1/6 SSC Batman Classic Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was in the original promo ad. See the first page on this thread. It was also labeled as such on the display at Comic Con.

SDCC-2017-Sideshow-DC-016.jpg

Yes, I know that-- but when the product was actually marketed they didn't call it classic. So it seems like they're fulfilling your request.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Shrug, I would say there's no single element that isn't comic accurate (except maybe the toe guards), even if it isn't loyal to any single artist's interpretation--at least not off the top of my head. I'm sure I could find a damn close suit if I looked long and hard.

They also only say that the headsculpt is comic-insprosed, which is obviously true.

Shrug, I would say there's no single element that isn't comic accurate (except maybe the toe guards), even if it isn't loyal to any single artist's interpretation--at least not off the top of my head. I'm sure I could find a damn close suit if I looked long and hard.

They also only say that the headsculpt is comic-insprosed, which is obviously true.

You shouldn't have to look hard enough. Is it Batman? Sure it has the elements of Batman, but when you call it Comic book line, then it should look like the comics. Maybe I'm being too harsh on this particular figure, but the Green Lantern figure really soured me on this line. Marvel line is worse imo.

All they have to do is make their premium format statue into 1:6 scale figure. The majority, if not all, of the people will be happy.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to look hard enough. Is it Batman? Sure it has the elements of Batman, but when you call it Comic book line, then it should look like the comics. Maybe I'm being too harsh on this particular figure, but the Green Lantern figure really soured me on this line. Marvel line is worse imo.

All they have to do is make their premium format statue into 1:6 scale figure. The majority, if not all, of the people will be happy.

I agree that’s why Sideshow won’t catch a break with me. If you can do it 1/4 you can do it 1/6 no excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other thing everyone seems to forget, is that it costs money to develop and produce figures. Sideshow as a business, is not going to take on costs to produce and sell a figure, intentionally to have bad sales and get out of the 1/6 line. That's ridiculous. No one is forcing them to make the 1/6 figs in the first place. If they don't want to make anymore DC Comics 1/6, then they would simply stop making them (like so many lines that ALL 1/6 figure manufacturers have given up on).
Also, on a licensing standpoint, DC (and other) actually do NOT want to make classic designs that might have a fan base. They are actually more interested in maintaining whatever current look their characters have. That is brand consistency. They would much prefer to promote the current look from comics or films, where their main revenue streams are, than promote products based on past designs.

Even though when companies want $$$$ they dip into classics because they sell considerably better based on the Nostalgia factor.

It’s not rocket science. Sideshow knew when they labeled it classic at comic con they were going to piss off people. Funny they had no problem doing premium format in that look. When you mention classic people want oval chest logo batman. It goes without saying.

I’m angry not for myself because I took their batman and made my own bodysuit

I’m angry for the fans they are teasing and doing head games. The GL I forewarned would have Poseability issues. They would had been better off if black was plain Lycra and customers would have been happy and they would have a costume that functioned. But Sideshow went ahead and did the now disastrous poorly executed Green Lantern anyway. They knew figure would preform poorly but had zero F#%s to give.

You know why? Because their is a sucker born everyday and a fool with money is soon parted.

Flash was halted for lack of sales in GL and they used similar fabric.

This batman will sell poorly. So sideshow doesn’t learn or they are deliberately doing this crap to make warner & DC think 1/6 is not sellable. It wouldn’t be 1st time a corporation would do self sabotage when they don’t want to handle a product line

Off hand the batman could be used to recover $$$ lost on GL

5ccff831d5bcf6a0b2f586915aa281df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's just not how companies work. No company intentionally loses revenue, or creates increased costs, to self-sabotage. Especially a (relatively) small outfit like Sideshow Collectibles. Sure, DC/WB will let companies dip into classic looks here and there, but they prefer to maintain their brand across the board. That's why when a new movie comes out, the suit (or similar suit) will be seen in the comics, or on figures, t-shirts, lunch boxes, etc...
Would I have preferred a Neal Adams version? Absolutely. Was I upset with the original SSC 1/6 "Comic" Batman? Nope, it's one of my favorite figures.
As far as Green Lantern is concerned, I don't think everyone who purchased it was a "fool" or a "sucker" (including myself in that). The suit was clearly a GL Rebirth outfit. Looks exactly like it. Choice of material is choice of material, but the look is pretty consistent with what DC was doing in the comics. Did the material hinder articulation? Yup. But is it any worse than the majority of Hot Toys Batmen who also have minimal articulation? Nope. It's the price (and lack of accessories) that was the major issue in my opinion.

Great NA suit on that Batman, by the way!!!

Sideshow has preferred their own artistic interpretations over established looks for a long time. I see it as a company run by artists with their own ideas on distilling the "essence" of a character into some interpretation. I suspect that is the reason they seem more passionate about their statues and premium format figures compared to the 1/6 scale stuff even though the 1/6 scale has more selling potential. The artists probably prefer letting loose on those statues.

In any case, this has hurt them in the past more than helped. Their initial marvel and DC comic figures could have been a slam dunk but they had to add their own flare. They had an opportunity to tap into 80's nostalgia with the GI Joe line but the characters didn't really resemble their original toy or cartoon counterparts so the line failed. Adding to this problem is the idea that they like to sculpt faces with exaggerated features and intense grimaces. It often comes across as constipated caricatures of the characters they are meant to depict.

Even though these alternate looks may evoke the look of the character for the designers, these specific differences have a chance, and often do, turn away collectors that want something that more approaches accuracy. I have had tons of interesting looking Batman figures over the years. At this point, I want specific looks to be represented as accurately as possible. I want a Neal Adams Batman that mirrors the art style. I want a Jim Lee Hush Batman that looks just like a 3D version of the art. I don't want some rando designer's version of the character.

Having said all that, this Batman is actually pretty toned down compared to their longstanding tendencies and actually looks pretty good. I would prefer the head sculpt to be altered but this looks way better than previous SS Batman heads. While I would rather have specific classic versions of the character, I can deal with this.

Last edited:
Sideshow has preferred their own artistic interpretations over established looks for a long time. I see it as a company run by artists with their own ideas on distilling the "essence" of a character into some interpretation. I suspect that is the reason they seem more passionate about their statues and premium format figures compared to the 1/6 scale stuff even though the 1/6 scale has more selling potential. The artists probably prefer letting loose on those statues.

In any case, this has hurt them in the past more than helped. Their initial marvel and DC comic figures could have been a slam dunk but they had to add their own flare. They had an opportunity to tap into 80's nostalgia with the GI Joe line but the characters didn't really resemble their original toy or cartoon counterparts so the line failed. Adding to this problem is the idea that they like to sculpt faces with exaggerated features and intense grimaces. It often comes across as constipated caricatures of the characters they are meant to depict.

Even though these alternate looks may evoke the look of the character for the designers, these specific differences have a chance, and often do, turn away collectors that want something that more approaches accuracy. I have had tons of interesting looking Batman figures over the years. At this point, I want specific looks to be represented as accurately as possible. I want a Neal Adams Batman that mirrors the art style. I want a Jim Lee Hush Batman that looks just like a 3D version of the art. I don't want some rando designer's version of the character.

Having said all that, this Batman is actually pretty toned down compared to their longstanding tendencies and actually looks pretty good. I would prefer the head sculpt to be altered but this looks way better than previous SS Batman heads. While I would rather have specific classic versions of the character, I can deal with this.

For one thing, his face actually has a nose.

I think I'm going to pre-order this. It really does look like an amalgam of various comic book Batman designs.

What is most appealing to me is the cape... I like how it can completely cover his whole body and it looks like you can really play with how it sits on the shoulders (or doesnt sit on shoulders), the amount of fabric supplies seems to really leave room for your own preference.

I do like how he is not that big and muscular, sort of like the size of the early 1966 (i believe thats the year?) Batman show and the first appearance batman.

I like the maskless sculpt as well. He isnt a pretty boy and he has a very tough and worn look which fits well with the character of batman, being someone who trains to the fullest intensity that non super power men are able. He looks genuinely and realistically hard.

Sideshow is obviously not like hot toys whp focuses on making figures that are perfect representations of their counterparts. Sideshow takes liberty in design, so to me this batman seems like its suppose to be sideshows interpretation of the "essence of the comic book Batman". Which gives it a sort of quintessential feel for me.

That being said, something does seem to be lacking and its that cape that keeps me coming back to look at this figure. Not sure!! I think it might look better in person. Its between this guy and hot toys jl batman... Just not interested in that skinny neck cowl... Lol

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

I like everything apart from the gold on the boots and that's nitpicking really. Cape, cowl, suit and belt all look good to me. Don't really care about the lack of accessories either.

I'm gonna wait and see how the final product turns out before ordering but unless there is a big drop off I'll be getting this. Recently been getting bored of movie pieces all the time so a comic book Batman in 1/6 scale really appeals.

Hopefully the Joker goes up for pre-order soon but it's sad how slow this line is to develop. I'd love to see comic versions of all the bat family and villains and the Justice League to.

I like everything apart from the gold on the boots and that's nitpicking really. Cape, cowl, suit and belt all look good to me. Don't really care about the lack of accessories either.

I'm gonna wait and see how the final product turns out before ordering but unless there is a big drop off I'll be getting this. Recently been getting bored of movie pieces all the time so a comic book Batman in 1/6 scale really appeals.

Hopefully the Joker goes up for pre-order soon but it's sad how slow this line is to develop. I'd love to see comic versions of all the bat family and villains and the Justice League to.

Agree – I was hoping for a Robin by now... do like the look of this, however I have the first (blue/grey) Batman they did.

okay, I broke down & pre-ordered this guy from BBTS; I loved the first 2 versions (though the jaw sculpts weren't great), but the bodies became so floppy over time, they couldn't hold a pose. I'll keep an eye on early reviews, and decide whether to keep the pre-order or not.

I went ahead and preordered both hot toys justice league batman and sideshow sixth scale batman. Excited to recieve both! I'll post pictures of them both when they arrive.

It's not a perfect, definitive Batman... but I do like it. For whatever reason Sideshow has better designs for their PFs, they should just scale them all down.

I like this because he looks more like the silent detective, which I feel is sorely missing these days. Especially with Affleck's hulking brute.

What..in....the heck... Lol I was just thinking almost the exact same words before i came to the forum. The fact that something about it has more of that silent detective feel to it and the fact that Affleck has made batman into more of a monsterous fighter. How crazy that this is what I opened the forum too. Well, needless to say now; I agree with you and wouldn't have said it better myself.
It's not a perfect, definitive Batman... but I do like it. For whatever reason Sideshow has better designs for their PFs, they should just scale them all down.

I like this because he looks more like the silent detective, which I feel is sorely missing these days. Especially with Affleck's hulking brute.

Back