Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In one of Yesterdays interviews, Tom Kane (the voice of many SW animated characters. most known for Yoda) voiced his displeasure about Ackbar's demise in TLJ. I watched the whole interview live yesterday. It was reported when Disney put the full separate video clip up they edited out his remarks from the interview... Even the host is very uncomfortable. I'm sure he had to follow a strict NO NO question list with TLJ.

Here's the clip someone uploaded to YT.

Disney still doing damage control on TLJ... :rotfl

I agree with him 100%

But what a dumb ass!

Good luck keeping your “Disney SW” job acting highly unprofessional like that even if he’s an outside contractor he really screwed himself pulling that stunt.

He’s not there to provide his personal opinion on what he hates about SW he’s there to promote whatever his contribution to SW is in this case voice acting SW cartoons.

Yup i’ll say it again what a dumb ass not to smart of him pulling a stunt like that.

For me, there's no bigger sin in TLJ than Canto Bight. Nothing even comes remotely close. I still haven't found one single redemptive thing about it. Nothing! It was pure garbage. The only saving grace is that it took 11 or 12 minutes of total screen time. Some people try to make it seem like it took half the movie. It didn't; it took less than 12 minutes total! . . . (It only seemed like an hour.) :lol

Yep. Not only that, there's also no way they would kill both Luke and Leia in the same movie.

The destruction of the bridge/command section of the Raddus, but sparing Leia, was done for a number of reasons. Among them: 1.) to make it seem as though Kylo has some redemptive value by not pulling the trigger, 2.) to provide a reason for somebody new to take command, and 3.) to allow Leia to finally show that she can use the Force (as was always assumed ever since "there is another").

As to point #2 (to address jye's objection about Ackbar): If the bridge was destroyed, logic dictates that Ackbar would be there. No credible way around that. And to RJ, Ackbar's death was as necessary as Leia's coma in order to introduce a new leader (Holdo). Why a *new* leader instead of an established one? Because we were meant to *not trust* her. Whereas, we *would trust* Ackbar. Poe was meant to not trust her. Poe would trust Ackbar. The chess pieces were moved in that bridge scene to construct a path for central plots moving forward. That's just how the storytelling unfolded. It wasn't done arbitrarily and without reason.

As for point #3: If Rian showed Leia using the Force the way a Jedi would typically demonstrate, it might beg the question of why not use the Force herself during these difficult times leading up to TLJ? So, he probably decided to have her demonstrate Force abilities for the *first* time on screen as a sort of survival instinct. Almost as if the panic and urgency of being at the brink of death sparked her Skywalker-inherited Force powers to save her life. I can see why he'd do it that way, but I still think the execution of the Leia Poppins scene was pretty terrible.

IMO, Rian not killing Leia was absolutely the right call. He also put her in a coma for good reason. And I can also see why he had to have Ackbar replaced by a new character who we were supposed to wonder whether she could be trusted or not.

For some of us who grew up with ROTJ being a pivotal film, Ackbar was more than a mere side character. More than a meme, or a gif. I can totally understand the objection over Ackbar not being given more of a hero's sendoff (I even share that objection on some level). But yeah, I can see the reasons why RJ did what he did with Ackbar/Holdo.

As bad as CB was and boy was it bad it’s still not AOTC levels of bad for me.

I agree with him 100%

But what a dumb ass!

Good luck keeping your “Disney SW” job acting highly unprofessional like that even if he’s an outside contractor he really screwed himself pulling that stunt.

He’s not there to provide his personal opinion on what he hates about SW he’s there to promote whatever his contribution to SW is in this case voice acting SW cartoons.

Yup i’ll say it again what a dumb ass not to smart of him pulling a stunt like that.

Holy crap I can't believe he went there even fueling the "who the hell is Holdo no one likes her" fire. His opinions are as valid as anyone's but to publicly air them at an optimistic fan event like Celebration taking the wind out of everyone's sails who liked TLJ/Holdo was the height of unprofessionalism.

In one of Yesterdays interviews, Tom Kane (the voice of many SW animated characters. most known for Yoda) voiced his displeasure about Ackbar's demise in TLJ. I watched the whole interview live yesterday. It was reported when Disney put the full separate video clip up they edited out his remarks from the interview... Even the host is very uncomfortable. I'm sure he had to follow a strict NO NO question list with TLJ.

Here's the clip someone uploaded to YT.

Disney still doing damage control on TLJ... :rotfl

Wow that shill/host - "All right, all right, let's... let's... so... (mugs to camera with down face)... let's just real quick talk about...":rotfl

And of course they didn't cut to the head of the Lucasfilm Story Group on the other side of the auditorium reacting to that Holdo comment...

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg

:lol

Oh wow, just noticed the host's Rose Tico face, yeah turn in your man card right there dude, lol.

But the guy was just saving what we love - Ackbar - by fighting what we hate - Holdo. Rose said that's how you WIN!:dunno:rotfl

I agree with him 100%

But what a dumb ass!

Maybe these guys are paid to say things like this in interviews to create controversy. Get people talking about it. Everybody loves controversy.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aotc is definitely bad, but at least it has some redeeming elements with Battle of Geonosis. What are the redeeming elements of TLJ? A lot of people latch on to the throne room fight, but it just seemed so poorly choreographed. Not to mention red guards on a red background was just not visually interesting to me. I was kind hoping Battle of Crait was going to be an actual battle, but that was a bust :slap

I guess I dug the bomber sequence because it's very old school ww2 style, but it starts with Poe's your mama jokes.

Wow that shill/host - "All right, all right, let's... let's... so... (mugs to camera with down face)... let's just real quick talk about...":rotfl

And of course they didn't cut to the head of the Lucasfilm Story Group on the other side of the auditorium reacting to that Holdo comment...

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg

When you work for a corporation you are signing a contract saying you will be a shill for that corporation and all of its affiliates and corporate partners so why single him out when he’s simply just doing his job.

Shill = Doing what he’s being paid to do which is promote the brand thru professional interviews.

You do know that they don’t hire hosts who are just going to trash the company that hired them right I mean you do know that right lol

Maybe the Ackbar guy felt emboldened by all of JJ's not so subtle digs at KK and RJ at the Episode IX panel. And then he remembered the difference between a TV cartoon voice actor and the director of a $2 billion tentpole, lol.

lol

The footage reminds me of the old Dark Horse Boba Fett comics. That feel of the underworld and the voice in the helmet.

Not saying it is Fett but the old school pre prequels vibe is there. I didn't feel this once with any of the ST.

When you work for a corporation you are signing a contract saying you will be a shill for that corporation and all of its affiliates and corporate partners so why single him out when he’s simply just doing his job.

Shill = Doing what he’s being paid to do which is promote the brand thru professional interviews.

You do know that they don’t hire hosts who are just going to trash the company that hired them right I mean you do know that right lol

Oh I don't judge the guy for being a shill, it's just we have to be honest and call him what he is. He could at least have acknowledged that many fans agree with the guy - just as many fans don't - and moved on. Rather than just having a shill senior moment and awkwardly moving on.

I do love how while in the theater we cheer movie characters who stand up for themselves against the big bads of the world, even their employers, when someone does it in real life, he's a "dumbass" for doing it. I'm not sure we called Sally Field a dumbass in "Norma Rae" (or any of the countless movies where characters take on their employers on grounds of fairness or transparency.) Ah, movies - such a force for change in the world.:rotfl

If I was the host then right when Kane was done with his rant I'd say "and funny that you mention Holdo because please give a warm welcome to our next guest Golden Globe winner Laura Dern!" just to watch the guy **** himself, lol.

If I was the host then right when Kane was done with his rant I'd say "and funny that you mention Holdo because please give a warm welcome to our next guest Golden Globe winner Laura Dern!" just to watch the guy **** himself, lol.

No, she was actually just off stage watching with KK. Here's the footage:

giphy.gif

Oh I don't judge the guy for being a shill, it's just we have to be honest and call him what he is. He could at least have acknowledged that many fans agree with the guy - just as many fans don't - and moved on. Rather than just having a shill senior moment and awkwardly moving on.

I do love how while in the theater we cheer movie characters who stand up for themselves against the big bads of the world, even their employers, when someone does it in real life, he's a "dumbass" for doing it. I'm not sure we called Sally Field a dumbass in "Norma Rae" (or any of the countless movies where characters take on their employers on grounds of fairness or transparency.) Ah, movies - such a force for change in the world.:rotfl

Yeah if the host had some moxy he could have chuckled and countered with "hey now, Holdo has her fans too but I see you point on Ackbar" and then moved to the next question. I'm not surprised that Disney picked a beta male Rose Tico wannabe incapable of such an improv though.

No, she was actually just off stage watching with KK. Here's the footage:

giphy.gif

:lol :lol

I do kind of feel bad for her. We'll see if her mugshots appear online after street racing with Jake Lloyd in a few years, lol.

Back