SSC Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This figure galls me every time I see it. I guess I should unsubscribe from this thread. Lol. It was shamefully overpriced at the time and did not say limited edition, so I “came to my senses” and decided it would be the first Sideshow Star Wars figure that I would not pre-order since every other one I had pre-ordered ended up in the bargain bin. That sure didn’t work out. Meanwhile they keep reissuing Probe Droids, and they must have made enough Jawas for every man, woman, and child on earth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grabbed one quick when Popcultcha offered a slight discount. But I agree, the release of this was just strange. The price, the sellout, the limited number, all of it. It's almost as if they decided to use this one very desirable figure to make it known that there could be consequences for not pre-ordering.

This release was always going to sellout IMO. I was on the pre order list from day one. I also managed to pick a second up from an Austrailan seller later on eBay for well under retail. I just couldn’t sleep one night and ended up scanning the bay at 2.30 am. It popped up in my saved list and I snapped it up. I’ve never been so pleased to have insomnia 😀

After Red Five hung around forever (and is still not to hard to get) I guess Sideshow slashed production on this. I assume preorder numbers were low too based on the price complaints at the time. As soon as it sold out before release I swallowed the cost and PO'd at Popcultcha. Some got lucky and grabbed the last few for a good price from Popcultcha had when they had a flash sale not long after release. I agree with others that is one of the best star wars sixth scale figures.

One thing I notice with a few photos of this guy is the ‘Michelin Man’ appearance that comes from unfutzed shoulders.

They create a broad curve where the jacket — puffy though it is — should follow the shoulders and display a little more angularity.

Working the shoulders carefully back and forth, while gently shifting and pinching the jacket around the traps and shoulders, should make it appear less rounded and more natural, IMO.

70a6c8377615efbc24c35b7930b895b7.jpg

Looks almost human. But is this your futzed unit? Is this the result of the treatment you propose?

Part of it may be that a lot of people see no reason to part with it.

- No idea if it will ever be re-issued.
- No idea when Hot Toys will take a crack at it or if it’ll be as good.
- Great figure from one of the best set pieces in what is commonly thought to be the best Star Wars film.
- Paint could be better, but helmet-on it’s arguably the best Skywalker likeness along with DX07 BD.

It’s even better than helmet-on X-Wing Luke, IMO.

Hot Toys WILL DO this guy, and better than Sideshow. Dirtier, better helmet, better body, better pleather parts, better likeness, better boots.

Has anybody actually compared the x-wing Luke helmet with this one? Any pics anybody?

m.

Looks almost human. But is this your futzed unit? Is this the result of the treatment you propose?

Yep -- that one has had the shoulders worked in a bit. Out of the box he looks very round.

Hot Toys WILL DO this guy, and better than Sideshow. Dirtier, better helmet, better body, better pleather parts, better likeness, better boots.

They surely will, but when is a big question. Could take years.

- Hot Toys weathering is generally better than SSC's, but can also be heavy-handed on some figures.

- The helmet will likely be better if ANH Luke's training helmet is anything to go by.

- Better body is a given.

- Not sure about the pleather. HT stuff can be every bit as dodgy as SSC's.

- Boots are no guarantee. The HT Snowtrooper is excellent overall, but their boots aren't great. They look a little rushed and cheap. ESB Leia's boots are very good, so there's always that to consider.

- Likeness is where I have no faith in HT. They've missed more than they've hit with OT Star Wars likenesses; the paint will undoubtedly be better but the rest is a coin toss until we see it.

Has anybody actually compared the x-wing Luke helmet with this one? Any pics anybody?

m.

There are pics in this thread somewhere. I may even have some on a hard drive somewhere...the paint on X-Wing's face is flatter by a bit, but the portrait has some great angles so long as the helmet stays on.

There's probably a very good chance HT will get round to this eventually. But there's no guarantee as to when that might be. People have thought a Biker Scout is just around the corner yet we've got ROTJ Stormtroopers coming our way and not even close to a tease of a Scout with them.

With the amount of time HT spends on Marvel figures (which will only get worse now Disney have acquired Fox) who knows when they'll look at producing figures that already have decent versions on the market? They haven't even PO'd Endor Leia yet. Still no PO for Bespin Han. No Lando at all. If and when they get round to it I'm sure I'll have enjoyed the 5 to 10 years I'll have spent looking at this figure. I'd probably hazard a guess that a v2 Bespin Luke might see light of day before a Snowspeeder version.

There's probably a very good chance HT will get round to this eventually. But there's no guarantee as to when that might be.

That's it in a nutshell. No guarantees of any kind with this company. Once a figure goes up for pre-order I'm confident we'll get it, the rest is just vapour -- even if we see a prototype.

Absolutely we'll get an ESB Luke. Just don't know when or which one they'll lead with. Could be years.

Yep -- that one has had the shoulders worked in a bit. Out of the box he looks very round.

They surely will, but when is a big question. Could take years.

- Hot Toys weathering is generally better than SSC's, but can also be heavy-handed on some figures.

- The helmet will likely be better if ANH Luke's training helmet is anything to go by.

- Better body is a given.

- Not sure about the pleather. HT stuff can be every bit as dodgy as SSC's.

- Boots are no guarantee. The HT Snowtrooper is excellent overall, but their boots aren't great. They look a little rushed and cheap. ESB Leia's boots are very good, so there's always that to consider.

- Likeness is where I have no faith in HT. They've missed more than they've hit with OT Star Wars likenesses; the paint will undoubtedly be better but the rest is a coin toss until we see it.

There are pics in this thread somewhere. I may even have some on a hard drive somewhere...the paint on X-Wing's face is flatter by a bit, but the portrait has some great angles so long as the helmet stays on.

There's probably a very good chance HT will get round to this eventually. But there's no guarantee as to when that might be. People have thought a Biker Scout is just around the corner yet we've got ROTJ Stormtroopers coming our way and not even close to a tease of a Scout with them.

With the amount of time HT spends on Marvel figures (which will only get worse now Disney have acquired Fox) who knows when they'll look at producing figures that already have decent versions on the market? They haven't even PO'd Endor Leia yet. Still no PO for Bespin Han. No Lando at all. If and when they get round to it I'm sure I'll have enjoyed the 5 to 10 years I'll have spent looking at this figure. I'd probably hazard a guess that a v2 Bespin Luke might see light of day before a Snowspeeder version.

I totally understand your being pessimistic. You have good reasons, for that matter. Granted, HT is turning in disappointing figs in the SW line...
We'll see...
m.

Its a nice looking figure but the shoulders do look too rounded. I can't put my finger on it, but the body portions look off

Its a nice looking figure but the shoulders do look too rounded. I can't put my finger on it, but the body portions look off

For the shoulders there are easy ways to make them look less rounded. And it’s a puffy jacket so for Hoth they would look kind of rounded.
Do you have the figure? I mean, one of the great things about this one is that it looks so real.

There’s only one on eBay for over $1000. Really depressed I missed this but I’ll get a Hoth Luke until I can find one. I just started collecting HT earlier this month. If anyone has one for sale or knows where it is I would be eternally grateful.

There’s only one on eBay for over $1000. Really depressed I missed this but I’ll get a Hoth Luke until I can find one. I just started collecting HT earlier this month. If anyone has one for sale or knows where it is I would be eternally grateful.

I’ve been in the 1/6 game for ... 7 years? Somewhere between 5-7 years anyway.

Here’s what I’ve learned:

1. Sooner or later, things you thought were out of reach will pop up. Be patient. It’s happened to me multiple times now.

2. Pricing on eBay like what you’re seeing is blatantly opportunistic; it targets the deep pockets, the desperate and the uninformed. Don’t pay it unless money is no issue at all and you’re not bothered on principle. Otherwise see above and wait.

3. With an evergreen intellectual property like Star Wars, chances of either a re-issue or a release from a competing company like Hot Toys in this case, is likely to the point of being inevitable. Be patient.

The figure is excellent and the only *current* iteration. That status will not last.

It’s nowhere near worth over a thousand dollars. Hell, I put out original retail price (when factoring in trades and cash) to get mine and I still think — strictly speaking — I overpaid a bit.

Do I regret it? No. Would I pay more? Probably not.

Don’t be depressed. Something will come around.

Hot Toys are usually pretty observant of secondary market prices and like to get in on the action when they can.

Considering they haven't finished the obvious ESB figures yet, I imagine it is only a question of time until they bring out a killer version of this Luke. I'd guess it as this year at this point. Next year latest, when there are not any Star Wars films.

Yeah, I bought a third one and almost tripled my money when I sold it (I got that one for under retail though.):horror

Back when retail was considered insane for this figure and now you’d give anything to be able to get it for that. :lol

Back