SS Marvel comiquette samples???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAROTO

Super Freak
Reaction score
Im new on this stuff. I just saw there are some sideshow comiquette samples that do not have a number on the certificate. Are these the same quality as regular releases? anybody knows? I would really appreciate your help.

It's not often you see Comiquettes samples on the market. Not saying that they are not out there, but I would ask lots of questions from the perspective seller.

They exist. I have a Venom EX comiquette marvel sample. It has marvel sample on the base. I picked it up from a board member here. The box does not have a number on it. It does have the EX sticker and the print.

The unnumbers are replacement pieces.

I don't think so. Unumbered pieces are turned into APs. They are marked as such on the bottom of the base. Marvel samples are a handful of pieces that are created for approval from marvel on a statue. These statues are flow back and forth between marvel and SSC until marvel approves the sample. Any changes that marvel sees fit to make to a statue are made durring this time. That makes these pieces different from APs. APs are left over production statues that were unused. They are usually used to replace broken or defective pieces. If not too many pieces break durring shipping or there aren't many defects on a piece, then SSC turns those pieces into APs.

Depending on the piece they will be called either Artist Proofs or Samples. Aside from the numbered batches companies usually make separate pieces to go to friends, relatives and business partners and like what filip said some of them go back and forth from the company to the factory but not all the time. For example, Marvel has headquarters here in Manhattan and a lot of Sideshow's pieces get sent to them just as gifts and then they can do whatever they want with them, that is why you see some of them for sale on the internet. Have you guys noticed the statues in the backgrounds of a lot of videos Sideshow does in their offices? Those are Samples and Artist Proof's.

SS doesn't send pre-production samples to Marvel (anymore) so there is no 'back and forth'. They now send photos, and Marvel lets them know if the piece is acceptable. Then Sideshow will send several 'Marvel Samples' of the finished production piece to Marvel.

Initially, SS would just write "Marvel Sample" on the base and box of an un-numbered piece, but they have since started labeling both the box '3470021SAM' for example, and the bottom of the base, straight from the Chinese factory. I have many Marvel samples purchased directly from Marvel and have talked in-depth with my contact about the process.

I only have one pre-production piece that was sent to Marvel, and it is painted FAR better than the what was eventually released in production. Side by side there was no comparison so I'm guessing it must have been done by one of the painters who actually work for SS .

So to answer your question, there are several copies of the same piece that are marked 'Marvel Sample', and they are legitimate.

SS doesn't send pre-production samples to Marvel (anymore) so there is no 'back and forth'. They now send photos, and Marvel lets them know if the piece is acceptable. Then Sideshow will send several 'Marvel Samples' of the finished production piece to Marvel.

Initially, SS would just write "Marvel Sample" on the base and box of an un-numbered piece, but they have since started labeling both the box '3470021SAM' for example, and the bottom of the base, straight from the Chinese factory. I have many Marvel samples purchased directly from Marvel and have talked in-depth with my contact about the process.

I only have one pre-production piece that was sent to Marvel, and it is painted FAR better than the what was eventually released in production. Side by side there was no comparison so I'm guessing it must have been done by one of the painters who actually work for SS .

So to answer your question, there are several copies of the same piece that are marked 'Marvel Sample', and they are legitimate.
Thanks for straighten it out Comp.

Can we know which piece you are referring to?

There we go. Problem solved. Thanks CF.

I have many marvel samples. They are samples (duh) that are sent to marvel during the production run (usually the last 3-6 of the run) for their final approval and QC. All SS marvel samples are unnumbered, but come with everything a typical statue would have. The bases are marked with the words "Sample" or "Marvel Sample". Bowen does the same thing, but his statues are numbered.

After Marvel received them they sometimes open them, sometimes they just sit in the box. They are offered to employees at a significantly discounted rate but tell said employees that they can not sell the statues until one year after public release of the part.

I actually get a good portion of my collection direct from the desk of a marvel employee.

Here is a few pics of the Bowen ones I can show:

mephistobowenbronze002.jpg

MJH_5101.jpg

MJH_5070.jpg

MJH_5078.jpg

Back