SMALLVILLE: Season 8

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I love KK, she was getting annoying on the show! She really has no place left in the show & I'm actually not excited to see her come back. I like the was the cast fits together now and I think bringing her back even for a few episodes won't really work.

And like everyone is saying, I LOVE DOOMSDAY!!!! Such an awesome storyline and I'm glad they are being true to the comic story. Can't wait for him to transform. To bad they are bringin him out before Clark is even Superman??

If this is the last season and they're doing a great job of setting up the mythology - from the cape to Kandor. It was always said that the final shot of the final episode would be him in the suit flying off to Metropolis.

We just need Kara back to teach him to fly.

I didn't know that he would be in the suit at all. If the final shot is that, then I'll be happy. :D Just to see Tom Welling as Superman in the suit once would be a nice bookend to the series. I thought he'd refused to wear it, and Cough and Millar always said "no flight, no tights". But we're already having the "flight" part. Now we need the "tights". I wish Welling would be Superman in the next movie. The latest I heard is that Brandon Routh is still in as Superman. Anyone heard different? :confused:

Routh is probably going to make the Superman cut even considering the Reboot as WB really liked him casted as the part. Welling has said repeatedly he has absolutely no interest in playing Superman on the Big or Small screen so that is out. Again Welling in a Supersuit is just rumor, another one was that he'd hold the Supersuit as if about to put it on and it'd fade to black during a thematic score. Nothing is solid yet until we hear that the last episode was filmed then the news will start to trickle in.

Okay. I actually really enjoyed Superman Returns, and Routh's work in it as both Clark and Superman. I fully supported it, and saw it in the IMAX with 3-D parts. It was great. So when he comes back in the next Superman, that is fine with me. I'll go see it and buy the DVD just like I did for S.R. Still, I would love to see Welling in the suit...just once. Here's to hoping for that in the final episode of Smallville. :D

I have one concern/question though. Superman's disguise has always been a pair of glasses. He puts on the glasses and suddenly nobody recognizes him as Clark Kent, nobody puts two and two together.

Smallville's Clark Kent has never put on glasses, so when he becomes Superman everyone will recognize the face. Am I missing something?

Luis

I have one concern/question though. Superman's disguise has always been a pair of glasses. He puts on the glasses and suddenly nobody recognizes him as Clark Kent, nobody puts two and two together.

Smallville's Clark Kent has never put on glasses, so when he becomes Superman everyone will recognize the face. Am I missing something?

Luis

They must have a plan for this - it's a staple of the mythology - hopefully it will be as creative as what they've come up with for Doomsday.

I saw one quick scene of him with the glasses on pushing them up on his nose with his finger in the title sequence this season. Did I miss that scene this season, or is it yet to come? :confused: It looked like he was in a suit amoung a crowd, inside what looked to be the Daily Planet.

I agree that at least so far...we haven't seen Clark wearing glasses at the Daily Planet, or anywhere else for that matter.

Clark did wear glasses briefly for one episode a couple of seasons ago. Fans went nutso for it even though it was common knowledge that it wasn't a long term thing.

Superman: Birthright handled it interestingly having Clark spend time outside of the US to really experience the need for his power and upon returning Ma Kent mentioned that its the deep blue in his eyes that makes it memorable. He puts on the glasses with lenses that are tinted a bit to really draw attention away from them, then changes his stature, his mannerisms, even his way of speaking developing a "studder" that doesn't actually exist.

The thing about Superman is that he hides in plain sight. His persona as Clark is so believable that those who make the connection immediately second guess themselves and dismiss it. When you look at Clark slumped over with thick coke bottle glasses, messy hair and a studder, then look at Superman who is standing upright, tall, with a powerful and commanding voice, hair slicked back and deep blue eyes....people almost say Clark kind of looks like a dorky version of Superman nothing more.

Reeve did this perfectly in the 1970s Superman film and something along those lines could easily work in Smallville but they'd have to separate Clark from Lois, Jimmy and anyone who he'd come in contact with regularly to create that new persona and have it stick. The only reason Clark would have needed glasses in Smallville is if he were Superboy which here he isn't but they made an additional issue with introducing Metropolis folks into the stream. One argues what about pictures and such, the modern comic mythos has stated that Clark himself is picture along side articles and such that people just assume that Clark naturally turned into the persona he wanted. Its a psychological thing with Superman more than anything, having you doubt yourself and the ability to connect the dots is more the game than having to hide out. That is why when people actually find out they are one and the same its such a shock because they feel foolish for not making the connection before.

Clark did wear glasses briefly for one episode a couple of seasons ago. Fans went nutso for it even though it was common knowledge that it wasn't a long term thing.

Superman: Birthright handled it interestingly having Clark spend time outside of the US to really experience the need for his power and upon returning Ma Kent mentioned that its the deep blue in his eyes that makes it memorable. He puts on the glasses with lenses that are tinted a bit to really draw attention away from them, then changes his stature, his mannerisms, even his way of speaking developing a "studder" that doesn't actually exist.

The thing about Superman is that he hides in plain sight. His persona as Clark is so believable that those who make the connection immediately second guess themselves and dismiss it. When you look at Clark slumped over with thick coke bottle glasses, messy hair and a studder, then look at Superman who is standing upright, tall, with a powerful and commanding voice, hair slicked back and deep blue eyes....people almost say Clark kind of looks like a dorky version of Superman nothing more.

Reeve did this perfectly in the 1970s Superman film and something along those lines could easily work in Smallville but they'd have to separate Clark from Lois, Jimmy and anyone who he'd come in contact with regularly to create that new persona and have it stick. The only reason Clark would have needed glasses in Smallville is if he were Superboy which here he isn't but they made an additional issue with introducing Metropolis folks into the stream. One argues what about pictures and such, the modern comic mythos has stated that Clark himself is picture along side articles and such that people just assume that Clark naturally turned into the persona he wanted. Its a psychological thing with Superman more than anything, having you doubt yourself and the ability to connect the dots is more the game than having to hide out. That is why when people actually find out they are one and the same its such a shock because they feel foolish for not making the connection before.

Easiest explaination I can think of for people accepting Clarks double persona in Smallville after knowing him for years would be a brainiac reboot of those close to him by Chloe. Her line between right and wrong is obviously blurring and her full brainiac power is still not known.

Last edited:
Brainiac is fully taking control of Chloe this week, so that would make sense Hulk and the show certainly isn't shy about those kind of story tactics. ;)

The closest you'll get to Welling actually playing Superman is some kind of final shot in the last episode and even that's iffy.

Great episode, last scene conversation gave me goosebumps....then the preview for next week...

All I can say is...

HOLY ^^^^! IT IS DOOMSDAY!!

Great episode, last scene conversation gave me goosebumps....then the preview for next week...

All I can say is...

HOLY ^^^^! IT IS DOOMSDAY!!

That's what I thought too! Another great episode. Loved all the flashback scenes to previous seasons, and when Chloe goes to Clark's barn for the first time. Davis is great too. Haha, I just realized he's Vader's apprentice in Force Unleashed. I knew the character in the game looked familiar. :eek:

GOOD GOD, Doomsday looks AWESOME. The best part is Clark throwing a punch and doomsday just catching his fist! Part of me loves it...the other part kinda wishes Clark would go up against someone that he COULD beat. Doomsday is unbeatable...even for full strength superman!

WOW! :D Tonight's episode was great. One of the best. As we've said in this thread before, this season keeps getting better and better. I enjoyed seeing the younger versions of Chloe and Clark in the barn. That was a nice scene. I'm excited to see Doomsday in his final form, at least for a second, in the preview for next week's episode! Yeah, Clark really has his hands full now. So, Lana is returning, and all of Clark's friends are at Jimmy and Chloe's wedding? :horror Oh boy. Clark's going to really have some explaning to do when he has to confront Doomsday at the wedding. You know I like seeing Doomsday in Smallville, but at the same time I wanted to see Clark battle him as Superman. Just like in the comic book, Superman issue #75, where Doomsday killed Superman.

I don't know who the two villains are that Bryan Singer has planned for his Superman: The Man Of Steel movie, but I wonder if Doomsday will show up there? Or possibly Brainiac, or even Bizarro?

I really love this show. One of my all-time favorite T.V. shows. As I've said before, Superman is my favorite superhero. It's been so great to see a top-quality show about his growing up years. :D

I agree that actor Sam Witwer is a GREAT choice for Davis/Doomsday! He's proven himself to me after his terrific work in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Smallville is far and away my favorite show on tv right now. Tonight's episode was just brilliant. The moments between Clark and Jor-El in the fortress gave me chills.

Next week... Doomsday! :horror

I thought this episode was a bit boring, but they've raised the bar so high this season there was bound to be a few lulls. But young Chloe was perfectly cast and the Kryptonian Doom symbol is very cool.

AND we have another beat in the mythology with Kal-El reconciling with Jor-El. And perhaps we'll have Marsters back, at least in voice. So how about a Jor-El reset for all of Clark's friends to erase the memory of his amazing abilities?

As for next week - I never anticipated they'd try to replicate the comic look of Doomsday - and he kind of looked like a big muppet in those quick shots.

But even though I didn't like as much as some other episodes this season - it was still great writing. And I'm glad they're saying "screw it" to the episodic narrative that most networks prefer - just one big long story is how I like it.

Back