SS Dracula

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ursus3978

Freaked Out
Reaction score
How's this for raising a toy from the dead?

I only JUST picked up the Sideshow Dracula (boxed/color version) on eBay and I gotta say I really like him.

I have a few of the SS Universal Monsters and liked them but never felt the need to get them all. I remember being initially disappointed in Drac when he first came out. I thought the head was too big and decided to pass.
Lately I've been watching the old Universal monster movies and decided to add the Count to my collection.

In hand, out of the box and with the cape on, the head size looks fine to me.
I LOVE the gestures that the hands are sculpted in. Really captures Bela's performance.
The material on the tuxedo is really nice and I even think Sideshow's decision to make the shirt/vest as a one piece, sleeveless item works great. No bulk under the tux jacket and everything stays in place nicely.

I know people complained about the "blush" face paint but it doesn't bother me at all.
I'm glad I finally got him.
The only thing is his cape is pretty wrinkled after sitting folded in the box for 10 years. Anyone iron theirs?

-Ray

How's this for raising a toy from the dead?

I only JUST picked up the Sideshow Dracula (boxed/color version) on eBay and I gotta say I really like him.

I have a few of the SS Universal Monsters and liked them but never felt the need to get them all. I remember being initially disappointed in Drac when he first came out. I thought the head was too big and decided to pass.
Lately I've been watching the old Universal monster movies and decided to add the Count to my collection.

In hand, out of the box and with the cape on, the head size looks fine to me.
I LOVE the gestures that the hands are sculpted in. Really captures Bela's performance.
The material on the tuxedo is really nice and I even think Sideshow's decision to make the shirt/vest as a one piece, sleeveless item works great. No bulk under the tux jacket and everything stays in place nicely.

I know people complained about the "blush" face paint but it doesn't bother me at all.
I'm glad I finally got him.
The only thing is his cape is pretty wrinkled after sitting folded in the box for 10 years. Anyone iron theirs?

-Ray

Its one of the best, imo. Though I was able to nab mine off ebay which has been custom painted by one of the fellow freaks members here!
162602_493242774662_748989662_5682296_507282_n.jpg

I have the Silver Screen Edition, and it is a beautiful figure that holds up very well.

Its one of the best, imo. Though I was able to nab mine off ebay which has been custom painted by one of the fellow freaks members here!
162602_493242774662_748989662_5682296_507282_n.jpg

That is a nice repaint.
SS really got Bela's likeness on both this and the Premium Format Dracula.

Hey, is that my repaint?

Always nice to see old friends.

As to the cape, I recommend stringing a wire through the bottom hem. The effect is amazing!

P1210109.jpg

Sideshow's Uni Monsters are still some of my favorite figures. As far as sculpts have come in 10 years, these hold their own.

One of my first repaints by Les Walker:

Vons-20.jpg

SideshowDrac.jpg

I need to re-shoot him after tucking that bit of fabric at his collar back in...this series was great. They weren't reluctant to sculpt expressions, and they did some surprising characters. Renfield. Fritz. So very cool. My Son of Frankenstein needs no repaint and stands without aid.

Drac is still a nice figure. Well worth the $20 bucks. The sculpt is a bit large, but alright.

What was the original SRP on him?
Like $35?

I remember passing when he was first released cuz I thought it was too much back then (and I thought the head was too big also).
I figured I'd pick him up on clearance someplace at some point.
I never did.

I had heard (after the fact) that Tower had most of the Uni Monsters on clearance.
Missed that.

So fast forward some 10 years or so and I decide to get him and look on eBay and can't believe the prices he's going for. Most auctions seemed to end around $70-$100.
:mad:
I finally got him for around $50, which seems OK considering some of the eBay prices and that I do like him so much.

I just wish I pulled the trigger back in '01. Ah well. At least I got him now.
Now I have to try and take some pix.
:)

-Ray

Pretty sure I paid 20 for Drac amd Wolfman at Suncoast and my first Frank at TRU. Then Phantom was SS first direct only figure at a wopping 40 bucks!!!!

I think I paid $40 back in the day -- and that felt a little pricey back then. With Hot Toys now charging $250 for their new Indy, $40 is laughably inexpensive.

Pretty sure I paid 20 for Drac amd Wolfman at Suncoast and my first Frank at TRU. Then Phantom was SS first direct only figure at a wopping 40 bucks!!!!

I got my Phantom at Suncoast back in the day. As well as Nosferatu and London after Midnight. how did that happen if they were SSC's first "internet only" offerings? Maybe the owner was a big Sidehsow fan and had an account directly with SSC?:dunno

Those repaints really show off the great sculpt. Even the stock figure is impressive enough especially for how cheap they were.

Dracula was one of the last UniMonsters I got, the first was the Vampyre (and actually my first high-end 1/6 Sideshow) and I was instantly hooked after getting him. I had no idea when I got him that he'd be so poseable, it blew my mind :lol

I got my SS Dracula at Media Play/ Suncoast for I think around $40. Well worth the price too. Still an excellent sculpt and one of my favorites.

Back