So Most Superheros Are Against the Death Penalty

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing about the death penalty is that it is never enacted by victims or relatives of victims and it is conducted in cold blood to unarmed prisoners. And with the exception of the Punisher, I'm having a hard time coming up with any mainstream superhero that is in favor of executing anyone in cold blood. Wolverine might have. And, yes, Cap and Bucky have killed... hundreds of people in the war... but not prisoners. And deaths resulting from mortal combat can hardly be considered capital punishment.

Although some of the superheroes in The Boys have done more than their share of homicides. Homicides and then some.

Last edited:
But they aren't just "unarmed prisoners," they are prisoners presumably tried and convicted of committing the most heinous types of crimes. This isn't like guys executing prisoners in a POW camp. And the determination of who should die, if it is to be made, arguably should be made via the cold, impartial process of the judicial system. Victims are far from unbiased in those situations, and could contribute to grave miscarriages of justice if they were allowed to decide such things.

Not that I'm really defending capital punishment, but I don't agree with the perspective of your post.

Wolverine has killed, hence, his slogan.

But they aren't just "unarmed prisoners," they are prisoners presumably tried and convicted of committing the most heinous types of crimes. This isn't like guys executing prisoners in a POW camp. And the determination of who should die, if it is to be made, arguably should be made via the cold, impartial process of the judicial system. Victims are far from unbiased in those situations, and could contribute to grave miscarriages of justice if they were allowed to decide such things.

Not that I'm really defending capital punishment, but I don't agree with the perspective of your post.

You'll never get the ignorant to understand that unless they have someone close to them as a victim.

You are wrong that Batman never kills.

"Summary: How the bad guys die
Detective 27: falls to death in fight
Detective 28: thrown screaming off roof
Detective 29: lassoed by neck (implied in next issue to be dead)
Detective 30: neck snapped by kick
Detective 31: car crashes into tree
Detective 31: vampire shot with silver bullets
Detective 33: "blown up" by explosion caused by gunshot
Detective 33: leader dies in plane crash
Detective 34: falls to death in car
Detective 35: splash page (not story) shows Batman with smoking gun
Detective 35: hurled by punch back onto sword
Detective 35: falls to death
Detective 36: hurled by punch back onto sword (two issues in a row! Batman comments that it's better that the villain die than his many future victims)
Detective 38: kicked off a girder at great height by Robin
Batman 1: truck of henchmen shot from airplane (Batman comments "As much as I hate to take human life, I'm afraid this time it's necessary.")"

https://rikdad.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/does-batman-kill-his-enemies.html

Superman has also executed 3 Kryptonians

"Some time ago Superman journeyed to an otherdimensional "pocket universe" that had its own Krypton and Earth. After defeating three Kryptonians native to that universe who had murdered the entire population of its Earth, Superman executed the trio, believing there was no other way to stop them. The tremendous guilt Superman felt over this act combined by the psychic manipulation by his foe Braniac, caused him to develop a temporary split personality. Believing himself to be potentially dangerous to humanity, Superman exiled himself to space, eventually taken prisoner by the forces of the alien tyrant Mongul. During this time Superman resolved never to kill again...." "

The idea that Batman lets the law decide the real fate of the criminals he captures is the most conventional interpretation of modern Batman, going back at least to Dark Knight Returns (where he goes on about not being able to kill Joker). Those examples Fabio links to are either dated or atypical.

As to whether or not he would accept a death penalty, it would probably depend on whether or not that was acceptable in the DC Universe's justice system. Of course, the DC earth isn't the same as the real world earth that the Marvel characters inhabit, and lots of little things are different. If Batman were wholly against such a thing, then he might make an exception for cases where he thought criminals might get the death penalty, and lock them up in the Wayne cave or something.

Your comment that Batman wouldn't turn over prisoners who were facing the death penalty flies in the face of your reasoning that he doesn't kill because he believes that its the role of the law to punish them.

As to being dated, believe it or not just because something didn't occur in the last 5 minutes doesn't make it irrelevent.

I look at the early Detective Comics kills as a place where he evolved from. The relevance of the past doesn't make the present moot.

When deconstructing comic books, we shouldn't confuse lethal force or hot blooded revenge or temporary insanity with the cold, impartial processes that determines capital punishment. If the Iluminati decided to blast the Hulk into the sun a few years back instead of to his own planet, that would have been capital punishment. But instead it was (meant to be) life without parole. If Batman kicks someone too hard in a fight that's not capital punishment either. For that matter, if he were to fly into a rage and kill someone who he felt deserved it, that would be temporary insanity.

I didn't mean to reveal my perspective. Lol I just wanted to get clear on some terms. But the act of capital punishment is always carried out on someone who is no threat in the moment. And that's true wether it's a mass murderer or an adulterer, a crime I believe they still put you to death for in some countries.

Personally my perspective has evolved over the years similar to that of Howard Stern's. I used to argue the emotional argument as I would love to see all the serial killers and pedo-priests and mass murderes put down for good but now I just don't trust the state to kill its own prisoners.

Last edited:
When deconstructing comic books, we shouldn't confuse lethal force or hot blooded revenge or temporary insanity with the cold, impartial processes that determines capital punishment.

Have you ever lost a loved one, or a close friend to a murderer?

Got nothing to contribute to another wonderful thread by ChunkyZergling but what does this have to do with the "Printed Word" section?

I don't think Batman is necessarily against the death penalty. I think he's (at least nominally) against pretrial execution of criminals by masked vigilantes, as opposed to execution being imposed as an after-trial penalty by an impartial justice system.

SnakeDoc

it is all propaganda

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Back