Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - December 20, 2019

Damn good post, damn you.

I may simply be too set in my dislike of TFA and TLJ but one must give credit where it is due. That's a very thorough response.

Everything always goes back to the TFA opening crawl.

32 years worth of exposition should’ve never been dumped into a few sentences TFA should’ve opened up with a 10-15 minute FOTR style prologue.

Come at me ajp bro lol

:lol I can't disagree with you. The huge time gap between OT and ST presented problems that were not addressed in a perfect way. But this is a trilogy, not a single sequel film. You can backtrack in Acts 2 and 3 in order to fill in some of that missing context. I think TLJ started that with Luke telling Rey about what had happened to Ben/Kylo. My hope is that Ep9 does even more of that. Maybe with Lando (and maybe the Carrie Fisher scenes). I don't know; I'm just hoping/expecting.

But I don't want to make it seem like I think TFA was some perfect starting point. I had plenty of problems with it. But, like I've said here before, I appreciate what TLJ tried to do to set things straight. So much so that it even elevated TFA for me. But I know that I'm in the tiny minority here.

Damn good post, damn you.

I may simply be too set in my dislike of TFA and TLJ but one must give credit where it is due. That's a very thorough response.

Thanks a lot, a-dev. :duff

So, did disney ruin Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge then? The more videos i watch about the setting and the ride the more it feels like Disney is future proofing and betting on the future of the franchise than catering to the past movies?

I was excited about Millennium falcon’s ride but then noticed the ride doesn’t have anything to do with any of the movies, rise of the first resistance is based on you getting captured by the first order and the whole deal taking like an hour, then the setting, which was briefly mentioned in novels and on Solo, so iddk i really feel completely underwhelmed now since they use it as an excuse to raise ticket prices and merchandising for the franchise as a whole, this is why is hard to be a star wars fan with all the current content including episode IX, doesn’t really matter how they compare to the OT or PT, they don’t really care what everyone else has to say and act surprised when the internet trashes TLJ.

Some of you liked it, some did not, but fans are living in an era where we are beginning to voice our opinions against the corporations who feel they were doing whatever they want to garnish nostalgia investments out of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly confused with your closing statement.

I read your post as if you’re not happy with SW Land GE ignoring OT/PT era (Falcon ride specifically) but then your last observation is that you’re not happy with Disney using nostalgia to make money off fans.

Please clarify further lol

Do you hate NEW SW with the FO storyline being used for SW Land or do you hate Disney relying on OT/PT Nostalgia?

It can’t be both right, can it? I mean it seems unfair to Disney it’s like a no win situation you’re putting them in.

Hell me Obi-Ropen Kenobi you’re my only hope.

giphy.gif

The achievements of the OT heroes were never going to result in any permanency of peace. The quest for power, and the allures of evil, cannot be permanently erased simply by defeating Palpatine's Empire. There's always going to be a new threat; it's just a matter of time (30 years in this case).

What the OT heroes achieved was vanquish the evil Empire in *their* day and in *their* moment to shine. They secured peace for the galaxy. And just because the FO was able to commit a horrific atrocity with their Starkiller doesn't change the fact that they're basically a terrorist group that scored a huge hit.

By the end of Episode IX, the FO threat will have been dealt with. And without Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, and everything accomplished by the OT Rebellion, the galaxy would have much bigger problems than some rogue terrorist organization going around trying to flex their muscles.

The OT heroes changed the landscape. They couldn't end war altogether, but they sure did show what could (and should) be done in the face of evil and oppression. They fought. They sacrificed. They won. And every member of the Resistance, and every ally in Ep9, will simply be preserving what the OT heroes achieved - in part, due to the inspiration they provided. That's how legacies are made. Nothing can erase them.

The only reason that the FO seemed so massive and powerful is because the tiny Resistance was the only force taking them on. If the entire Republic had decided to confront the FO, things would've looked a whole lot different! But JJ centered the conflict on the Resistance versus the FO for precisely that reason: the FO would've (and should've) been dispatched with relative ease by an Alliance of the new Republic. But they were sitting on their asses. In Ep9, we might learn why that was.

The FO, even with Starkiller, are a terrorist group. Simple as that. It's like if some terrorist in our world took a suitcase nuke into D.C. or London and detonated. Huge devastation and loss of life; but not because the terror group was some huge presence (like an actual government). A small force can still wreak havoc if there isn't a vigilant awareness of the threat. That's what happened in the ST with the First Order. That doesn't in any way make them close to what the Empire was, or negate the achievements of the OT heroes.

Yeah, the motives of Disney/LFL are all about money. And the new generation of heroes is intended to build a new audience to spend money like the generation before them did. But if we were to ever have a sequel trilogy with the original cast, there'd need to be a younger group too no matter what the motive. Someone had to pose a new threat in the story, and younger people would have to be doing much of the legwork.

Like I said about the Rocky franchise, just because the sequels aren't original doesn't mean that I'd rather not have had them. I could point to just as many parallels between "Rocky 1" and "Rocky Balboa" as I could between the OT and the ST, but I'll be damned if I didn't LOVE Rocky Balboa. I didn't want Rocky to end up down on his luck, losing Adrian, facing personal hardships, and wanting to prove himself in the ring yet again. But the way RB made me feel as I was watching one of my childhood heroes in a heartfelt and well-told story? Priceless!

So too the ST. But I'm only speaking for myself.

:goodpost:

:lol I can't disagree with you. The huge time gap between OT and ST presented problems that were not addressed in a perfect way. But this is a trilogy, not a single sequel film. You can backtrack in Acts 2 and 3 in order to fill in some of that missing context. I think TLJ started that with Luke telling Rey about what had happened to Ben/Kylo. My hope is that Ep9 does even more of that. Maybe with Lando (and maybe the Carrie Fisher scenes). I don't know; I'm just hoping/expecting.

But I don't want to make it seem like I think TFA was some perfect starting point. I had plenty of problems with it. But, like I've said here before, I appreciate what TLJ tried to do to set things straight. So much so that it even elevated TFA for me. But I know that I'm in the tiny minority here.

Thanks a lot, a-dev. :duff

Same here TLJ elevated TFA for me at the very least it was visually and narratively more thrilling for me.

Funny thing if you believe the rumors about IX it’s being made to address that 32 year gap with flash backs so we might be getting that prologue afterall.

I’m calling it right now, IX will be a-dev’s 3rd favorite SW movie. :lol

Last edited:

I’m calling it right now, IX will be a-dev’s 3rd favorite SW movie. :lol

Well, I've always had an enjoyable first viewing of each Star Wars film, even the PT, albeit with some issues. Those issues fester and grow and ultimately spoil the films for me thereafter.

I do understand that, a prologue of sorts would have been helpful to establish that there was a reason for the Republic's complacency in regards to the FO threat. Seeing what the galaxy would have been like without turmoil would have been interesting, but perhaps the reality might be too boring for a Star Wars movie?

None of these movies will ever be perfect, I don't even expect any to be as good as ESB, which to me is about as perfect as movies can get.

Also I appreciate the poster who expanded on my "history repeats itself" point, sometimes I'm just too lazy or busy to give it the full explanation it deserves.

I have my imagination, which I keep separate from my film expectations. I don't mind going in and seeing this incredible fantasy world from somebody else's perspective and allowing myself to go on their ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The achievements of the OT heroes were never going to result in any permanency of peace.

Yep.

I'm already eager to see the uselessness of Rey and Kylo's achievements in the next Trilogy set 30 years further with the 3rd Order (already wondering what happened to the 2nd Order, aren't you?).

I see. Your objection is, more or less, the same main criticism that has long been levied against TFA: a retread story with a lack of originality.

I had thought you were suggesting that the ST was invalidating the ROTJ victory, as if the logical trajectory for their post-ROTJ lives would've been a lasting galactic peace without anyone trying to fill the void left by the Empire's defeat. That's what had me scratching my head; to me, it only makes sense that someone would've tried to capitalize on the Empire's remnant war machine and structure. And obviously with similar imperial ambitions.

The criticism of lack of originality is one that I can totally understand, though. The problem for me is that this is Star *Wars* we're supposed to be watching. And if we're going to have wars in the stars, I wouldn't expect them to be all that different in nature when set merely 30 years apart. Rebels versus oppressors. X-Wings versus TIE Fighters (or similar combat spacecraft). Giant weapons to serve as proof of power (and as deterrent to opposition). All much like our wars here in our reality, using similar methodology generation after generation.

I think any plot that would stray too far from the established OT and PT nature of how these star wars play out would risk seeming too small in scope, and not epic enough to fit the saga. Then again, I don't agree with objections to the Rocky sequels continuing to put an aging (and even elderly :lol) Rocky in (or around) a boxing ring. I mean, what else would I expect from a Rocky sequel? A game of chess? International espionage? :lol

But I don't want to obscure your point. I can understand and appreciate your objection. And again, thank you for clarifying. :duff I have a much better sense now for what you resent about the ST. For me, I'm just glad to get this farewell tour from the old crew set against the backdrop of decent stories and great production value. Retread setup? Yeah. Lazy? Yes, in part (but also by necessity). Implausible scenario, though? Nah. Actually a pretty logical extension.

The First Order isn't stronger than the Empire ever was. Far from it. The Empire controlled the entire galaxy, and even had the power to arbitrarily do away with the galactic Senate. The FO, by contrast, doesn't control anything right now. Planets aren't answering to the FO in either TFA or TLJ.

The scope of the First Order is nothing even close to the scope of the Empire. The FO is basically a well-funded terrorist organisation with fancy tech. But their leader (Snoke) had no actual authority in the galaxy.

In no way does the rise of the First Order turn the ROTJ victory into a meaningless "all for nothing" accomplishment. The Death Star, the Emperor, and Vader were finished off. The Empire was eventually dissolved, and the Republic was re-established. The new Republic had close to 30 years without Imperial oppression. What you're suggesting in your post is the same as saying that WWI (started in 1914) was made a waste of time because the victory by the Allied Powers was "all for nothing" since Germany was right back at it again in 1939 to force the Allies into fighting WWII.

Of all of the criticisms against the ST, this one is the most nonsensical, imo.

My man what are you talking about. They are still feared and nothing has changed. There is no peace and the same damn thing happened. The victory was meaningless. They defeated the empire only for it to happen again build another dumb super weapon to destroy the worlds and draw the empire back. Nothing changed.

Lol man where’s vault boy when you need him

My man what are you talking about. They are still feared and nothing has changed. There is no peace and the same damn thing happened. The victory was meaningless. They defeated the empire only for it to happen again build another dumb super weapon to destroy the worlds and draw the empire back. Nothing changed.

Lol man where’s vault boy when you need him

25C1D61F-E4E0-4A10-A2EB-51044FCC85CF.jpeg

Well the good versus evil story never really changes.....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Slightly confused with your closing statement.

I read your post as if you’re not happy with SW Land GE ignoring OT/PT era (Falcon ride specifically) but then your last observation is that you’re not happy with Disney using nostalgia to make money off fans.

Please clarify further lol

Do you hate NEW SW with the FO storyline being used for SW Land or do you hate Disney relying on OT/PT Nostalgia?

It can’t be both right, can it? I mean it seems unfair to Disney it’s like a no win situation you’re putting them in.

Hell me Obi-Ropen Kenobi you’re my only hope.

I really dont know how to feel, i love disney, star wars, marvel, but seriously me and my girlfriend went to disney world last week, just us two no kids, i took like 4,500$ in savings and came back with 300 bucks, the merchandise is expensive, the food outrages but so worth it, i have been a dozen times and managed to survive on a low budget but this last time felt different.

I spent like 750 on disney tickets for four days, disney parks will raise the 108 a day park to 175 once galaxy’s edge open, the whole area will have like four restaurants a whole entire section where making your own lightsaber costs 150 each, robes, merch, the fact there’s no fast pass for any new rides when it opens, an average meal costs about 36 for two people, but going back to the whole entire no fast pass, at disney world you can 186 extra on top of your ticket to access the rides before the resort goers or regular crowd goes in the parks, which is kind of like the ultimate fastpass.

When its all said and done, im just kind of venting the negatives about the upcoming hassle of an already crazy disney experience i mean dang i planned the trip for two months to the T for disney stressing minute details, then i just walked into universal studios without any planning whatsoever and did everything,

Nothings more exciting than the fact that Disney is claiming they sell real working lightsabers at the parks:

https://youtu.be/6ySTFu5uREM

What a great time to be alive though

Yikes! I went into extreme detail and spelled everything out, and you're still asking what am I talking about!? Okay, let's try it this way:

The Empire: 25 or so years in control of the galaxy. Entire planets used as f'ing slave camps! Scores of people murdered. Jedi hunted and killed. Stormtroopers stationed (and armed) on multiple planets to oppress any nonconformity to the Empire's mandates. Everyone under the thumb of the dictatorial reign of Palpatine. Hell, just watch Rogue One again if you've forgotten what it was like for many of these cultures and individuals during the time of the Empire.

The First Order: Had done NOTHING until TFA. The Republic was still entirely intact, very aware of the FO, and still chose to take no action . . . because they had done NOTHING yet! Then one lucky shot from Starkiller that caught everyone by complete surprise. The awareness of the FO throughout the galaxy amounted to our awareness of any number of terrorist groups here in real life; a threat to cause mayhem, but largely outnumbered. Now they've lost Starkiller Base, a fleet of Star Destroyers, and their Supreme Leader. And they'll be finished entirely by the end of Ep9. :lol

Final Tally: Empire = 25 years of oppressive, murderous reign. First Order = 2 years of being taken seriously after building everything they have in secret. Not even being considered a credible enough threat before that to be dealt with by the Republic.

We were introduced to the FO when they were on the hunt for Luke Skywalker. They wanted to eliminate him because they were afraid he'd stop them from *becoming* a major power player. The FO will not turn into an Empire. What the OT heroes built for the galaxy will be preserved (though the centralized authority of the Republic will need to be rebuilt, obviously). Kylo Ren is a legit problem, but the FO in total has gotten nowhere near the threat level of the Empire.

The Empire = King Kong. The First Order = Donkey Kong. If all this still isn't clear enough for you, I'll likely just give up trying.

I just realized that the FO Starkiller Base sun energy beam is the same color and also has the same unsmooth edges as Kylo’s lightsaber laser.

Good to know only took me 4 years to realize that.

By the way has it really been 4 years already since TFA and 20 years since TPM!!!

Christ i’m old FML.

I really dont know how to feel, i love disney, star wars, marvel, but seriously me and my girlfriend went to disney world last week, just us two no kids, i took like 4,500$ in savings and came back with 300 bucks, the merchandise is expensive, the food outrages but so worth it, i have been a dozen times and managed to survive on a low budget but this last time felt different.

I spent like 750 on disney tickets for four days, disney parks will raise the 108 a day park to 175 once galaxy’s edge open, the whole area will have like four restaurants a whole entire section where making your own lightsaber costs 150 each, robes, merch, the fact there’s no fast pass for any new rides when it opens, an average meal costs about 36 for two people, but going back to the whole entire no fast pass, at disney world you can 186 extra on top of your ticket to access the rides before the resort goers or regular crowd goes in the parks, which is kind of like the ultimate fastpass.

When its all said and done, im just kind of venting the negatives about the upcoming hassle of an already crazy disney experience i mean dang i planned the trip for two months to the T for disney stressing minute details, then i just walked into universal studios without any planning whatsoever and did everything,

Nothings more exciting than the fact that Disney is claiming they sell real working lightsabers at the parks:

We goto Disney alot.....

Family of 4 for a week is always close to 5K.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I just realized that the FO Starkiller Base sun energy beam is the same color and also has the same unsmooth edges as Kylo’s lightsaber laser.

Good to know only took me 4 years to realize that.

By the way has it really been 4 years already since TFA and 20 years since TPM!!!

Christ i’m old FML.

Good to know I’m not the only one who uses films to guage how old I am. :lol

A few years ago Disney wanted $4 for a bottle of water- did the price go up?
I didn't get it then- saw BIG familys of five or six there and wondered how much they were spending...

I feel for you- I just think about how many great figures I could have bought for all those thousands....:lol

Back