't need guidance leaving the system but rather just the atmosphere of the planet itself. At first I thought why the heck does the Final Order need to do the complicated navigation tower when literally no one else (Resistance, Kylo's TIE, etc.) need such technical guidance. But they do explain that "ships of that size" need the tracking to leave that planet's funky atmosphere before they can get to space and navigate on their own. Which yeah makes Exegol literally the worst planet ever to build a massive armada on but at least their "logic" is internally sound, lol.

7. Ian McDiarmid. The guy is just a legend. Every word he utters is pure gold. And once again I just lol'd at his ridiculously gratuitous and prolonged exploding face. So violent and over the top, like something out of Indiana Jones, I love it. :D Also I just read that one of the first two guys who leaked Trevorrow's script took a shot at people praising it for being better than TROS by saying "give me a break, imagine if the scripts were reversed and Abrams made a movie that had an extra hour of Rose Tico and then it got leaked that Trevorrow's script had Palpatine and tens of thousands of chanting Sith cultists. People would have lost their **** over being denied the opportunity to see *that* movie." And he's totally right.

8. It also hit me that even with the occasional PT reference or Easter Egg (PT Jedi voices, the inactive Battle Droid in Babu Frik's workshop) it really is the conclusion of the "OT Saga." And that's why I can see it forever rubbing PT apologists/fans the wrong way. Just look at that ending. The ghosts of Luke and Leia appearing but no others. The montage of planets taking down the FO being only OT and ST locations. Rey returning to the Lars Homestead and taking everything in instead of places in Mos Espa like Shmi Skywalker's hut or Watto's garage where Anakin used to be. The film really does go out of its way to say "this all began here, and this is what we are honoring."

Finishing what Anakin started is seen as a bad thing (and is the name "Anakin" ever *once* mentioned on screen in the ST??) While Rey instead finishes what Luke and Leia started. OT + ST is the Saga of the twins and their legacy, not so much Anakin. So yeah if the Chosen One bringing Balance to the Force is what defines SW for you then I'm not surprised in the slightest that that would be cause alone to dismiss the ST. (And yes I know that that isn't the case for everyone and that many who don't give a rip about Anakin also dislike the ST for other reasons.)

But yeah I think they nailed it, even with the extremely poor detour into divisive social justice with TLJ and some outrageously silly (but not cringy, an important distinction) aspects of TROS I find it to be a hugely satisfying six film Saga, and one that I'm fully prepared to compartmentalize should they go off the rails in 2022 and beyond, lol.

Still though, there's just nothing quite like watching a Star Wars film on the big screen. :yess:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it Khev. Honestly, the scene when Poe and Zorri talk on the balcony is probably the only time in the movie where I felt as if there was some sort of stake being established in the movie. Ironically I was bored the most when things done to death like lineage and forging paths and destinies and blah blah blah came on screen.

In contrast the balcony scene took its time, revealed more insights behind these two characters as well as what kind of things they looked forward to/or feared ahead.

Too bad it's jolted short by the Star Destroyer coming out of hyperspace. Seems like a lot of the movie wasted quiet moments which were suddenly cut short by a sudden flux of action.

Epic post.

Holy crap # 3 I never looked at it that way holy crap. :thud:

If master DiFabio knew I was reacting this way to to your post he would be very grumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that scene had a really ominous vibe with the distant screams and creepy "War of the Worlds" looking walkers in the background.

I don't have these art books tho after tripping over some images I may have to pick up the TFA one. Might be interesting to cross reference TFA to TROS ideas e.g. this image is early TFA art...

chamber.jpg

wish some of this had come to screen:

Jakku_jumk.jpg

Anakin.jpg

Whatever else, the efforts JJ and Johnson put in visually are staggering IMO, with today's constant budgeting. Including location shoots. Narrative and characters are critical - but - IMO the sheer creativeness and imagination that went into these films is staggering.

fallen_deathstar.jpg

Heck, I'd rewatch TFA just for the Falcon/Tie fighter chase scene.:clap

Epic post.

Holy crap # 3 I never looked at it that way holy crap. :thud:

If master DiFabio knew I was reacting this way to to your post he would be very grumpy.

:lol

Master DiFabio is free to reject my take as he and I see the Saga very differently. He's got to follow his own path no one can choose it for him. :) Whether someone likes SW because of a specific aspect of filmmaking quality (which clearly differs from film to film) or a focus on a certain aspect of the lore (which any given film might honor or betray) you're gonna have a hard time finding 100% agreement between any number of individuals outside of "SW and ESB rocked" lol.

Beyond ESB it really does come down to each person's preferred compartmentalization doesn't it. ;)

Last edited:
Is that picture from the theater one you took, Khev?

It is indeed. And before anyone cries foul it was a semi-late showing in one of those theaters with the huge recliners with like an additional 3 feet beyond your extended feet to the next row of seats so people in front of you are literally not visible in any way. No one was next to me and I used no flash. So I wasn't one of *those* guys that they warn you about before the movie begins, lol. ;)

I don't mind the Sith having sabers, especially knowing that they corrupt the crystals by bleeding them, and then using the Jedi's own corrupted weapons against them. A more elegant sense of irony for a more civilized time.

I've always liked the view of lightsabers as the SW equivalent of samurai swords. If dark-side Force users didn't have their own "swords" of the same style, it would lose a lot of that magic for me in terms of the SW version of traditional cinematic sword fighting. The awesome visuals of lightsaber duels don't hurt either, of course.

So TROS was all just Rey's imagination!? Pfew!! What a relief. Now the bat**** crazy logic in the movie makes sense. :yess:

It is indeed. And before anyone cries foul it was a semi-late showing in one of those theaters with the huge recliners with like an additional 3 feet beyond your extended feet to the next row of seats so people in front of you are literally not visible in any way. No one was next to me and I used no flash. So I wasn't one of *those* guys that they warn you about before the movie begins, lol. ;)

Looks nice. Is that your go-to theater?

I want a RJ cut of TROS

:chase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the same film but includes the first ever Star Wars sex scene starring Finn and Rose that goes on for over 45 minutes at the conclusion of the movie. Boyega in his words really "lays the pipe". It's of course interracial so it checks the boxes. Also there can be no more complaints about Rose's lack of screen time.

\It also hit me that even with the occasional PT reference or Easter Egg (PT Jedi voices, the inactive Battle Droid in Babu Frik's workshop) it really is the conclusion of the "OT Saga." And that's why I can see it forever rubbing PT apologists/fans the wrong way. Just look at that ending. The ghosts of Luke and Leia appearing but no others. The montage of planets taking down the FO being only OT and ST locations. Rey returning to the Lars Homestead and taking everything in instead of places in Mos Espa like Shmi Skywalker's hut or Watto's garage where Anakin used to be. The film really does go out of its way to say "this all began here, and this is what we are honoring."

Don't forget Palps' "unnatural" quote and Anakin's voice imploring Rey to restore balance "as he did". Also Shmi was buried at the Lars Homestead so it became the Skywalkers' spiritual home.

Back