Something distantly regarding this thing of ours...(OT)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First looks solely for the JAWS gang of desperados, a custom I started planning about ten months ago, maybe more, involving two of the gang. You'll see when you finally finish scrolling. :rolleyes:

webrelease.jpg

Additional Info:

Body: Characterhouse Jao Taekwondo figure (2000), neckpost and wristpegs replaced using the Hobby Base Premium Parts Collection Big Ball Joint kit from HobbyLink Japan (for the neckpost) and Hot Toys wrist pegs. Both replacements amended using Aves Apoxie as pictured:

neckpost.jpg

wristpegs.jpg

Hands and Neck Adapter: Hot Toys

The body is clad in the Hot Toys Godfather fat suit, with the dacron removed from the thigh portions.

Shirt: ACI Toys, modified by replacing 4mm buttons with fusible metal dots, and sealing and trimming the sleeve seams to make realistic rolled-up sleeves. Fusible dots purchased from Minidolls.com.

Tie: Hot Toys Two-Face

Watch: FA008 1/6 Accessories-Aviator/Pilot Watch from Minibarbie Boutique

Newspaper: Photoshop, printed on kid's drawing paper. Rough top and bottom edges achieved using an X-acto knife with a serrated blade from Micro-Mark

Belt: Buckle from Hot Toys James Dean, black kangaroo lace from Rio Rondo

Base: Hot Toys, using a laser-printed decal designed in Photoshop. The design pattern replicates the floor of the City Room in the program.

The packaging: Staples mailing box, Photoshop & Costco Photo Center for the label, some Quick-Dry Dacron, and a shell I kept from I don't know when or what:

PresentationBrds.jpg

Let the praise for Trev and Les begin. I thank you both, gentlemen. I'll see that this account gets to where Vikki can see it too.

Last edited:
That's pretty outstanding. Even comes with tweezers. :lol

Expertly reworked body! Awesome sculpt! Amazing paint work! And those nicely tailored slacks!

Great job by all!

You got to do a Ted Baxter now, you know that.

This project was a joy! I don't always get to sculpt faces with as much character as Ed's, and I really enjoyed getting to tackle this.

Les- what can I say, man....You, without fail, take my work and elevate it to such a high level. You really give any sculpt I do such life and character. Thank you!

It's a terrific looking figure, and the presentation is awesome!
Trev

Wow, that is truly great on all fronts; from sculpt to paint to body mod and outfit. Congrats on having such a unique figure in the collection.

"Mary, get in here!" :lol

Seriously, this is one of the finest customs I have ever seen. :clap You should all be very proud. And the outfit is outstanding, i don't know who that Tailor is, but she's terrific. Congrats...

It was an honor to work on this one. Thanks for the opportunity, Gruff.
And Trevor, your sculpts never cease to impress. This one was a toughie though, and one of the few I took lots of in prog pics of. I should post those sometime, as it would give insights into how I paint. But Trev, it was the accuracy of this sculpt that had me working so hard. You NAILED him! And I had to do a paint that was accurate to him at a specific period also, a little later than Mary Tyler Moore show, Lou Grant period. A little more grey. But yeah, he looks ready for a Mary and a Ted doesn't he. Makes one pine! I swear Trev, if you did a Ted Baxter...man!!!....he would work in Caddyshack customs too. One can dream...(Then I start thinking of Rodney heads, and my brain explodes!)

Anyway, so glad to have been a part of this. I know there is a little more to come with it I think, so you guys wait and see. Lonnie, the cert is a new layout for me. I lost my old ones, and worked up one for this which I like better I think. That is my new standard certificate. Don't use it often nowadays, but one never knows.

And yeah, Vik did a great job too! So did you! Super adaptations. You should do a thread somewhere of adapting bodies and joints. I know I have done my share. That is half the fun of some of these customs.

Great post Gruff. Been a long time coming! :rock

Wow... That's STUNNING... Amazing figure, one of the flat out best presentations I have ever...EVER seen.

Insane detail work by all involved, a home run figure if ever I saw one. :rock:rock:rock

"Oh Mr. Grant"
:lol
I was always a Ted Baxter fan myself.
So Gruff whats the story on this?
Ed is an usual choice to commission and go through so much trouble
over. Will you present it personally? Kudos to all involved.
He came out perfect.

Beautiful work by everyone, with no personal investment in this piece, I still find a great joy seeing it all done up, these little private projects embody the true collecting spirit to me. It's such a shame that the people with their hearts in the right place for the hobby are the ones that live in the shadows and bear secrets while the tainted occupy the light. Happy to share the shadows with you guys though, it's a treat to go on this collecting ride with you.

Yes, it's a shame that so much of what was once a haven has been overrun by know-it-all prattlers. I'd like to share the how-to of the body conversion in the customs forum, and feel that the work by Trev, Les and Vikki is entitled to more exposure. But I know what would ensue: a mix of fury and whining over a.) Mr. Asner's political activism and b.) Les' backlog, respectively. And probably some subject c.) that I can't even anticipate. So what's the freakin' point? My interest is figures and figure-building. I'm just glad Dave has enabled some of us to gather over in one corner and share.

Spartan Rex, I'm remembering that you had a way to get your planned Tom Selleck Quigley to Mr. Selleck, so I'm not surprised you asked. (Did that ever happen?) In this case, the figure is already with the subject; it was a birthday gift, and yes, I gave it to him personally. Lou Grant actually turned 80 last Sunday. He loved it.

Fly and Fight, cover your eyes:

b-day1p.jpg

All the pictures posted so far are of the one he received, but I made a second figure to keep. If I post future photos they'll be of that one, and the paint Les did is a little different. I haven't actually photographed it yet.

I do have plans to provide my Lou with company, but not from the Mary show; if that had been my intention he'd have been heavier, fleshier, and also would have had more hair. And a bottle of single-malt scotch instead of a copy of the Tribune. The way these things progress, I don't expect to have anything more to show for many months. These projects are laborious and slow, and delays are frequent.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I hope Trev and Les are proud of their work; they should be, and I'm extremely grateful to them both.

Last edited:
I'm VERY proud to say I got to be part of this! Of course, I can always criticize my own sculpting, but there's always that moment when you let it go and enjoy the fruits of everyone's labor.

If anyone hasn't checked out Lou Grant (in my case, it was before my time, like most of the best stuff) Please do! There are episodes on Hulu. I really enjoyed watching the show while working.

I agree that sharing some of these projects is more trouble than it should be. I'm always cautious to share stuff I do because I figure it'll cause some form of trouble. I still haven't shared my Firefly stuff, and I'm a bit cautious to do so, still.

Trev

Rockin' Gruff! As always, so proud to have been a part of it.
Great to see him getting it. THAT is a first! Rock on Trev! And of course, Vikki too! :rock

Never thought I'd say this about Lou Grant, but he's beautiful! I'm proud of the work y'all have done on him! Just fantastic! You are justly proud.

Yes, it's a shame that so much of what was once a haven has been overrun by know-it-all prattlers. I'd like to share the how-to of the body conversion in the customs forum, and feel that the work by Trev, Les and Vikki is entitled to more exposure. But I know what would ensue: a mix of fury and whining over a.) Mr. Asner's political activism and b.) Les' backlog, respectively. And probably some subject c.) that I can't even anticipate. So what's the freakin' point? My interest is figures and figure-building. I'm just glad Dave has enabled some of us to gather over in one corner and share.

Spartan Rex, I'm remembering that you had a way to get your planned Tom Selleck Quigley to Mr. Selleck, so I'm not surprised you asked. (Did that ever happen?) In this case, the figure is already with the subject; it was a birthday gift, and yes, I gave it to him personally. Lou Grant actually turned 80 last Sunday. He loved it.

Well Gruff, I congratulate you on a wonderful "mission accomplished."
How wonderfully satisfying for you. I am somewhat envious that you pulled off almost exactly what I am still trying to do.
Yes, literally years in the making.:rolleyes:
I hope I dont have to wait as long as Selleck's 80th birthday however :lol
Hey I just realized a weird connection here.
Do you recall the series Ed Asner and Selleck were in together? I dont think it even lasted a full season.
I think youre one of the few people who fully realize what Im going through on the Quigley project, a very laborious and frustrating
journey. The tricky part is after the project is done is trying to get it into Tom's hands. That is logistically dicey unless youve got a trust worthy confirmed contact. I dont.
Go through his production company?
His agent?
Deliver to his house in Santa Barbara and get signature confirmation?:lol
Then how do get the bonus of pictures of him unwrapping the gift or even posing with it? :duh
Hmmm.....maybe since your buddies with Ed we ask him to deliver it and take the picts :lol
Any insights you can offer?
....and may I say very fortuitous for us that we both know a 1/6th sculpting wunderkind?
Turns out Trevor has made his own amazing contribution to my Matthew Quigley project.:google
I dont want to derail your thread so I'll start a new one so the other boys in our "He-man woman haters" club house can see and comment.
:peace

Oh hey, something Jaws related guys: The glasses that come with Henry Jones Sr seem to be perfect for Brody and Hooper.
Some dremeling down off the corners for Hooper would be in order but they look great on the sculpts....so fyi.

Last edited:
Fly and Fight, cover your eyes:

I apologize for that post. I didn't mean for it to come across the way it did. I've just never been a fan of the man's politics. I'll leave it at that.

An amazing figure and tribute, never-the-less. Those photos are truly wonderful.

I had a similar experience with a project that I was involved with, a couple of years ago in which a small group of us hired a sculptor to do a statue of "Faramir" (which was never done by SS/Weta) and then we presented one of the statues to David Wenham, the actor that portrayed Faramir in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Also got one to Richard Taylor of Weta.

Back