SSC Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I stand corrected. I thought it was Hot Toys having a go at it, as Sideshow already did one. Makes the price even more outrageous considering Sideshow already have the tooling and are just modifying it slightly. $250 bucks. Wow.

Haven't followed this that closely but I believe it's an all new sculpt.

Sideshow figures are technically limited. They used to put the number out there right on the webpage, hence the whole priority preorder days. Remember that?! They started leaving off actual production sizes after the first few years, and I assume they really started cranking those out. With their inflation in figure price, they have stopped producing as many, and hence Luke's possible sell out.

If you look on the 4-Lom, IG-88, or Dengar pages, you can see that for some figures, they've started advertising the edition size again. Those are all only 2000 pieces (for that specific version of each). That's not too many.

I have to wonder if the 2000 edition size applied to this one. A lead character presented in a well - rendered version from the fan - favorite movie. It boggles the mind.
And yes, I'm kicking myself for not jumping on this one before it disappeared, but that priced scared me off...looking at other comparable figures, I thought I had time.

Heck, even the HT ANH Luke took longer to sell out than this one. I hope there is a second run here...I'm liking the in-hand shots I'm seeing in here and hate to miss it...

OK I stand corrected. I thought it was Hot Toys having a go at it, as Sideshow already did one. Makes the price even more outrageous considering Sideshow already have the tooling and are just modifying it slightly. $250 bucks. Wow.

Well, I look at it this way, does this look accurate to what it's supposed to be and how much do I really want it. Personally, I can live without Carbonite Han, it didn't interest me the first time Sideshow offered one. Snowspeeder Luke on the other hand, I think if I couldn't get the discount I had with mine, I'd still buy one at full retail. I wouldn't like the price but I had to have him.
If someone really wants that Carbonite Han thing, they'll buy it.

I've come to an understanding about Sideshow, they deliberately inflate their prices so that with a coupon it comes down to it's true retail price. A lot of stores do this, for example; Duluth Trading Company has intentionally inflated prices that always come down to it's true retail price with a regular discount, never buy the stuff unless you can get it with a discount.

Last edited:
I haven't bought many figures lately, but when this one came up, I instantly preordered. My favorite Luke from my favorite movie. I figured I'd customize (to a certain degree) whatever didn't look right to my eye. And this has SO MUCH that looks right, straight out of the box. The headsculpt are BOTH a mixed bag. The helmeted sculpt looks terrible because of those eye brows. And the unhelmeted sculpt looks terrible because of the hair and dead eyes. I truly don't know why Sideshow chose to place the pupils directly in the center of the eyeball. Their paint methods, especially on eyes, have definitely improved in the last few years, but there's still something missing. Overall, though, this figure is a home run, and I'm quite happy that I got on board early. Anyways, I was messing around with him today, and I think I've found a VERY acceptable alternative to both headsculpts.
I removed the hair from the unhelmeted version, and removed the actual helmet from the other, and then combined them. It's a rough mockup right now, and I'll have to use some foam to make everything sit properly, but here's how it turned out. I haven't tried mixing any of the DX07 parts on him yet, though I might (the gunbelt in particular). But I think he looks fabulous this way. See what you think. Crude cell phone picture...

180AEDB4-DD92-4DCA-99B6-C60119F7D711.jpg

I wondered about how that might look the other day.... great work rubio, this sculpt is not so bad.

It actually looks great, the eyebrows are much better on this one.

The pity is that you loose the detail of having the hood there, right?

I wondered about how that might look the other day.... great work rubio, this sculpt is not so bad.

It actually looks great, the eyebrows are much better on this one.

The pity is that you loose the detail of having the hood there, right?

Thanks, parra. Yes, you lose the hood, but the film varies so much, from shot to shot, that it shouldn't be a huge concern. He's only wearing the hood in the snow on Hoth (not when he's talking with Han/Chewie or manning the Snowspeeder). And once he leaves Hoth, he's not wearing it, either. It's a great detail that Sideshow included, though. I think that this figure is MOSTLY intended to be just the time Luke is actually in the snow on Hoth (hence the puffy underpants).

I'll take some more pics tomorrow, but it's a new way to display him and I like it.

I haven't bought many figures lately, but when this one came up, I instantly preordered. My favorite Luke from my favorite movie. I figured I'd customize (to a certain degree) whatever didn't look right to my eye. And this has SO MUCH that looks right, straight out of the box. The headsculpt are BOTH a mixed bag. The helmeted sculpt looks terrible because of those eye brows. And the unhelmeted sculpt looks terrible because of the hair and dead eyes. I truly don't know why Sideshow chose to place the pupils directly in the center of the eyeball. Their paint methods, especially on eyes, have definitely improved in the last few years, but there's still something missing. Overall, though, this figure is a home run, and I'm quite happy that I got on board early. Anyways, I was messing around with him today, and I think I've found a VERY acceptable alternative to both headsculpts.
I removed the hair from the unhelmeted version, and removed the actual helmet from the other, and then combined them. It's a rough mockup right now, and I'll have to use some foam to make everything sit properly, but here's how it turned out. I haven't tried mixing any of the DX07 parts on him yet, though I might (the gunbelt in particular). But I think he looks fabulous this way. See what you think. Crude cell phone picture...

180AEDB4-DD92-4DCA-99B6-C60119F7D711.jpg

That's great work Rubio. Would you mind giving a rub down of how you took the helmet off the head? I'd like to try something similar but would be interested to hear about any pitfalls.

That's great work Rubio. Would you mind giving a rub down of how you took the helmet off the head? I'd like to try something similar but would be interested to hear about any pitfalls.

First your wife caught you taking pictures for the Sideshow freaks in the wee hours and now this. Good luck explaining this one Tom:lol

I'd give it a miss Tom.... Sounds pretty painful to me :horror

OMG! I come back to this thread and find myself the subject of vicious rumours! It's all the fault of auto-correct, I swear!

So I made some adjustments to the headsculpt combo. I think it looks much better, although I really want the unhelmeted head to be my main display (Dagobah version).

As far as removing the helmet, although I don't have the Red 5 figure, it appears to be the same 3-piece design, with a smidge of glue keeping it together. I was able to take it apart without any tools. The crown/visor lifted straight up and off, and the two sides split apart slowly but surely by just using my fingernail to separate them. The non-helmeted headsculpt has a drop of glue where the base of the skull is - I was also able to separate the two pieces without tools, so all pieces can be reattached without damage to the figure at all.

I was able to secure the alternate headsculpt inside of the helmet by using a small square of foam to make the fit snug. It's a better portrait of Luke, and although the unaltered helmeted headsculpt looks fine (except the damned eyebrows), this looks better to me. It also drastically reduces the 'dead eye' look on the unhelmeted sculpt.
I took a few quick pictures. Let me know what you think...

009.jpg

016.jpg

029.jpg

Some savvy, smaller company needs to come out with a 'Snow Pilot' clothing set complete with coat, gloves boots, holster, blaster and grapple gun.

Back