SSC Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Firefly?

In all seriousness though, there are people who are like diet G.I. Joe fans telling the hardcore collectors who've been picking this stuff up since the straight-armed RAH figures what's right and what's wrong. I think that's equally insulting, personally.

Well, it's not even a matter of "diet fans" telling the hardcore what they should do. There's a much better way they could have approached it:

1. Build a coalition: "Hey, I know some of you don't mind the look of the figure, but let's say if we try to push for these changes" (insert mock-up pictures) "We'd like you to join in to help push for these changes if you feel these changes still represent something you'd purchase."
2. Stop the "Sideshow won't do anything anyway" talk - it's basically making up an excuse for failure before even trying.
3. Forget the petition - use your coalition to send emails to Sideshow. POLITE, intelligent ones that outlines changes you'd like to see, express disappointment, etc. No nerd rage of how they killed your childhood, or stuff like that. Use SPELLCHECK and don't crank out a 2 sentence email that you put together in 30 seconds.

Hardcore Firefly fans - if you want to at least TRY to make the change, do it right! Be persuasive in what you want to try to achieve.

Even so I still think complaints would be generous in number. Bottom line is with the all drastic updates at once it doesn't look enough like firefly.
That stament reads true for many who've seen the concept art or not.

The only thing that makes him firefly now is his arsenal of explosives. I strongly believe that if they had gotten the color scheme of dark gray and medium gray camo from head to toe including the mask and had the other bandolier, but everything else was the same... A LOT more of us would be accepting of the changes to the jacket design, googles, weapon changes, and such.

Well, it's not even a matter of "diet fans" telling the hardcore what they should do. There's a much better way they could have approached it:

1. Build a coalition: "Hey, I know some of you don't mind the look of the figure, but let's say if we try to push for these changes" (insert mock-up pictures) "We'd like you to join in to help push for these changes if you feel these changes still represent something you'd purchase."
2. Stop the "Sideshow won't do anything anyway" talk - it's basically making up an excuse for failure before even trying.
3. Forget the petition - use your coalition to send emails to Sideshow. POLITE, intelligent ones that outlines changes you'd like to see, express disappointment, etc. No nerd rage of how they killed your childhood, or stuff like that. Use SPELLCHECK and don't crank out a 2 sentence email that you put together in 30 seconds.

Hardcore Firefly fans - if you want to at least TRY to make the change, do it right! Be persuasive in what you want to try to achieve.

Well, that would involve a LOT of effort though. It's easier for them to just to whine about it here. :lol

Even so I still think complaints would be generous in number. Bottom line is with the all drastic updates at once it doesn't look enough like firefly.

The only thing that makes him firefly now is his arsenal of explosives. I strongly believe that if they had gotten the color scheme of dark gray and medium gray camo from head to toe including the mask and had the other bandolier, but everything else was the same... A LOT more of us would be accepting of the changes to the jacket design, googles, weapon changes, and such.

He comes with googles?! :horror

Seriously, though does it match the card art? No, and admittedly so. While all the drama queens would have you thinking otherwise, that figure does resemble Firefly. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but 100 people sending in emails about 100 different kinds of changes will do zilch. Again, try to build a coalition around a certain set of specific changes and work on Sideshow for that. If people here are serious, they need to organize. Come up with a set parameters of changes to mobilize for and organize people for them in a cohesive manner.

Well, that would involve a LOT of effort though. It's easier for them to just to whine about it here. :lol

:lol Well, some intrepid fellow out there needs to stand up then! (I have no idea why I'm trying to rally this...)

:lol Well, some intrepid fellow out there needs to stand up then! (I have no idea why I'm trying to rally this...)

Me either. Having joined waaaaaaaaay back in August of '07, you should pretty much already know how this goes down. Everybody whines here, the PPO goes up, he sells out in 5 minutes, processing notices come and despite the multitude of people "canceling" he never goes up on 2nd chance. :lol

Just take a look around here, Hisstank & other fourms about this issue. Count how many people have commented on the SS site about this.
I would say the group to have the mask changed outweighs the happy with this one group. Even you said you would be cool with changing the mask.....And don't forget about the lazy pissed off people who buy this line but don't post.

OK, lets put this to the test on Monday and see how long it takes for the exclusive to sell out. Trust me, companies would rely on interweb forums for marketing research a lot more seriously than they do if it was a true reflection of the buy demographic. As much as you'd like to think it is, it isn't.

Most people who are happy with what they purchase feel no need to talk about it with people on the net. Simple fact.

You ask me, this figure will sell just as well as the others, and the people who aren't buying it now will end up looking for it once in hand pictures start turning up. We've seen it 1, 000 times and its always the same.

Even though some people are convinced the sky is falling, it isn't... and even if it were falling, its only made of air, so who cares?

Bottom line: It would be cool if they repainted the mask, but if they don't Firefly will still be a welcome addition to my SSC Joe collection.

Bottom line: It would be cool if they repainted the mask, but if they don't Firefly will still be a welcome addition to my SSC Joe collection.

This is how I feel. I'll just enlist one of the very talented customizers on the forum to repaint the head for me. This detail doesn't bother me enough to NOT want the figure.

OK, lets put this to the test on Monday and see how long it takes for the exclusive to sell out. Trust me, companies would rely on interweb forums for marketing research a lot more seriously than they do if it was a true reflection of the buy demographic. As much as you'd like to think it is, it isn't.

Most people who are happy with what they purchase feel no need to talk about it with people on the net. Simple fact.

You ask me, this figure will sell just as well as the others, and the people who aren't buying it now will end up looking for it once in hand pictures start turning up. We've seen it 1, 000 times and its always the same.

Even though some people are convinced the sky is falling, it isn't... and even if it were falling, its only made of air, so who cares?

But sadly anyone trying to be the voice of reason ends up doing the same thing over and over again.

The figure looks decent, but I can understand the frustration given how much cooler the proto image looked.

Yeah, but 100 people sending in emails about 100 different kinds of changes will do zilch. Again, try to build a coalition around a certain set of specific changes and work on Sideshow for that. If people here are serious, they need to organize. Come up with a set parameters of changes to mobilize for and organize people for them in a cohesive manner.

hence the reason I created the petition thread which is specifically aimed to address the balacava coloring. I AM trying to persuade SSC to change it without mucking the waters with other complaints.

I'm not trying to be divisive, but there are people that are ambivalent to the color of the balacava that are trying to tell people that aren't ambivalent to just bend over and accept it. I'm trying to point that out.

I have yet to see anyone say, "hey I prefer the solid balacava". The only defense the ambivalent people have is that they just don't care eitherway. So if they just don't care eitherway, whats wrong with getting it right to please those that ARE certain they don't like it as is?

I agree with Irish in the notion that "SSC fans" will tend to side with SSC no matter what while "property fans" will side with the property.

I'm ordering for sure.

I dont hate the figure as much as some seem too, I am just sad it didnt look like the concept art, and even more bummed that they didnt offer a painted head.

But overall the figure looks good, has kick ass accessories, so it a buy from me for sure.

Once the head gets painted I think it will look much better.

It still boggles the mind why Sideshow would offer such a generic trooper head for such a core character.

i don't know what this says about me, but I'll probably preorder it and just cancel it closer to shipping time if they don't fix the coloring.

I've never said the hardcore fans were wrong for wanting changes. At first I was trying to understand what were the perceived problems with it.

Personally, I think it would look less cool with camo on the balaclava, but if that would help the multitudes of 20 see it more as the character they grew up with - I say change the paint on the head. If he's already in production though, I can see that being an issue.

Personally, I think it would look less cool with camo on the balaclava.

Thats a curious taste, IMO, and not because Firefly is iconic or anything.

Its just to me like saying a Mustang without racing stripes looks cooler than one that does.

Unless something is cheesey or tacky (like the skull balacavas), I find a paint scheme to be more visually interesting than one without.

hence the reason I created the petition thread which is specifically aimed to address the balacava coloring. I AM trying to persuade SSC to change it without mucking the waters with other complaints.

I'm not trying to be divisive, but there are people that are ambivalent to the color of the balacava that are trying to tell people that aren't ambivalent to just bend over and accept it. I'm trying to point that out.

I have yet to see anyone say, "hey I prefer the solid balacava". The only defense the ambivalent people have is that they just don't care eitherway. So if they just don't care eitherway, whats wrong with getting it right to please those that ARE certain they don't like it as is?

I agree with Irish in the notion that "SSC fans" will tend to side with SSC no matter what while "property fans" will side with the property.

:tap:tap:tap

If given the choice between how he looks now and painting his head to match the parka, I'm all for leaving well enough alone. I plan on swapping him out to a darker gray digital camouflage anyway and having the head painted with big white blotches, to match the patterns of the parka will make him look more like the ROC Ice Viper - a figure he already closely resembles as is and a direction I DON'T want Sideshow to go. So I would say nay. Leave him be.

I don't even know what to say: I'm just offering some tips from a project management and business communication perspective, and you're coming back at me with the argument that I somehow don't want you to have Firefly in a certain manner?

And never tell Sideshow that a certain amount of people "won't care" because companies will take the easy route and count those people against you.

I'm always up for people being passionate about something, but passionate and lazy is ridiculous.

Well, since apparently there are only 20 people who have an issue with Firefly looking absolutely nothing like his toy/comic/cartoon counterpart, I suppose Sideshow should go full out next time and make Destro a woman with a red mask and Speedos. I mean, why not? The exclusive would sell out in about 5 minutes anyway.

And personally, I could care less if Boba Fett comes with no mask and is just the "clone guy" from the prequel movies in a black jumpsuit and a green lightsaber. I'm sure people on the board will complain, but they're such a small percentage of people who will buy, anyway. The pre-order will sell out in 5 minutes -anyway, so go ahead, Sideshow. Do whatever you want. Few will care if you use some wacky "modern" interpretation of every character from every franchise with little to no connection to the source material, right? So, yeah, go ahead.

Don't listen to complacent people. It is not as if Sideshow is giving you this for free or even selling it at a bargin cost relative to the hobby. You have every right to demand a better product.

The problem is that Sideshow is aware/arrogant enough to know that it can cut corners and deliver a sub-par product while still seeing high demand with ever-increasing prices. The people who robotically buy these figures are simply enabling Sideshow's attitude when it comes to 1:6 figures in general.

Back