1/6 Star wars 1/6 SDCC 2019 Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think JJ had those qualities but he just played it a little too safe on TFA for many fans. I personally thought he did a good job of including old and new and probably would have ramped it up in Ep. 8. RJ on the other hand pretty much dumped all over love, passion and respect for SW in my eyes.

Abrams needs to stick to tv. He did one good Star Trek film and all of a sudden he's the sci-fi genius.

I think JJ had those qualities but he just played it a little too safe on TFA for many fans. I personally thought he did a good job of including old and new and probably would have ramped it up in Ep. 8. RJ on the other hand pretty much dumped all over love, passion and respect for SW in my eyes.

Well put. This is exactly where I am at. Which as far as merchandise goes makes it kind of difficult to navigate the sequel trilogy. I liked some characters in TFA only to see them dumped on in TLJ. So I don't really know if I yet care to have them represented in my collection. Some of the designs I do really like though. The much maligned "duck troopers " for example, are very Mcquarrie- esque to me. Luckily, theres no shortage to go around:lol

Agreed. I think the key takeaway is “done correctly.” Which is rare like you said. The times it has been done correctly has given an added depth to said material, but I can maybe count on one hand well executed and clever insinuation in my experience.

I'd even say done correctly means in the right type of movie. There are movies dedicated to expressing political views or arguments in a powerful way. But jamming it into Star Wars is not the way to do it.

If that's her passion then go do it somewhere else in an appropriate film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm certain KK's strengths are not visionary Star Wars designs; I doubt she sits at home dreaming of a galaxy far, far away.

I do believe she is concerned with social issues, diversity, women's equality, democratic inclusiveness and all the other things we all are concerned about... but she does not have the good sense to either separate that from our fantasy world OR incorporate them in a clever yet subtle fashion.

That's a really great way to put it, and thanks for sharing that. I agree with you, especially seeing how on the nose some parts of TLJ was. And while I guess I did enjoy TLJ as a movie, when I really thought about it, it honestly didn't feel at place within the Star Wars universe, and KK and the other people part of SW did not manage to have a cohesive and planned out ST. Just 2 cents!

I’d prefer separate. I’m just getting sick of politics leaking into EVERY. SINGLE. THING. It ruins the escape. No matter how subtle, political references will always be viewed as propaganda.

...Star Wars always had them though. Big time [emoji2368] subtle in the OT and very pronounced in the PT.
Don’t see how it’s so much “worse” in the new movies unless it’s considered political to have female leads and a colored cast - but of course that’s not political, only natural and balanced.
In danger of repeating myself:
Some consider the “don’t fight what you hate, protect what you love” line political, but it’s basically what SW is all about and something Yoda could have said. If you let your hate control you and loose sight of what you’re fighting for - you turn to the dark side - if you fight to protect your values (love) and always know what you’re fighting for, you stay on the light side. The essentials of SW.
Just gonna leave these two links here before the pitchforks come after me:
0493a6585d0331ebd078ec82a06b9e0a.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sith-invites-bush-comparisons/

I'm also fine with female leads and all that but not so much of it all in your face all the time.

For example painting Lando as some robot loving "pan-sexual". I mean WTF ?

It's just not needed.

Here's my article.

https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.tel...ty-politics-has-ruined-star-wars-fanboys/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, really couldn’t see the point adding that to Lando’s character. Just keep him a suave MF and let people fill in the gaps. It added absolutely nothing to the story.
It’s all so loaded nowadays anyway. As I reread what I typed I thought “Does that make me sound anti pan sexual?” (I’m not) I just didn’t think the movie needed that to be implied.
Argh! Can’t we just like or not like a movie anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, really couldn’t see the point adding that to Lando’s character. Just keep him a suave MF and let people fill in the gaps. It added absolutely nothing to the story.

...well, we weren’t actually any specifics really. Just you filling in the gaps [emoji6]

...Star Wars always had them though. Big time [emoji2368] subtle in the OT and very pronounced in the PT.
Don’t see how it’s so much “worse” in the new movies unless it’s considered political to have female leads and a colored cast - but of course that’s not political, only natural and balanced.
Some consider the “don’t fight what you hate, protect what you love” line political, but it’s basically what SW is all about and something Yoda could have said. If you let your hate control you and loose sight of what you’re fighting for - you turn to the dark side - if you fight to protect your values (love) and always know what you’re fighting for, you stay on the light side. The essentials of SW.

While I do enjoy an occasional chuckle at the idea of the United States as SW's evil Empire, and China-backed communism in Vietnam as representing our plucky rebels fighting for freedom (I guess that would make Mao a Bothan, Pol Pot Admiral Ackbar and Chinese Uighurs as the Wookies of Kasshhyyk?) I think what Cagoda was talking about was IDENTITY POLITICS, not that ingenious-yet-dubious political subtext in Star Wars.

And if you detected any connection to anything resembling the real world in the PT, politics or otherwise, pronounced or otherwise, please expand. I've been waiting for clarification on that taxation of trade routes dispute thing - I mean something beyond GL's long-held hatred of unions and taxes (“don’t fight what you hate, protect what you earn”) - since 1999.:lecture

I really hope we see Donald Glovers Lando and Slave Leia. Itd be nice if Endor Leia gets put up for pre order after SDCC

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Could it be...that these films were always a poorly thought out pastiche of genre tropes and distorted fragments of zeitgeist wrapped in a high calorie, sugary coating meant to be consumed with over-salted, greasy popcorn?

That we've carried these memories into adulthood and begun projecting social commentary and personal politics on to imperfect, nostalgic recollection by reflex, imbuing whiz-bang stories for children with ideas that were never there or only thinly veneered on in order to scotch-tape the cellophane plot together?

Could it be that this is all a meaningless diversion with no depth at all? :dunno

While I do enjoy an occasional chuckle at the idea of the United States as SW's evil Empire, and China-backed communism in Vietnam as representing our plucky rebels fighting for freedom (I guess that would make Mao a Bothan, Pol Pot Admiral Ackbar and Chinese Uighurs as the Wookies of Kasshhyyk?) I think what Cagoda was talking about was IDENTITY POLITICS, not that ingenious-yet-dubious political subtext in Star Wars.

And if you detected any connection to anything resembling the real world in the PT, politics or otherwise, pronounced or otherwise, please expand. I've been waiting for clarification on that taxation of trade routes dispute thing - I mean something beyond GL's long-held hatred of unions and taxes (“don’t fight what you hate, protect what you earn”) - since 1999.:lecture

I’m not going to rank which kinds of politics are allowed in SW...
You can start with reading the article that I posted in my last comment. It’s about how the PT has intended parallels to the politics of Bush jr and so on... :)

0493a6585d0331ebd078ec82a06b9e0a.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sith-invites-bush-comparisons/

:exactly: I think TLJ is packed with ideas and themes, including examining the archetypal male hero and daring to challenge the archetype and suggest a new path to heroism. The OT was presented as more of a fantasy with a heavy emphasis on the hero’s journey. So the politics could be seen as more subtle, but they’re definitely there, as stated above. On the other hand, I find the PT to be the most overtly political.

So... back to figures...

Do we know on average how many figures have been revealed in the last few years at SDCC? I know last year was Maul, and I believe Cody? 2017 I know they had new Kylo, Rey, Luke, etc. but I can't remember if that was NYCC.

Could it be...that these films were always a poorly thought out pastiche of genre tropes and distorted fragments of zeitgeist wrapped in a high calorie, sugary coating meant to be consumed with over-salted, greasy popcorn?

That we've carried these memories into adulthood and begun projecting social commentary and personal politics on to imperfect, nostalgic recollection by reflex, imbuing whiz-bang stories for children with ideas that were never there or only thinly veneered on in order to scotch-tape the cellophane plot together?

Could it be that this is all a meaningless diversion with no depth at all? :dunno

Yes. :)

So... back to figures...

Do we know on average how many figures have been revealed in the last few years at SDCC? I know last year was Maul, and I believe Cody? 2017 I know they had new Kylo, Rey, Luke, etc. but I can't remember if that was NYCC.

I’m sure I could count but the number of display only figures they show and never release is too much for my poor heart right now.

So... back to figures...

I think Bespin Leia was also revealed last year.

I think you’re actually spot-on. Lucas just wanted to make a fantasy film for kids that had strong (if basic) moral messages that he thought was missing at the time. He grabbed a bunch of ideas and referenced movies he loved and made a fun romp in outer space with Wookiees and droids under incredibly testing conditions.

I still love the original movies. There’s a sense of fun and ingenuity about them, but they’re simple tales of right and wrong made in a time before streaming and social media.
Now everything’s over analysed. Fan theories and speculation try to find a deeper meaning in everything and the chatter is deafening. It’s all binary. It’s the best thing ever, or it totally sucks. Like, dislike. Mary Sue! SJW!........
I just want to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.

I think you’re actually spot-on. Lucas just wanted to make a fantasy film for kids that had strong (if basic) moral messages that he thought was missing at the time. He grabbed a bunch of ideas and referenced movies he loved and made a fun romp in outer space with Wookiees and droids under incredibly testing conditions.

I still love the original movies. There’s a sense of fun and ingenuity about them

Yep!

An amalgam of familiar archetypes wrapped up in common mythology that everyone could relate to and set in a magical time long ago in a wonderful galaxy far, far away.

Back