Speculation - MAD MAX/ROAD WARRIOR Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a challenge: HELP ME FIND A SUITABLE MATERIAL TO SIMULATE A 1/6 ZIPPER!!!

Soon I'll get the Iris clothing set for my Max figure. As we all know, zippers are NEVER true 1/6 scale, because the teeth would be so fragile that they would break when zipped, and they would be very difficult to manufacture anyway at that size. So, manufacturers use zippers that are larger than 1/6-- I'm guessing they are about 1/3 scale... which is twice as big as they should be in order to look realistic. The Iris clothing set has this same issue.

Therefore, I'm thinking about replacing the zippers on the leather jacket with some edge material that looks like 1/6 scale zipper but doesn't actually function. I've done a lot of searching, but I can't find anything. The only idea I have is to contact a laser-etching company, and have thin aluminum strips of simulated zipper laser-cut to my specs. The strips would have one straight edge, and one toothed edge that will serve as the visible zipper detail. (If I decide this is the only way to go, I'll have them laser-cut some 1/6 zipper pull-tabs also) The teeth and the spaces between them would be quite tiny at 1/6 scale, but at least they would look convincing. Then I can make the lower half of the jacket close with magnets installed under the waist belt area.

Custom laser-cutting isn't cheap... but this is the only solution I can think of. If someone else knows a better way, or a better material, please let me know. Judging by this thread, there are quite a few Max figures that would benefit from more realistic zippers.

I have a challenge: HELP ME FIND A SUITABLE MATERIAL TO SIMULATE A 1/6 ZIPPER!!!

Soon I'll get the Iris clothing set for my Max figure. As we all know, zippers are NEVER true 1/6 scale, because the teeth would be so fragile that they would break when zipped, and they would be very difficult to manufacture anyway at that size. So, manufacturers use zippers that are larger than 1/6-- I'm guessing they are about 1/3 scale... which is twice as big as they should be in order to look realistic. The Iris clothing set has this same issue.

Therefore, I'm thinking about replacing the zippers on the leather jacket with some edge material that looks like 1/6 scale zipper but doesn't actually function. I've done a lot of searching, but I can't find anything. The only idea I have is to contact a laser-etching company, and have thin aluminum strips of simulated zipper laser-cut to my specs. The strips would have one straight edge, and one toothed edge that will serve as the visible zipper detail. (If I decide this is the only way to go, I'll have them laser-cut some 1/6 zipper pull-tabs also) The teeth and the spaces between them would be quite tiny at 1/6 scale, but at least they would look convincing. Then I can make the lower half of the jacket close with magnets installed under the waist belt area.

Custom laser-cutting isn't cheap... but this is the only solution I can think of. If someone else knows a better way, or a better material, please let me know. Judging by this thread, there are quite a few Max figures that would benefit from more realistic zippers.

you can use velcro on the inside to keep it together, and get metal square pieces used for nail art (i know they have round ones suitable for 1/6 so they should have square ones), the glue them onto the surface to mimic zipper teeth. i don't knw about the zipper slider & handle.

if not you may try manually cutting the small teeth pieces with hobby plastic and line them up.

The zipper on the Iris set that came from the Velvet Morning Road Warrior set are about as in-scale as you can get and the zipper actually functions.

Older picture but you can see how the zipper looks and works.
GEDC0654.JPG

I haven't seen the new FR sculpt, but I'm not a huge fan of the reboot anyway.

The Iris zipper doesn't look absolutely terrible, but it's still double the size it should be.
I'm aiming for perfectly scaled zippers, which is why I have no intention of making them functional. I think if I can find some aluminum or steel flat strips that are thin enough, (0.5mm x 0.2mm) I can nip individual teeth, twice as long as the visible teeth need to be, then I can bend / clamp them onto the edge of a light nylon fabric, one-at-a-time, then glue all along the back side. That way I can control the spaces between the teeth.
Then, after the glue is dry, I'll cut the nylon fabric into a thin strip with the zipper teeth in place at the edge. And Finally, I'll make the pull-tabs by hand.

Last edited:

The Iris zipper doesn't look absolutely terrible, but it's still double the size it should be.
I'm aiming for perfectly scaled zippers, which is why I have no intention of making them functional. I think if I can find some aluminum or steel flat strips that are thin enough, (0.5mm x 0.2mm) I can nip individual teeth, twice as long as the visible teeth need to be, then I can bend / clamp them onto the edge of a light nylon fabric, one-at-a-time, then glue all along the back side. That way I can control the spaces between the teeth.
Then, after the glue is dry, I'll cut the nylon fabric into a thin strip with the zipper teeth in place at the edge. And Finally, I'll make the pull-tabs by hand.

Sounds ambitious and incredibly tedious. I hope that works out, mate. :)

Yes, it would be tedious- which is why I'm going to try having the zippers laser-cut in aluminum first.
With laser-cutting, I can have them make open zipper edges and closed/zipped section too, for the pockets.
I could make the designs myself in Photoshop, and include the pull-tabs at the ends.
Then when I'm working with them in-hand, I can just fold back the pull-tabs in a realistic way.

Making them by hand, one tooth at a time, is definitely a fall-back position.

have you considered using super fine bug screen mesh? if 1/1 screens too thick you can use hobby mesh.

I think I found the solution: 0.5mm box chain. The links are square, and only HALF A MILIMETER wide.
By my measurements, that's a perfect 1/6 scale zipper. I can sew it on with invisible thread.
For the closed zipper sections, two strands of this chain side-by-side, sewn together, will be only 1mm wide.

Multiply 1mm by 6, (1:1 scale) and you get a 6mm wide closed zipper. That's close enough for me.
THIS ONEs-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Cant wait to see the finished result, You are right the zippers on 1/6 scale are always oversized. If you dont care for a functioning zipper then this is a good idea.

Did you get your head painted yet?

Cant wait to see the finished result, You are right the zippers on 1/6 scale are always oversized. If you dont care for a functioning zipper then this is a good idea.

Did you get your head painted yet?
Yes, my head is fully painted now.
I'm excited too about having accurate zippers, but I won't have my leather jacket in-hand until mid June. In the meantime, I'll do whatever testing I can in other ways. I think I have a plan for making the three other elements required for complete zippers:

1) the zipper 'connectors' - (the things that guide and lock the two zipper edges together, whatever they're called)
2) the end stops, located at the very end of the zippers
3) the pull-tabs

Update: I have the chain in my hands now... This stuff is PERFECT!

Last edited:
Shipped)

UlliPekka said:
1. Rick Phares (facebook) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843195969UA
3. arnax1985 (SSF) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843195990UA
4. ombudsman (SSF) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196023UA
5. Renato Naciff (facebook) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196054UA
9. shells075 (SSF) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196085UA
10. Davide Polli (facebook) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196111UA
12. Jbeltram4 (SSF) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196142UA
14. Comatoast (SSF) - unpainted Full payment RO003021150RU
19. Joe Staub (facebook) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196045UA

Cant wait to see the finished result, You are right the zippers on 1/6 scale are always oversized.

Here are some photos of my progress on the 1/6 zipper mod. I still need to apply more chain, then make the zipper guides and pull tabs... but so far, I'm loving the results. Compared to the original white zipper that came with this Iris jacket, there's no contest.

KIMG0474.jpg
KIMG0475.JPGKIMG0476.JPG

Last edited:
Shipped)

UlliPekka said:
1. Rick Phares (facebook) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843195969UA
3. arnax1985 (SSF) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843195990UA
4. ombudsman (SSF) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196023UA
5. Renato Naciff (facebook) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196054UA
9. shells075 (SSF) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196085UA
10. Davide Polli (facebook) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196111UA
12. Jbeltram4 (SSF) - painted Full payment + shipping RA843196142UA