Sovereign Studios Newt Project ALIENS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something of an update....

STILL working hard on this, guys! I seem to have ended up with something like a small "focus group" on the project. The problem with the head was that her eyes were too high on her face. That's why she looked older. Childrens' eyes seem to fall on the center axis of the face, i.e.; equal distance from center of eye to hairline and chin. I actually did manage to correct this using the same sculpt, and now I have two versions. The eyes may be too far apart on one of them, I don't know yet. I'll have pics soon.

For those of you still interested, thank you. For those of you getting out, that's understandable. But please keep in mind, I am NOT a factory with 20-man, on-staff design team. I'm ONE guy, with a big workload. I think I've only been on this for a couple months. Just because SS and other compaines announce a figure and release it three months later doesn't mean it only took three months to design and fabricate. Most projects are in the works LONG before they ever announce anything; a year or more in most cases.

Thanks for the update, Shawn. I'm curious to see this V2 sculpt.

I'm in no rush to get this at all.
I understand what your saying completely , I recently opened a sig thing to make them for people , they take 20 mins on average and even that is taking up all my time !. :lol:lol
So I can't even imagine how long a work load of detailed time consuming stuff like this takes !.
I know this is real early but do we have a round about price the full figure would go for ?. Just in the ball park ?.
It would be handy to know just to keep spare. Because if its a time like now I would be skint!.
Forgive me if this has already been posted by the way.

SovereignStudio, please add my name to the list of 'interested pending on final sculpt'. I definitely want Newt, but don't think it's too much to ask to see what it is I'm being asked to buy. Having said that, I am expecting big things on this, so please keep us apprised of your progress. Hope your kids are better and you have found serenity in all your other projects! :peace

Bump...

Thanks for the update Shawn. Looking forward to seeing new pics of the improved sculpt.

FYI, Shawn said it will be in the Keaton range as far as price, that's 125.

Holy crap!:horror An update!:banana

Head is done, outfit is about half there. Here's a breakdown of the image below:

1) The sculpt as it was when I first completed it; the preliminary stage.
2) "Before" is a painted cast of the prelim. sculpt with temp hair. "After" is the same image, manipulated in photoshop to decide what I did wrong. It's a highly useful step, keeps you from physically resculpting a thing over and over. Here, the chin is shorter and more child-like and the eyes are lowered/moved slightly closer together. I think this really captured what she needed to look like, according to that very particular expression you guys wanted.
3) The revised physical sculpt, done from the digital correction.

newtchronicle.jpg

Bravo Shawn! That eye relocation makes all the difference. She now looks more like a Child which she was. It's amazing how an eye relocation brings the rest of her features into synch, because the head , jawline, nose and the rest were awfully close as Les has maintained. Now, with her eyes lowered and placed closer together I can see that child in her. I can't wait to see a painted mock up and for that matter an actual proto with real hair.

Thank you...

Oh, Guys , we have to start talking about bodies SOON! :D

I may go with a Did child body and have leg surgery done as needed. it seems to have the best articulation out of the choices I've seen.

Another digital rework. This is the physical sculpt from image #3 above; digital color and eye transplant. Not a tru representation of what she will look like completed, but it gives a better idea.

newtchronicle2.jpg

Can't believe I forgot a profile shot....
DSC02470.jpg

And just for fun, since this is an ALIENS thread, I ran across a painting I did for Dark Horse in '94. They never used it.
00page2.jpg

Last edited:
Good lord, an update!!!!!

Nice improvement, Shawn. NEWT is shaping up nicely. Now against the new sculpt, the old sculpt's issues become glaringly apparent. Thanks for sticking with it and remaining determined to get it right.

I'm also really happy to hear the outfit is half-way there. That was fast.

I realize the molded hair is just temp for visual ref for now, but I can't wait to see what the sculpt will look like with faux hair.

Have you settled on a body yet for the full figure option as opposed to a kit?

Glad you like it, Wor-Gar. Still going over body options. By the way, who made that Goldfinger in your signature?? That thing is freakin' amazing! Even the shot perspective looks great, the background scale. Looks like the actor standing in your kitchen!!

By the way, who made that Goldfinger in your signature?? That thing is freakin' amazing! Even the shot perspective looks great, the background scale. Looks like the actor standing in your kitchen!!

Thanks! The Goldfinger sculpt was done by Spenser, the paint work by Les, and I cobbled together the clothing. I really love that piece, it came out exceptionally well. Got lucky with the angle on the camera. :)

Not bad, Shawn. She seems to have lost some chin, but otherwise, she is much more on target.
(I still want just a head with no hair please :D.)
Great stuff! Hope you work the body out.

wow that is an awesome sculpt! looks incredible. so much like the little ozzie brat in the film. i can see what les means about losing the chin but from what i can recall, newt didn't have much of a chin - she was a pouty little git (sorry, i absolutely love the movie, but hate the child actress who played newt). looks dead-on to me.

Ozzie? She's American (and was living in Britain at the time of the film, if I recall). I'm also not sure what you have against her. She wasn't nearly as annoying as most kids in films, IMHO.

ah, sorry dude. i guess her acting was so all over the shop i didn't know where she was coming from. :eek: i could've sworn she sounded slightly ozzie though.

Back