Star Wars: Ahsoka

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maul was cut in half and still survived. Waaaaaaa!!!!! Oh wait, he's a dude. In that case enjoy your free pass Sir Maul, for a second I thought you were one of those females trying to get special plot armour. Of course you can have some Sir, help yourself. Don't worry there's plenty to go around...for the men, obviously. We've already had 2 of the females steal some and we won't be letting that happen again anytime soon.

So just re-name this show….

Star Wars: Mary Sue

…and be done with it?…
I definitely wouldn’t say Ashoka is a Mary Sue, she’s a well written and fleshed out character. The problem with her for me is that she’s worn out her welcome. She should have died at the hands of Vader like Lucas wanted, Anakin thus killing both his apprentice and his master. Of course Filoni would never allow his orange waifu to be killed off. I’ll bet he’s already planning that Ashoka/Trapper Wolf love story.

Maul didn't survive in any Star Wars movie I ever saw.

Wasn't his "resurrection" brought to you by the same hack that gave us this rancid turd?

I guess in Filoni's SW universe, lightsabers are just made of Nerf material.
You do know that Maul was brought back whilst Lucas still owned and controlled Star Wars, right? Everything was approved by him. He always said killing Maul in TPM was a mistake.

But sure, blame Filoni.

It's not that Sabine got stabbed and survived, it's that it was played up for dramatic effect like it was this shocking "holy crap, oh no!" moment when that same thing has been done to many characters now with just as little effect. It just gets sillier and sillier each time it happens.

I would have preferred that Shin had instead blocked Sabine's blade and then when their sabers were locked reached out her other hand and used the Force to make some gnarly blade from an outdoor tool bench come flying and slash this nasty gash in Sabine's forehead, sending her to the ground. Then we could have all gone "daaaamn!" and still had Sabine recover without it feeling like "oh my gosh the stupid harmless lightsaber stab again??"

It's not that Sabine got stabbed and survived, it's that it was played up for dramatic effect like it was this shocking "holy crap, oh no!" moment when that same thing has been done to many characters now with just as little effect. It just gets sillier and sillier each time it happens.
I’d say it was more so to establish her as a threat to the main characters more than anything. Sure we saw her and Baylan slaughter some red shirts, but besting the main crew (and a Mandalorian) is a bit of a step up from that.

I don’t think anyone believed for a second that she’d die.

A couple of passing remarks.

I don't think Ahsoka is a Mary Sue. I'm not a fan of her character at all, but in fairness we watched her grow up on-screen, survive countless engagements in a deadly war; she was clearly gifted from childhood and -- fought alongside/was trained by -- some of the best warriors in the galaxy. (I don't know what it is with Star Wars and child soldiers).

Whether or not she resonates with you is irrelevant, she's no more or less a Mary Sue than Luke Skywalker, Han Solo or Leia in the OT ... all of whom repeatedly survived near insurmountable odds on many, many occasions, incurring just a handful of actual wounds between them and one carbonite nap. Not bad for a drug smuggling thief, an aristocrat and a hick taking on the Imperial war machine.

Ahsoka's gifts are axiomatic and subsequently developed over many years.

As for the stabbing ... leaving aside the surface temperature of a lightsaber (which appears to be flexible according to plot requirements anyway) ... it did appear to puncture a lung. I believe that's a survivable injury even in the real world if given immediate and advanced medical attention, so why not in Star Wars?

As to why Shin didn't kill her ... maybe a plot contrivance of the sort we either forgive or don't ... but I do tend to agree that she seemed to regard Sabine with curiosity. Maybe she was just playing with her food, who knows.

Again, don't love the show but I try to be fair when putting it in context.

You do know that Maul was brought back whilst Lucas still owned and controlled Star Wars, right? Everything was approved by him. He always said killing Maul in TPM was a mistake.

But sure, blame Filoni.

Lucas is also the same guy that had his lead character open mouth kiss his twin sister and claimed it was "always planned to be that way."

He's shoveled his own BS for so many decades he really believes it at this point, but we were all there and it was evident he was making things up as he went.

Still, he's the creator so I give him a little bit of leeway on stuff.

We have dozens of threads about what is or isn't "canon" in Star Wars, and most people seem to agree that it's a personal decision, not unlike your religious or political beliefs.

For me personally, Darth Maul is and always has been dead as ****. He was bisected and then fell into a bottomless pit. You don't walk away from that on "droid legs."

If they brought him back in some cartoon, I never saw it cause I didn't watch Clone Wars cause I hated the goony ugly art style. I'm also aware he had a cameo in "Solo" but that movie is less legitimate to me than the Holiday Special.

If believing Maul survived makes you happy, that's cool. I'm sticking to what I saw in 1999.

But Maul isn't really the issue. You just wanna dog me cause you think I hate these shallow, dull, bland characters only cause they're women. I hate them cause they SUCK. They're garbage. There wasn't a single character in this show that I cared one way or the other if they lived or died. Same with Rogue One. Same with Andor. Same with the Disney Trilogy. All the special effects in the world mean nothing when you don't give a toss about the characters.

I haven't been given a single compelling reason to even be curious about what's going on in Ahsoka or Sabine or Hera's head. And I'm a lifelong SW fan! This show gave me zero reason to care or get invested in these characters or their story, so why in the world would "normies" care? At least Obi Wan and Boba Fett are household names. Ahsoka and Andor aren't exactly inviting to new viewers.

What the hell was I complaining about again? Whatever.

I would have preferred that Shin had instead blocked Sabine's blade and then when their sabers were locked reached out her other hand and used the Force to make some gnarly blade from an outdoor tool bench come flying and slash this nasty gash in Sabine's forehead, sending her to the ground. Then we could have all gone "daaaamn!" and still had Sabine recover without it feeling like "oh my gosh the stupid harmless lightsaber stab again??"
I think it might have worked better if we had to wait a week between episodes as I'm sure was originally intended. Instead of having to wait only a few minutes to learn that she survived perfectly fine.

I can't deny though it was a pretty powerful ending to a premiere episode.

Grogu chooses Mandalorian gear.

Luke:

giphy.gif

Sabine chooses Mandalorian gear.

Ahsoka:

leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Maul was cut in half and still survived. Waaaaaaa!!!!! Oh wait, he's a dude. In that case enjoy your free pass Sir Maul, for a second I thought you were one of those females trying to get special plot armour. Of course you can have some Sir, help yourself. Don't worry there's plenty to go around...for the men, obviously. We've already had 2 of the females steal some and we won't be letting that happen again anytime soon.

Yup, one of the stupidest things to come from the SW universe. So dumb it's beyond comprehension how people were okay with. Maybe the cartoon fans are more forgiving than the live action ones?

Posted on another site:

"So Ahsoka refuses to train Grogu but does start to train Sabine but then ‘walks away’ from her but then decides to train Sabine because Sabine dresses up in her Mando gear and says ‘I’m ready’.

Great writing Dave!👍"

:lol

The opening is the worst offense.

That captain was the dumbest **** to ever be on screen: "They're not Jedi, but **** it, let them come on board anyway when we have a highly sought after criminal - and, I'm such a dumb-ass I'm going to go down there and confront these vile imposters and see for myself what type of fool would dare do such a thing!"

The fool was the captain, all his crew, and any audience member that was okay with this opening.

What a ridiculous, idiotic, inane, unintelligent, sad excuse for writing.

But hey, it's got the SW brand on it, so it must be good!

The opening is the worst offense.

That captain was the dumbest **** to ever be on screen: "They're not Jedi, but **** it, let them come on board anyway when we have a highly sought after criminal - and, I'm such a dumb-ass I'm going to go down there and confront these vile imposters and see for myself what type of fool would dare do such a thing!"
:lol

"These aren't Jedi, they're probably the same jerks that just freed Moff Gideon and slaughtered the entire crew. I'll give them a nice stern talking to for daring to do the same with me!"

Last edited:
But hey, it's got the SW brand on it, so it must be good!

I don't know what this Sy-Fy Channel/Farscape level horse**** is, but it sure as hell isn't Star Wars anymore.

Clearly people enjoy watching this stuff, and I hope they like it, but I've always found "Oh just turn your brain off!" to be a poor justification for piss-poor writing.

Star Wars is finished as far as I'm concerned. If I want the nostalgic ending, I can always stop here.

1 4mzYJONHrxPpdOxzRWos3g.jpg

If I want the cute, happy ending, I can stop here.

e54.jpg

But my personal favorite, and the one that I think has the most emotional weight, is the bittersweet ending, here.

the-mandalorian-luke-skywalker-1014x570.jpg

The rest is just corporate-funded fan fiction to me. Sabine "Poochie" Wren never existed in my Star Wars universe.

Back