Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natalie Portman is the reason I work out. I have this fantasy where we start talking at the Vanity Fair Oscars party bar. We exchange a few pleasantries. She asks what I do. I say I loved her in AOTC. She laughs. I get my drink.

"Well, see ya," I say and walk away. I've got her attention now. How many guys voluntarily leave a conversation with Natalie Portman? She touches her neck as she watches me leave.

Later, as the night's dragged on and the coterie of gorgeous narcissists grows increasingly loose, she finds me on the balcony, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette.

"Got a spare?" she asks.

"What's in it for me?" I say as I hand her one of my little white ladies. She smiles.

"Conversation with me, duh."

I laugh.

"What's so funny?" she protests.

"Nothing, nothing... It's just... don't you grow tired of the egos?"

"You get used to it," she says, lighting her cigarette and handing me back the lighter.

"What would you do if you weren't an actress?" I ask.

"Teaching, I think."

"And if I was your student, what would I be learning?"

"Discipline," she says quickly, looking up into my eyes, before changing the subject. "Where are you from?"

"Bermuda," I say.

"Oh wow. That's lovely."

"It's ok," I admit. "Not everything is to my liking."

"What could possibly be not to your liking in Bermuda?" she inquires.

"I don't like sand," I tell her. "It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

With the PT there is an element of the audience not "getting" what Lucas was trying to do. A lot of what we consider cringeworthy were conscious creative choices.

George made the PT for himself and his kids. But of course, you could argue that if it doesn't work for the audience then it's a failure.

It's George's universe, we're just living with it.

PT was a consistent and well-rounded vision. I mean it was mostly hot garbage, but it at least it all smelled like the same rotting pumpkin.

ST was slick film making by people with specialized talents and ego. JJ Abrams thought he was done after the first movie, so he made the force awakens almost 3 movies in 1. Good director, bad writer. Sure, there were threads to continue the trilogy, but the main beats of a trilogy were already there. TLJ confirmed the franchise was out of steam, the only thing left was stimulating the hardcore audience by killing the OGs.

JJ Abrams thought he was done after the first movie, so he made the force awakens almost 3 movies in 1.

Yes, the timing was bad. JJ was due for a break after several years' nonstop filmmaking and had to be cajoled into doing TFA. If Disney had been willing to give him a break first and not release TFA till, say, 2016 or 2017, he could have been more involved in the overall arc.

(Or, they could have got another director!)

In fact, the whole idea of biennial releases, along with sacked directors and axed scripts, ensured the ST was a rush job.

You st guys go to far trying to bring up minor things in ot and compare it to massive problems in the st. This why people blast you guys sometimes lol

I swear it's like they are cooperate disney robots or something. One is a guy who doesn't care that it sucks cause it caters to his nostagia from the past so he will gobble it up and swear it's good.

The other knows it sucks but doesn't want to admit it cause then he has to admit his franchise failed and he waited all these years for a good continuation but it sucked.

It's madness.

We all know about it, and we all see it. It's obvious. Nobody ever wants to admit it, but it's there.

The PT are great movies. The first question to ask: why? Why is it great? The obvious answer: George Lucas is a genius. He knows real Star Wars.

Likely explanation: I know that most of you are around 44 or 45 years old. That means you got into Star Wars 40 years ago. So you never took off those rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

And because you never took those glasses off, you try to compensate for that by diving into all-time gross and analyzing RT scores. But here's the thing: good movies don?t show up on Excel spreadsheets. The moment somebody brings up "TLJ was good? or "Rey Skywalker? I know they know nothing about Star Wars. PT being great cannot be encapsulated by one measurement. It?s the second best Star Wars trilogy ever, and one of the 5 best trilogies to ever see the screen.

So when I hear somebody say that the ST is better than PT, I laugh, because I know that anybody who watched the PT wouldn't think that. Unlike you guys, I have watched the PT for a significant amount of time, so I know that PT is better.

You might be jealous of PTs merch sales or jealous of the fact it is quickly becoming the greatest trilogy in Star Wars history, or whatever. Unless you're a Jurassic Park fan who watched movies in the 90s, or an LOTR fan who watched movies in the 2000s, you don't know what real, fun, beloved, world building movies looks like. And there's nothing wrong with that. This forum would make you think that PT isn't even a top 100 trilogy ever.

So don't go spouting ******** about movies you didn't watch. Talk about your "greats" like OT, but leave the PT talk to the young adults. Fair?

Damn man bravo. Yea it..... boggles my mind when someone says the ST is better than the PT. HUH? Yes the PT had stupid moments and was not done well but the ST is the most cooperate, soulless, lifeless, boring, horribly done trilofy i've seen in a long time.

Say what you will about PT and Muh anakin doesn't cry. bohoo. Yea well I didn't picture luke growing up being defeated loser who drinks from **** of a whale so i guess we both lost.
I know one thing tho, ROTS is still one of the greatest star wars movies of all time and people love it despite it's glaring flaws. ST and TLJ will forever be forgotten with a handful of fans here and there.

Whats sad is the potiental was there. It could have been amazing.

Talk about your "greats" like OT, but leave the PT talk to the young adults. Fair?

Anyone who actually remembers seeing TPM in 1999 is not a "young adult."

Damn man bravo. Yea it..... boggles my mind when someone says the ST is better than the PT. HUH? Yes the PT had stupid moments and was not done well but the ST is the most cooperate, soulless, lifeless, boring, horribly done trilofy i've seen in a long time.

Say what you will about PT and Muh anakin doesn't cry. bohoo. Yea well I didn't picture luke growing up being defeated loser who drinks from **** of a whale so i guess we both lost.
I know one thing tho, ROTS is still one of the greatest star wars movies of all time and people love it despite it's glaring flaws. ST and TLJ will forever be forgotten with a handful of fans here and there.

Whats sad is the potiental was there. It could have been amazing.

I dislike them equally, but for very different reasons that connect to the eras they were produced in.

a-dev....

I love you like a forum brother.

I tremendously love T1-T2.

But me seeing T1 and T2 on their opening weekends in a theater doesn?t even come close to me seeing SW in 77 as a 10 year old and ESB in 80 the experiences are not even in the same universe actually one was spiritual the other was cool.

So yeah I am very forgiving when it comes to those OT SW characters/actors to the point where I love Luke sucking on cow titty.

Much respect to you though lol

:duff

I think we've had this discussion before. I bring up Terminator because the first two movies are probably the closest thing I have to your connection with ANH and ESB - although perhaps not quite the same because I was too young to see either of them in the cinema on first release and, objectively speaking, because SW and ESB are probably more ''important/influential'' movies. Nevertheless my Terminator collection would attest that they must have had some impact on me.

It mattered not though that Arnie returned for T3 or that both Arnie AND Linda returned for Dark Fate. T3 flat-out sucked, Dark Fate took a ***t on the first two movies by killing John Connor and not even taking a new direction after having done so - it was just an excuse to reboot the same damn story over again, probably thinking that more girl power was reason enough....something familiar about that....

:duff

I think we've had this discussion before. I bring up Terminator because the first two movies are probably the closest thing I have to your connection with ANH and ESB - although perhaps not quite the same because I was too young to see either of them in the cinema on first release and, objectively speaking, because SW and ESB are probably more ''important/influential'' movies. Nevertheless my Terminator collection would attest that they must have had some impact on me.

It mattered not though that Arnie returned for T3 or that both Arnie AND Linda returned for Dark Fate. T3 flat-out sucked, Dark Fate took a ***t on the first two movies by killing John Connor and not even taking a new direction after having done so - it was just an excuse to reboot the same damn story over again, probably thinking that more girl power was reason enough....something familiar about that....

ANH > T1
ESB > T2
TPM >T3
TFA > TS
TLJ > TG
TROS > TDF
TCW > SCC

:lol:lol:lol

ANH > T1 I probably prefer to watch T1 but OK
ESB > T2 I'll permit. ESB is the definitive SW film for me when I'm in a SW mood
TPM >T3 I concur
TFA > TS I concur. Salvation is just very hard to care about.
TLJ > TG I'd go for Genisys myself
TROS > TDF Dark Fate. TROS bored me senseless, I didn't care about anything. At least with DF I had my outrage :lol
TCW > SCC Mandalorian > SCC perhaps. I've not watched TCW

:lol:lol:lol

My response edited in

My response edited in

Yes thank you for the Mandalorian fix much better analogy.

I never watched the SCC myself but it was still live action.

I’ll save TCW for when Cameron releases his Terminator animated series after not being allowed to make movies ever again after Avatar 2 and 3 bomb lol

Yes thank you for the Mandalorian fix much better analogy.

I never watched the SCC myself but it was still live action.

I’ll save TCW for when Cameron releases his Terminator animated series after not being allowed to make movies ever again after Avatar 2 and 3 bomb lol

I don't think they'll bomb. Primarily because I don't think they'll ever be released.

Back