SS and Weta Licenses

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstojano

Super Freak
Reaction score
So one thing that seems to have gone unnoticed in all the excitement is what we are not seeing - Hobbit merchandising from SS. Does this suggest they were shut out completely? Surely they would have debuted a PF if they had the license right? Dios and 1:6 figures are a non starter, we know Weta has the helm and environment license as well as the 1:6 scale statue license.

I think it was mentioned that come October, they can show much more items. Sounds like it has to do with WB, not the companies trying to sell products.

But on that note, does Sideshow have a Hobbit license?

Yeah Weta had special permission to show Hobbit stuff early,normally they can't show anything until 6 weeks or so before the movie is released if memory serves

Josh, I've read it at TheOneRINg:

"Sideshow Collectibles 1:6 scale figures

At the WETA booth, there’s also series of Sideshow Collectibles 1:6 scale minatures from The Hobbit on display.
It’s hard to decide which is better: Bilbo in a half-crouch with Sting, Gandalf with his staff, Dwalin and his axes, Balin about to draw sword, Bombur dashing about with his soup label in hand, or the fearsome-looking Thorin Oakenshield with Orcrist"

It's means that this statues are from Sideshow-Weta like the old ones?
Thanks for your answer and enjoy this days

Josh, I've read it at TheOneRINg:

"Sideshow Collectibles 1:6 scale figures

At the WETA booth, there’s also series of Sideshow Collectibles 1:6 scale minatures from The Hobbit on display.
It’s hard to decide which is better: Bilbo in a half-crouch with Sting, Gandalf with his staff, Dwalin and his axes, Balin about to draw sword, Bombur dashing about with his soup label in hand, or the fearsome-looking Thorin Oakenshield with Orcrist"

It's means that this statues are from Sideshow-Weta like the old ones?
Thanks for your answer and enjoy this days

Those can't possibly have anything to do with Sideshow. Weta all the way.

That's clearly a typo on the page. If sideshow had the hobbit license they sure as hell would let us know.

It would be a damn shame if SS don't get to bring a touch of magic to the Hobbit in PF range. Even though I have given up on their LOTR range given the Fellowship not committal/ timescale issues but would still love to see what they would come up with in PF for the Hobbit :lecture

It would be a damn shame if SS don't get to bring a touch of magic to the Hobbit in PF range. Even though I have given up on their LOTR range given the Fellowship not committal/ timescale issues but would still love to see what they would come up with in PF for the Hobbit :lecture

Me too! I'm counting on them doing something in the PF line. :pray:

I just want Bilbo and Thorin PFs and i'm done...

SS would have made an announcement if they had the license for Hobbit, it's a shame though i would like to see what they would come up with.

With Weta revealing their 1:6 license, I feel like Sideshow is going to have to make do with the LOTR license for the time being.

Although that one is set to slow burn at the moment, so I'm not sure they even need to add The Hobbit into the mix. LOTR is already getting marginalized in the face of all the DC Comics announcements. You can tell where all their energy and enthusiasm is directed at the moment, and it's not Lord of the Rings. I am very thankful for the LOTR pieces we're getting, but I don't think they have the time to devote to Hobbit stuff right now, even if they did have the license.

I'm almost positive I read SOMEWHERE in this section that SSC has a license to do Hobbit related collectibles.

WB are keeping a tight control over the news releases re characters etc and the early release allowed to WETA was a special deal. I am sure SS will have a good slice of this pie to offer :lecture

I figured this was some exclusivity deal but Weta has released quite a bit of teases here and really what is left for SS to produce except PFs and larger scale pieces. I don't think they can do a maquette line like LOTR for the Hobbit since this would seem to infringe on the 1:6 scale statues from Weta. I don't sense an urge or need for dios or large scale busts either. Helms and enviros are Weta all the way, shields and weapons as well I assume.

GG have also released a bust of Thorin as an exclusive bust, so if SS had a licence of any sort for the Hobbit surely they would have had an exclusive up.

Yes I can't see Weta and GG and Bridge Direct having more industry clout than SS. Sure Weta has a special relationship but the others??

Back