Star Wars Celebration V: Main Event Freaks Camp Out

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furystorm

Super Freak
Reaction score
MEFCO
(Main Event Freaks Camp Out)

The Main Event begins at 11 AM on Saturday, August 14
MEFCO begins at ? on Friday August 13

The George Lucas panel is the premier event for me and one of the main reasons that I am attending CV. I'm opening a thread today so that we can begin to discuss our plans for MEFCO, the Main Event Freaks Camp Out, as it will henceforth be referred to.

Those Freaks interested in camping out with us over the Friday night of the show in anticipation of picking up wrist bands for the Main Event, please respond to this thread or pm me.

We can begin to make helpful arrangements, such as bringing coolers with refreshments, and locating nearby bathrooms, and the like here. I am willing to coordinate plans in any way that will be helpful so that any and all of us Freaks who would like to attend the George Lucas panel have every opportunity to do so.

The official information as of now:

General
George Lucas is appearing at Star Wars Celebration V on Saturday, August 14 on the Celebration Stage (Chapin Theater) inside the Orange County Convention Center. Being interviewed by The Daily Show's Jon Stewart, this live interview with George is guaranteed to be the crown jewel of the convention and, as such, has been simply and succinctly dubbed "The Main Event". The Main Event begins at 11 AM on Saturday, August 14. The event is free with admission to Star Wars Celebration V — no additional tickets are required — but the event is first come, first served.
It is the goal of Celebration V that as many fans as possible be able to see The Main Event as it happens. George Lucas and Jon Stewart are appearing for the fans, so our priority is to make this available to as many fans – ticketed attendees of Celebration V - as possible.
If you want to attend The Main Event, familiarize yourself with all the information below.
The Stage
The Main Event runs from 11 AM to 12 Noon (or a little later) on Saturday, August 14 in the Celebration Stage (Chapin Theater) in the Orange County Convention Center. The Celebration Stage seats approximately 2,600. As there are many more than 2,600 fans at SWCV who'll wish to attend, The Main Event is being broadcast live at the following locations:
Digital Stage (Valencia A) - 1,600 Seats
Behind-The-Scenes Stage (W414 ABCD) - 1,200 Seats
Fan Stage (W311 ABCD) - 800 Seats
In total, 6,200 attendees will be able to watch The Main Event at SWCV. If you are interested in being one of them — to attend The Main Event either in the Celebration Stage or in one of its satellite theaters — you DO NOT need an additional ticket, but you DO NEED a free wristband. Wristbands are given out first, come first served on Saturday morning starting at 6 AM. Unless you are a Jedi Knight or Master badge holder.
Jedi Knight And Jedi Master VIPs
Jedi Knight and Jedi Master VIPs are the only attendees who DO NOT need a wristband to attend The Main Event. Part of the Jedi Knight and Jedi Master ticket package is guaranteed seating inside the Celebration Stage. As The Main Event takes place on the Celebration Stage, all a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master needs to do is show their badge to be allowed in. Jedi Knights and Masters have a reserved section of seating up front and should show their badge to ushers at the Chapin Theater to be guided to this section. (Jedi Knights and Masters who arrive early will wait in the Jedi Knight and Master line in the Queue Hall. You are already guaranteed a seat, and — if you wait in line — you'll also be the first to be let in.)
General Attendees
Doors to the Orange County Convention Center Queuing Hall will open at 6 AM on Saturday, August 14. When (and after) doors open, all general attendees will be directed to the Queue Hall. Wristbands for The Main Event will be passed out at the entrance to the Queue Hall. Wristbands will be given out first, come first served. Wristbands will first be given out to the Celebration Stage. Once these have all been claimed, wristbands to the Digital Stage will be distributed. After Digital Stage Wristbands are gone, Behind-The-Scenes wristbands will be passed out. Finally, Fan Stage wristbands will be provided until these, too, have all been claimed. After receiving your Main Event wristband, you will then be directed to the general attendee line. Please note there is not a separate Main Event line. Instead, there is one, master general attendee line to enter the convention. This line will move at 10 AM when the show opens. Attendees with wristbands for the Celebration stage will be guided to the Celebration Stage, attendees with wristbands to the Digital Stage will be guided to the Digital Stage, etc. Attendees without wristbands are free to visit the Celebration Experience Exhibit Hall and all other show features.
Disabled
Disabled attendees wishing to attend The Main Event must adhere to the above General Attendee instructions. A separate Disabled line will exist every day of the show to provide priority entrance to the show floor. There is Disabled seating in the Celebration Stage as well. Note, however, waiting in the Disabled line does not guarantee seating to The Main Event. Wristbands will start being distributed at 6 AM at the entrance to the Queue Hall. Disabled fans wishing to attend The Main Event are encouraged to arrive as close to 6 AM as possible as tickets will be distributed first come, first served to all attendees — general attendees, Disabled, etc. Disabled attendees will still queue in the Disabled line for the Main Event, but must show up at 6:00 AM on Saturday if they want to be among the first to receive a wristband for the event. Each disabled attendee is allowed one guest, or the members of their immediate family only.
Hyperspace Members
Hyperspace members wishing to attend The Main Event must adhere to the above General Attendee instructions. A separate Hyperspace line will exist every day of the show to provide priority entrance to the show floor. Note, however, waiting in the Hyperspace line does not guarantee seating to The Main Event. Wristbands will start being distributed at 6 AM at the entrance to the Queue Hall. Hyperspace members wishing to attend The Main Event are encouraged to arrive as close to 6 AM as possible as tickets will be distributed first come, first served to all attendees — general attendees, Hyperspace members, etc. Hyperspace members will still queue in the Hyperspace line for the Main Event, but must show up at 6:00 AM on Saturday if they want to be among the first to receive a wristband for the event.
Press
Press wishing to attend The Main Event must adhere to the above General Attendee instructions. Wristbands will start being distributed at 6 AM at the entrance to the Queue Hall. Members of the press wishing to attend The Main Event are encouraged to arrive as close to 6 AM as possible as tickets will be distributed first come, first served to all attendees — general attendees, members of the press, etc. There will not be a separate line for press for the Main Event.
Volunteers
Should you wish to be a volunteer wishing to attend The Main Event, please contact SWCV's Volunteer Coordinator. A select number of volunteers will be needed to staff The Main Event. Volunteers who are not staffing The Main Event cannot be guaranteed admission.
Exhibitors, Partners, And Guests
Should you be an exhibitor, sponsor, or invited guest wishing to attend The Main Event, please reach out to your Star Wars Celebration V contact prior to the convention. Not all exhibitor, partner, and guest seating requests can be fulfilled, and no special seating requests can be accepted on-site.
One Wristband Per Attendee
One wristband will be given out per attendee beginning at 6 AM on Saturday, August 14. We are unable to provide additional wristbands to attendees who wish to provide them later to family or friends who have not yet arrived.
Cameras
Still photography of The Main Event is allowed; however, attendees must remain in their seats to take photos. Audio recording and/or video recording is prohibited.
Late Seating
The Main Event begins at 11 AM on Saturday, August 14. All attendees are requested to take their seats by 10:45 AM. Should an attendee — Jedi Knight or Master VIP, Hyperspace member, general attendee, etc. — arrive after 11 AM, they will be seated at the discretion of the Star Wars Celebration V staff. Late seating is not guaranteed.
Overnight
The doors to the Orange County Convention Center open at 6 AM on Saturday, August 14. We understand that camping out and waiting in line is part of the Star Wars fandom experience. Please, though, use your best judgment when deciding when you wish to arrive. No attendee will be permitted inside the convention center before 6 AM on the 14th or to wait inside overnight. For fans intending to arrive before 6 AM and wait outside, we strongly advise checking with weather reports, wearing proper clothing, and staying hydrated. Please, also, be aware of gators.
Questions
For any unanswered questions on The Main Event, please reach out to the contacts listed on the starwarscelebration.com Contact Us page.

Last edited:
MEFCO Attendees:

1. furystorm
2. Avfin
3. Darth Waller
4. Bamboota
5. jimjimmyjones85
6. m0reta (who will have his mother in line by 5 AM)
7. agen_kolar
8. jlprjlpr

current as of: 7/31/2010

Last edited:
You guys are nuts.

Yeah. It should be called "Main Event Freak-Out". :lol

All to just be in the same room as the man for an hour? Good luck to ya all. :duff

(Just remember, you're there to have a good time... if this interferes, ditch it immediately).

You guys are nuts.

Maybe, just a little. I just know I want to attend this panel and I'm willing to go the extra mile to do so. Many times in the past when I have taken on this type of challenge, the greatest memories came from the doing, or the waiting, not the actual event itself. Always a chance, but I'm wiling to see what's in store with an overnight Star Wars camp out. I never participated in one for any of the films, that just seemed kind of silly. But for the chance to listen to Lucas ruminate on his creation for even just a short time, count me in.

Save me a spot. I'll show up at 6am. :)

Now that wouldn't be quite fair now would it? Maybe I am wrong, but I think these are going to go quickly. But you did just make me wonder if I would be able to just scalp a wrist band, and get my sleep.

All to just be in the same room as the man for an hour? Good luck to ya all. (Just remember, you're there to have a good time... if this interferes, ditch it immediately).

Duly noted on the "fun" part, but like I said before, how many opportunities do I have left to camp out with a bunch of like minded Star Wars fans in my life. The films are gone, and I would not have done so for them anyway. This is the "maker."

I'm just hoping he comes to the 501st party. :)

Yes, I would think that would be unlikely. I'll bet he's in and out in a flash. Probably just a one day trip for him from wherever he happens to be coming from.

You guys are nuts.

Must be. I thought I would have a more positive reaction to the camp out idea. Still just me...

Must be. I thought I would have a more positive reaction to the camp out idea. Still just me...

I think you will get a few people. The news only broke recently and it hasn't set in to most people how IMPOSSIBLE it will be to get in to this event.

Camping will be the only option.

I would love to see the man in person, but I'm not sure how I would feel if I only ended up with a wristband to the broadcast instead. I'm an old man (42) who needs his sleep, but it may be fun trying to get a wristband.

Irish, any rumors as to what he'll talk about or is it just Q&A stuff from fans?

I am an old man too sir (36) who needs his sleep, except in times like these. I'm more than likely going to arrange nap time Friday night before getting into the line, and possibly after the event as well. Four days of show allows me to miss a bit.

Still just me...

I'd love to shake his hand and thank him for the trilogy that defined so much of my childhood. Other than that I'm not sure what we'd have to talk about. He and I obviously don't love the same things about SW anymore.

Yeah. It should be called "Main Event Freak-Out". :lol

All to just be in the same room as the man for an hour? Good luck to ya all. :duff

(Just remember, you're there to have a good time... if this interferes, ditch it immediately).

See this is the thing.

TOugh decision.;

Can you add me to the list for now. :thud:

You can add me too! I've some experience with the camp-out...even if it was sleeping on the streets of LA to see NIN last year. :-D

I will be holding a spot though...for my mom. She is too old though to stay overnight but I'll try to have her there by 5 or earlier. I gave her warning. :-D

Back