Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an admirably unique endeavor to challenge yourself with. Very cool! The difficulty and danger is already awe-inspiring as a spectator, so knowing that it gets so much more pronounced with hands-on experience is crazy to think about.

I can only imagine the levels of eyerolling and groaning that you've reacted with since then when watching dramatized/choreographed sword dueling on screen. The stylish flourishes and extended close-quarters sequences must go over really well. :lol
LOL ... it was a lot to take in and a great time. After I retired from fighting (Muay Thai) I tried a few different competitive sports afterwards to fill the void, so to speak. But I had started Muay Thai much younger and when I had a lot more time to commit -- ultimately I let fencing go, but it was a great experience.

As a result, cinematic swordplay *and* fighting generally induce a lot of eye rolls. :LOL:
My fencing instructor was a really interesting dude. He looked very unassuming -- like an accountant or a high school music teacher. Turns out he was both a fencing expert and proficient with Kung Fu. The man moved like a goddamn jungle cat when he wanted to. You would never know by looking at him. Another reminder to be polite and respectful of everyone you meet lest they reveal their powers and destroy you! 😬

….. but but… muh pt!!!
The past few weeks my son has been watching various films from the Saga mostly out of sequence and so of course I tend to get sucked in all over again. It was some crazy order too like AOTC, TFA, Solo, TROS, RO, then TPM, lol. Sadly he started ESB somewhere in the middle of the group but seemingly lost interest once Luke arrived on Dagobah and didn't end up finishing it nor did he dive into either of the other OT films. :(

Anyway I do find it worth noting that the imagination and world building of the PT really *does* make it something special IMO, regardless of all the other shortcomings. It's really quite amazing just how much George expanded on and fleshed out the galaxy with that trilogy. So much so that the ST can't help but feel massively lacking in that regard.

I know that Disney LFL's motto was clearly "pretend that the PT doesn't exist" (save for a throwaway line here and there) when they made the ST but Mando has shown that that really wasn't necessary. All they had to do was update the PT visuals to a more tangible "lived in" feel and tell good stories with likable characters and go from there. RO's glimpses of Mustafar and Coruscant didn't derail the story at all for instance.

I get why Disney LFL did what they did but I think that most can agree that they really did throw the baby out with the bathwater in that instance.

The past few weeks my son has been watching various films from the Saga mostly out of sequence and so of course I tend to get sucked in all over again. It was some crazy order too like AOTC, TFA, Solo, TROS, RO, then TPM, lol. Sadly he started ESB somewhere in the middle of the group but seemingly lost interest once Luke arrived on Dagobah and didn't end up finishing it nor did he dive into either of the other OT films. :(

Anyway I do find it worth noting that the imagination and world building of the PT really *does* make it something special IMO, regardless of all the other shortcomings. It's really quite amazing just how much George expanded on and fleshed out the galaxy with that trilogy. So much so that the ST can't help but feel massively lacking in that regard.

I know that Disney LFL's motto was clearly "pretend that the PT doesn't exist" (save for a throwaway line here and there) when they made the ST but Mando has shown that that really wasn't necessary. All they had to do was update the PT visuals to a more tangible "lived in" feel and tell good stories with likable characters and go from there. RO's glimpses of Mustafar and Coruscant didn't derail the story at all for instance.

I get why Disney LFL did what they did but I think that most can agree that they really did throw the baby out with the bathwater in that instance.
They are slowly fixing the PT.

Pod Race did take up too much time in the movie for sure. Just Lucas selling his videogame he did. I did like alot of the creature and ship designs though.
Ah man... I love the Pod race. Its pure SW. The audio. The visual. The humor (I laugh every time the one alien screams before he hits the rock and the sandpeople shooting and yelling) and the speed. IDK its a PT highlight for sure.

Yep. I have always said the ST was lacking GL's imagination. Its too bad it did not try and "go for it" a bit more in the creativity aspect. Because they didn’t the Galaxy feels smaller.

Last edited:
If anything makes the galaxy feel about the size of one floor of a freshman dorm, it's the PT.

Darth Vader just happened to beat up Greedo as a kid after he was finished building C-3PO who then went to live with Owen Lars a few decades before he buys him off some jawas but none of them remember any of it?

Yoda finishes Obi Wan's training but ten hangs out on Kashyyk with his good pal Chewbacca, and a few decades later, Obi Wan just happens to run into Chewbacca in a random bar on Tattooine, minutes before Greedo (who was beaten as a child by Vader, I know it's a deleted scene, but hear me out) is murdered?

R2-D2 also happens to be Anakin's personal astromech droid for about 20 years before becoming Luke's personal astromech droid?

In this vast universe full of thousands and thousands of inhabited systems, worlds and cultures we can't even begin to imagine....there's about 12 people, apparently.

I've lived in my current apartment for 9 years and the same people have lived in the next apartment that entire time. I don't even know their names.

If anything makes the galaxy feel about the size of one floor of a freshman dorm, it's the PT.

Darth Vader just happened to beat up Greedo as a kid after he was finished building C-3PO who then went to live with Owen Lars a few decades before he buys him off some jawas but none of them remember any of it?

Yoda finishes Obi Wan's training but ten hangs out on Kashyyk with his good pal Chewbacca, and a few decades later, Obi Wan just happens to run into Chewbacca in a random bar on Tattooine, minutes before Greedo (who was beaten as a child by Vader, I know it's a deleted scene, but hear me out) is murdered?

R2-D2 also happens to be Anakin's personal astromech droid for about 20 years before becoming Luke's personal astromech droid?

In this vast universe full of thousands and thousands of inhabited systems, worlds and cultures we can't even begin to imagine....there's about 12 people, apparently.

I've lived in my current apartment for 9 years and the same people have lived in the next apartment that entire time. I don't even know their names.

tumblr_o0qnm6FF5N1up9aq7o2_400.gifv

Re the droids, they're the "heirlooms" of the Skywalker family, passed down from one generation to the next. It might not make sense if you watch the OT first but it makes perfect sense if you watch in episodic order.

They're also the "observers" of the Skywalker Saga, like we're watching it through their eyes. They lost that role in the ST which I think was lesser for it.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the Knights of Ren may have been wasted in the ST but they've now joined Crimson Dawn (the new Black Sun) in the comics, led by none other than Q'ira. There's also a character who resembles early concept art for Maul.

F8aFrVd.jpg

Re the droids, they're the "heirlooms" of the Skywalker family, passed down from one generation to the next. It might not make sense if you watch the OT first but it makes perfect sense if you watch in episodic order.

They're also the "observers" of the Skywalker Saga, like we're watching it through their eyes. They lost that role in the ST which I think was lesser for it.
I kinda like the idea that the SW saga was a story related by C-3PO to some scribe who passed it down. As such, with Threepio's mind being wiped in ROTS, the entirety of events from the PT is being related by an unreliable narrator. Told ya it shouldn't count. ;)

And he was wiped of his memory of much of TROS too. Excellent! It all makes so much sense! :lol

This is what happens when there is a prophecy….

I think :lol

tumblr_o0qnm6FF5N1up9aq7o2_400.gifv

Not sure how it makes sense if you watch in order…. They weren’t passed down. Captain Antilles owned them after Anakin.

even if you are talking in some philosophical way… I still don’t get it :lol

I agree about the observation part and the ST being lesser for it.

I kinda like the idea that the SW saga was a story related by C-3PO to some scribe who passed it down. As such, with Threepio's mind being wiped in ROTS, the entirety of events from the PT is being related by an unreliable narrator. Told ya it shouldn't count. ;)

And he was wiped of his memory of much of TROS too. Excellent! It all makes so much sense! :lol
I prefer the notion that the opening crawls and overall narrative of SW were excerpts from the Journal of the Whills or a story told by R2 many generations later. 3PO and his many mindwipes just doesn't work, though I do like your idea that the current PT was told badly by him where he invented some stupid crap to make himself more prominent like pretending that Anakin built him and that he was running around with a blaster in the Geonosis arena. :lol

I prefer the notion that the opening crawls and overall narrative of SW were excerpts from the Journal of the Whills or a story told by R2 many generations later. 3PO and his many mindwipes just doesn't work, though I do like your idea that the current PT was told badly by him where he invented some stupid crap to make himself more prominent like pretending that Anakin built him and that he was running around with a blaster in the Geonosis arena. :lol

ewok-cuddle.gif

Lol I always thought the Ewoks was silly. But at the same time adorable how the almighty empire couldnt withstand the might of the Care Bears

Lol I always thought the Ewoks was silly. But at the same time adorable how the almighty empire couldnt withstand the might of the Care Bears

Well, to be fair they are Care Bears that attack in large numbers and kill with crude weapons. Then they make decorations out of their victims and eat them. I'm not giving George a total pass here, but there was a real Gremlins element to those furry little Gizmos.

Aw crap, that's right, Lucas attributed narrator duties of the "Journal of the Whills" to Artoo. Threepio would be relegated to just translator (and yes, self-appointed editor).

Problematic for the ST since Artoo slept through almost all of TFA. :lol So, one way or another, a droid narrator leaves the whole episodic saga subject to some variation of the Rashomon effect. Which I guess is appropriate enough since it would broaden the overall Kurosawa influence. ;)

Back