Star Ace Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Hermione Granger 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true. I just can’t help but hope that if they get enough feedback and cancellations, they’ll understand what’s riding on the performance of this figure and since they already have the prototype sculpt, they can offer that up. I’d personally even pay extra (albeit resentfully) to get that original head sculpt from them.

Should the same SSC feedback approach be used to put the pressure on Star Ace for their other figures?

I feel their 300 line (Queen Gorgo & General Artemisia) have bad sculpts that barely resemble the actresses... I guess the Hermione situation is a little different because they sold us an initial bill of goods (with a decent sculpt) but the final product does not deliver.

With Asmus, I noticed their first run of Lord of the Ring figures (specifically Merry, Pippin, Frodo, Sam) had lackluster sculpts. But recently, they announced $35 upgrade packs that includes a new/improved sculpt and additional accessories for those who already bought the initial figure... not a perfect a solution but at least collectors were given an option.

Like others have been saying, it's a shame with what is happening to Asmus... but they still seem to have some quality figures in the pipeline - Newt looks pretty spectacular. I did not even enjoy Fantastic Beasts that much but I am contemplating buying the figure if StarAce delivers on the prototype.

Yes, I’m also thinking of the Asmus LotR line here, too. It’s not ideal and it definitely does put a chip on one’s shoulder since the better one should have been offered outright, but even a mildly cringe-y solution is a solution. It’d definitely make me, and I’m sure many others, less put out and less likely to cancel preorders in droves.

I have just never, EVER seen quality in any figure drop to the degree this one has. It’s alarmingly different and worse.

And regardless if they do anything about it, I think feedback to both Sideshow and Star Ace needs to happen, beyond just canceling preorders. They need to know that collectors feel duped and incredibly disappointed, and that faith in their line and company will remain shaken without response or remedy.

Last edited:
I honestly think we're screwed. This figure is happening, sadly.

Oh well. Guess that's more money in my wallet.

And regardless if they do anything about it, I think feedback to both Sideshow and Star Ace needs to happen, beyond just canceling preorders. They need to know that collectors feel duped and incredibly disappointed, and that faith in their line and company will remain shaken without response or remedy.

My impression is that they may simply have their hands tied financially based on the discussion points above, and just have no choice but to ride this release out and take the lumps you are describing above. They are definitely aware of the reputation hit they are in store for. They will have calculated this as a necessary evil to keep them from losing even more of their investment.

And worse, if/when this release tanks as bad as we all expect it will, SA may have to do a cost/benefit analysis to see if moving forward with any of their scheduled releases :(

All this is speculation, of course. It would be nice for a SA Representative to come forward and tell us what's actually going on, but that ain't gonna happen...

Wow.

This figure is so bad, I would seriously anticipate cancellations left and right, which could put such a dent in their bottom line that they may have to reevaluate whether or not to keep doing 1/6th HP figures, since they're already pushing 1/8th much harder these days. That would be unfortunate, but they're not Hot Toys where they can eat a loss like this.

I really wanted to get Newt, the prototype looked really good, but after this, I'm definitely hesitant. I think Newt is probably their next release at this point, so that's probably going to be a make or break moment for Star Ace.

It's far too late to change the sculpt, the figures are probably in transit as we speak.

Last edited:
Ugh. Such a shame. Sideshow hasn’t gotten any update on it yet apparently. They get a heads up two weeks prior to it being in transit I guess.

My impression is that they may simply have their hands tied financially based on the discussion points above, and just have no choice but to ride this release out and take the lumps you are describing above. They are definitely aware of the reputation hit they are in store for. They will have calculated this as a necessary evil to keep them from losing even more of their investment.

And worse, if/when this release tanks as bad as we all expect it will, SA may have to do a cost/benefit analysis to see if moving forward with any of their scheduled releases :(

All this is speculation, of course. It would be nice for a SA Representative to come forward and tell us what's actually going on, but that ain't gonna happen...

And I completely agree that a representative should step forward and say something. I’d been in some correspondence with them getting updates, and she was actually initially supposed to ship to distributors on the 20th of October. They’ve generally been excellent with responses, and by the beginning of this month, they went dark on any info regarding this release. They’ve got to know what they’re putting out there is subpar - it’s just not fair to charge people what they’re charging when they’re clearly not releasing something worth that much. :(

I think they've got to do something about this. But at the same time, its clearly too late to change the figure.

What about some sort of head replacement option? Both Big Chief and QMX did this on certain releases after problems developed with the headsculpt that were too late to change before production.

Big Chief offered an alternate head for their 4TH Doctor 1/6 figure.
I bought that figure. The original head wore a rather gloomy expression.
It also had a 5 O'clock shadow, which nobody liked, myself included. I'd purchased
the figure because I wanted so badly to have a 4TH Doctor, as he's my favorite.
I came to dislike the figure more with time, but am very pleased with the alternate
head.. It's a smiling face. The 4TH Doctor did smile often.

Both heads looked very much like the 4TH Doctor.
The smiling face was more pleasant to look at, though.

Holy hell this looks awful. I don’t know if I’ve seen a sculpt this horrifying since I’ve been in the hobby.. lol :horror

EDIT: Well not since that Sideshow Nathan Drake now that I think about it. :lol

Last edited:
Holy hell this looks awful. I don’t know if I’ve seen a sculpt this horrifying since I’ve been in the hobby.. lol :horror

EDIT: Well not since that Sideshow Nathan Drake now that I think about it. :lol

a05ba3ef-cfd1-4451-be3d-09a9cabfcc57_zpsa8d117c8.jpg

But Big Chief did offer an alternative for anyone that wanted it. Star Ace should consider the same.

Yea, if some kind of replacement is offered all will be forgiven and i'l keep my preorder.

Yea, if some kind of replacement is offered all will be forgiven and i'l keep my preorder.

100% agreed. I called Sideshow, and they said that if I decide to order it and even open it and “can’t bear to look at it” I can return it, so I think currently I’m going to give it a shot, and keep fingers crossed that some sort of solution from Star Ace or a third party will arise.

Back