1/6 SSC Batman Classic Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SSC is charging almost HT prices for what really is their own version of MEGO dolls.

yeah but this is what mego are doing for $20 theses days , not with out its problems but for $20 :lol

MEGO-14-Inch-DC-Super-Hero-Lot-of.jpg

I own the DX09, Returns Batman, Arkham Knight Batman, JL Batman, two Armory Batmen (one in the armory as the empty suit and another displayed as the complete figure), the Sideshow Gotham Knight, and this figure.

This is my favourite one. I could hardly complain about the price tag for one of the coolest figures in my collection, which has the most striking resemblance to the character I grew up reading. If you're concerned that this looks like a Mego, maybe a comic-accurate Batman isn't what you're looking for.

Personally, I'm looking forward to building a complete Justice League from this line.

yeah sure but my point was if you want a comic accurate batman you can get one from mego for twenty bucks :lol

yeah sure but my point was if you want a comic accurate batman you can get one from mego for twenty bucks :lol

Exactly. I'll stick with Hot Toys and Blitzway. Sideshow's 1/6 DC efforts are pretty embarrassing at this point. If they were 60 or 80 dollars, I would consider buying but their prices for these "dolls" are a joke. I'm no sucker so will gladly give money to companies that put in a serious effort in design (comic-inspired or movie-inspired).

I'm with a few of you who have been close to "biting" with the coupon and the free shipping. Even with the free shipping and coupon I'm over $200 for this figure. Some of you have received loose joints on the figure. I'm also afraid it's going to be a returned figure I get sent. I'm sorting liking it, but I don't love it. I'm sure I'll like it a bit more once I get it, but I don't want to drop the money I'm iffy on. I mean I've purchased many figures that I wasn't completely sold on, but they were nowhere near $200+.

What's great about this hobby is that we don't all agree; "one's man's trash is another man's treasure."

I am with Saintv1 in hoping to build a complete JL from this line. I get that it’s not for everyone and I’m no fan of the price tag but I’ve gotten a lot of enjoyment from this figure and can’t wait for Joker and Flash to release.

Well, personally, I’m in the middle:

These are definitely too expensive and should be in the $100/120 price range if you consider the quality third party companies can achieve. The relative simplicity of the outfits added to the price of the license should definitely place them in that range of price.

Now, once the price issue has been set aside, there’s the figures themselves and contrary to you guys, I think they are great and this Batman as well as their previous offerings are still my favorite comic figures. yes, HT and Blitzway produce more complicated, more wow figures, but they are bad Supes or bad Bats. You can’t even drape the cape on the shoulders or you fear posing them because of the complex material used.

No such fears here and they more or less stock to the comics visuals, so yes, those are by far my favorite superhero figures.

Third party companies don't pay for licensing rights to the characters so that $120 price tag is pie in the sky. These are over priced but so is everything in this hobby.

The BW head isn't the best but at least they accurately depict the messed up hair when he takes the cowl off. I don't understand the unmasked Affleck head looking like he just combed his hair.

I have a number of DC Hot Toys figures I'm very happy to own but right now all they care about is Disney. They get things wrong to.

Why after so many years can they not make a cape? Every Batman figure I've got from them had cost me an extra $50 getting a custom cape.

None of their Ledger sculpts are any good. Still no Catwoman or Penguin but 100 Iron Men. People make so many excuses and allowances for Hot Toys they would never let pass with SS.

Well, personally, I’m in the middle:

These are definitely too expensive and should be in the $100/120 price range if you consider the quality third party companies can achieve. The relative simplicity of the outfits added to the price of the license should definitely place them in that range of price.

Now, once the price issue has been set aside, there’s the figures themselves and contrary to you guys, I think they are great and this Batman as well as their previous offerings are still my favorite comic figures. yes, HT and Blitzway produce more complicated, more wow figures, but they are bad Supes or bad Bats. You can’t even drape the cape on the shoulders or you fear posing them because of the complex material used.

No such fears here and they more or less stock to the comics visuals, so yes, those are by far my favorite superhero figures.

Originally I was gonna sculpt a mustache onto the BrucevWayne sculpt and add glasses as I thought the expression and exasperated hair would make for an amazing Gordon.......but then I sold the head. Maybe I will try to rebuy it in the future and attempt the Gordon again someday.

Third party companies don't pay for licensing rights to the characters so that $120 price tag is pie in the sky. These are over priced but so is everything in this hobby.

The BW head isn't the best but at least they accurately depict the messed up hair when he takes the cowl off. I don't understand the unmasked Affleck head looking like he just combed his hair.

I have a number of DC Hot Toys figures I'm very happy to own but right now all they care about is Disney. They get things wrong to.

Why after so many years can they not make a cape? Every Batman figure I've got from them had cost me an extra $50 getting a custom cape.

None of their Ledger sculpts are any good. Still no Catwoman or Penguin but 100 Iron Men. People make so many excuses and allowances for Hot Toys they would never let pass with SS.

Uh, BRAH, do a side by side comparison of the HT JL Affleck figure vs the Sideshow 1/6 Batman figure and the photo will speak for itself. And the DC license is not that expensive or everyone and their cat wouldn't be making DC figures. Pure laziness and greed on Sideshow's part. Don't get me wrong, I like the Sideshow 1/6 Superman. If it were $100 shipped I would buy it. No way in any way would I pay $240 plus shipping for a cheap-looking 1/6 figure like that. Not going to happen. Ever. Hot Toys and Blitzway give us amazing detail and design for a decent price. Again, i don't dislike the Sideshow 1/6 pieces, but they're at least two times the price they should be going by quality and manufacturing details and when comparing to their other 1/6 competitors ie HT and Blitzway

Uh, BRAH, do a side by side comparison of the HT JL Affleck figure vs the Sideshow 1/6 Batman figure and the photo will speak for itself. And the DC license is not that expensive or everyone and their cat wouldn't be making DC figures. Pure laziness and greed on Sideshow's part. Don't get me wrong, I like the Sideshow 1/6 Superman. If it were $100 shipped I would buy it. No way in any way would I pay $240 plus shipping for a cheap-looking 1/6 figure like that. Not going to happen. Ever. Hot Toys and Blitzway give us amazing detail and design for a decent price. Again, i don't dislike the Sideshow 1/6 pieces, but they're at least two times the price they should be going by quality and manufacturing details and when comparing to their other 1/6 competitors ie HT and Blitzway

It's a ridiculous comparison. Realistic movie piece based on a real actor next to something based on a comic book. Of course the movie figure will have a lot more detail.

Only thing I will criticise SS for on this figure is the lack of accessories. At the end of the day though it reminds me of 80 years of Batman comics whereas the JL figure reminds me of a terrible film I'd like to expunge from my memory.

Yep, if you want a photo realistic piece, then don't buy a comic-accurate Batman, which is what this product is. Pretty obvious.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

For me the biggest rub are these:

body: SS currently uses ONE body for all their "buffer" male superheroes (for the most part). Thor, Batman, Magneto, Luke Cage, Superman. Hot Toys might use a base then alter it to fit the character with foam padding or a new chest, new shoulders new biceps etc.

Paint Apps: regardless on if it's a comic character or a real-life person, the paint on the figure emulating a real person should be realistic. The Hot Toys Arkham and Resident Evil figures are a perfect example. Videogame characters that still have realistic paint and skin textures. You don't see Hot Toys slapping cheaper paint b/c they aren't real people.

Accessories: Again, if you don't want to compare a movie masterpiece figure (like JL Bats) that's fine. But all the Arkham figures come with a good a mount of accessories be it weapons, switch-out mouth/head parts but this SS Bats only comes with TWO batarangs. Batman always uses more weapons than that. They could've done some really cool stuff like some more detective type accessories to let it stand out from their previous releases.

If you REALLY want to do apples to apples just use the original Batman vs this one. Both Blue and Gotham Knight Batman figures came with multiple head sculpts, multiple mouth pieces, multiple hands, different batarangs, a grapple gun and a unique body to that figure. And you know what? It cost LESS than this figure that only has ONE headsculpt, 6 hands and two batarangs.

And that's where the price vs value comes into play with me. I'm comparing what you GET for what you're paying for in comparison to other figures with WAY more complex outfits, individual bodies and more accessories. It's not about a movie character vs a comic character for me.

For me the biggest rub are these:

body: SS currently uses ONE body for all their "buffer" male superheroes (for the most part). Thor, Batman, Magneto, Luke Cage, Superman. Hot Toys might use a base then alter it to fit the character with foam padding or a new chest, new shoulders new biceps etc.
They do swap the arms from figure to figure (Flash, Batman and Luke all appear to have different arms/shoulders. I think padding might not look as good under the skintight outfits as it does under, for example, HT's sculpted rubber batsuit. I don't really disagree with you, but the torso they're using aligns pretty neatly with the look I want from my Justice League.

Paint Apps: regardless on if it's a comic character or a real-life person, the paint on the figure emulating a real person should be realistic. The Hot Toys Arkham and Resident Evil figures are a perfect example. Videogame characters that still have realistic paint and skin textures. You don't see Hot Toys slapping cheaper paint b/c they aren't real people.
Do you feel the paint job on the recent releases is lacking? The GK Batman faceplate are pretty bad, but on a new figure like this Batman, I thought the paintwork was really good (eyebrows on the exclusive head maybe being the exception).

I do think there's a big difference in the paint between, say, the Arkham City Batman and the Arkham Knight Batman, because you're painting should reflect your source (the AK model is drastically more photo realistic and the paint reflects that). I definitely have a different expectation from a comic Batman than I do from an MMS figure. The figure is inherently more stylized.

Accessories: Again, if you don't want to compare a movie masterpiece figure (like JL Bats) that's fine. But all the Arkham figures come with a good a mount of accessories be it weapons, switch-out mouth/head parts but this SS Bats only comes with TWO batarangs. Batman always uses more weapons than that. They could've done some really cool stuff like some more detective type accessories to let it stand out from their previous releases.
For sure, the lack of accessories bites. On that I completely agree.

If you REALLY want to do apples to apples just use the original Batman vs this one. Both Blue and Gotham Knight Batman figures came with multiple head sculpts, multiple mouth pieces, multiple hands, different batarangs, a grapple gun and a unique body to that figure. And you know what? It cost LESS than this figure that only has ONE headsculpt, 6 hands and two batarangs.
Sure, I get how it doesn't seem like a great value. But in that same comparison, the new figure is an improvement in every other area (my opinion, of course). In terms of what I'm looking for in my collection, if I'm paying more to get the higher quality suit, body, headsculpt, and paintwork that I got from this figure, compared to what i got with the GK version, I guess I'm okay with that. But that's me.

And that's where the price vs value comes into play with me. I'm comparing what you GET for what you're paying for in comparison to other figures with WAY more complex outfits, individual bodies and more accessories. It's not about a movie character vs a comic character for me.

Yeah, I won't argue with your feeling that the figure is not a good value. I was mainly responding to the sentiment that this is a Mego quality piece, which is laughable.

Now that i can finally log in without glitches, I can finally reply to ya!
They do swap the arms from figure to figure (Flash, Batman and Luke all appear to have different arms/shoulders. I think padding might not look as good under the skintight outfits as it does under, for example, HT's sculpted rubber batsuit. I don't really disagree with you, but the torso they're using aligns pretty neatly with the look I want from my Justice League.

I agree with you that padding wouldn't necessarily look good under a fabric costume. However, HT managed to do it around the ribs of both BvS and JL Cavill Superman and you can't even tell. I think the Flash and batman have the same arms as both Luke Cage, Superman, Thor and Magneto. It just looks different since thay have high gloves that cover part of the forearms but I can't say for sure. Let me say, I think Flash looks great! And I think this new body they're using is better than the exaggerated ones they used before for Batman and Superman. However, I think Superman's chest and thighs should be bigger. And that's where I think switch out parts would come in handy.

Do you feel the paint job on the recent releases is lacking? The GK Batman faceplate are pretty bad, but on a new figure like this Batman, I thought the paintwork was really good (eyebrows on the exclusive head maybe being the exception).

I do think there's a big difference in the paint between, say, the Arkham City Batman and the Arkham Knight Batman, because you're painting should reflect your source (the AK model is drastically more photo realistic and the paint reflects that). I definitely have a different expectation from a comic Batman than I do from an MMS figure. The figure is inherently more stylized.

I feel like the paintwork in the flesh areas are definitely lacking. I don't think the original figure's skintone paint was real enough and that's what's also disappointing about these new figures. It doesn't look like it's improved much at all.

I know these are comic characters, but for me, if skin is seen anywhere, I want it to look real at these price points. Again, we're paying Hot Toys prices but not getting Hot Toys paint quality in the skintone. I mean even Sideshow's real characters like their recent Jedi Luke isn't on par with the Hot Toys paint, so I don't think the argument of "those are real people and these are comic characters" really applies.

For sure, the lack of accessories bites. On that I completely agree.
That's the biggest rub for me, the huge lack of accessories. I would've also liked some better hand gestures than what was given. The "claw" hands seem weird to me.

Sure, I get how it doesn't seem like a great value. But in that same comparison, the new figure is an improvement in every other area (my opinion, of course). In terms of what I'm looking for in my collection, if I'm paying more to get the higher quality suit, body, headsculpt, and paintwork that I got from this figure, compared to what i got with the GK version, I guess I'm okay with that. But that's me.

Yeah, I won't argue with your feeling that the figure is not a good value. I was mainly responding to the sentiment that this is a Mego quality piece, which is laughable.

I think this figure is great for the most part and definitely don't feel it looks like a mego figure. The cape seems to drape nicely and I dig the headsculpt and the suit. So in terms of build, yes I think it's in an improvement. Belt looks a little tooooo plastic-y for me but I could live with it or have a real leather one made. The main thing for me is lack of accessories and the skintone paint quality that doesn't feel like $220+shipping makes it worth it. Especially with similar HT figures coming with more at similar price-points. I'd be all over this if it came with switchout mouth pieces, a grapple gun and at least one other cool accessory, which I'd be fine paying $220-$230ish for.

Now that i can finally log in without glitches, I can finally reply to ya!

I agree with you that padding wouldn't necessarily look good under a fabric costume. However, HT managed to do it around the ribs of both BvS and JL Cavill Superman and you can't even tell. I think the Flash and batman have the same arms as both Luke Cage, Superman, Thor and Magneto. It just looks different since thay have high gloves that cover part of the forearms but I can't say for sure. Let me say, I think Flash looks great! And I think this new body they're using is better than the exaggerated ones they used before for Batman and Superman. However, I think Superman's chest and thighs should be bigger. And that's where I think switch out parts would come in handy.

I feel like the paintwork in the flesh areas are definitely lacking. I don't think the original figure's skintone paint was real enough and that's what's also disappointing about these new figures. It doesn't look like it's improved much at all.

I know these are comic characters, but for me, if skin is seen anywhere, I want it to look real at these price points. Again, we're paying Hot Toys prices but not getting Hot Toys paint quality in the skintone. I mean even Sideshow's real characters like their recent Jedi Luke isn't on par with the Hot Toys paint, so I don't think the argument of "those are real people and these are comic characters" really applies.

That's the biggest rub for me, the huge lack of accessories. I would've also liked some better hand gestures than what was given. The "claw" hands seem weird to me.

I think this figure is great for the most part and definitely don't feel it looks like a mego figure. The cape seems to drape nicely and I dig the headsculpt and the suit. So in terms of build, yes I think it's in an improvement. Belt looks a little tooooo plastic-y for me but I could live with it or have a real leather one made. The main thing for me is lack of accessories and the skintone paint quality that doesn't feel like $220+shipping makes it worth it. Especially with similar HT figures coming with more at similar price-points. I'd be all over this if it came with switchout mouth pieces, a grapple gun and at least one other cool accessory, which I'd be fine paying $220-$230ish for.
I disagree on a couple of points, but we're mostly on the same page. Ultimately, I'm okay with these prices if it means the line continues.

I wish they would offer this with the yellow oval look. That's what I think of when I think classic batman

When I saw this figure, I Immediately got JLU vibes from it
Batman_JL.jpgJustice-League-animated.jpg
but the head kinda killed it for me so I decided it Needed a little Modding so I Picked up a SSC Gotham Knight Batman Head and Repainted it to the same colour as the cape and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.
IMG_1328.jpgIMG_1330.jpgIMG_1334.jpgIMG_1331.jpgIMG_1329.jpg

Back