Singapore toy games and comic convention and the hot toys scam

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jediguy

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is what happened yesterday at STGCC. It's been many weeks and I've been told SEVERAL TIMES at the various Action City branches abt the Convention Exclusive Hot Toys Mark. 21 MIDAS figure. The staff told me countless times how there would be only 800 pieces available and how RARE and EXCLUSIVE that this piece would be and that was all the allocation available in Singapore.

On friday night, we collectors worked together getting updates as the queue formed. We were supposed to meet up at 3am but by 11pm it was getting crowded. We made our way down and began queuing at 1230am. By 6am we were inside the building having successfully secured our slot. I met friends who had been waiting since 3pm the previous afternoon. We were approximately no. 770 in the line.

That's when the bull**** really began. We were told that to secure our orders , we had to fill out a form and except for quick meals and toilet breaks we could should not leave the hall.

At 8am, finally the cashiers were opened. FOR THE 800 PEOPLE IN THE QUEUE, THERE WERE ONLY 2 CASH REGISTERS

Then we found out , ANOTHER 800 POs were made available . WHAT LIMITED EDITION IS THIS? Delivery 1st quarter next year. I was told repeated that " only 800 pieces available and only at STGCC" . So what 800 POs was this? 1600 released in Singapore. THE CROWD IN THE HALL WAS CONVENIENTLY NOT TOLD OF THIS . STAFF WERE SEEN TELLING THE SOB STORY WHERE DUE TO A FIGHT THE PREVIOUS NIGHT, THEY HAD DECIDED TO RELEASE MORE. WHAT KIND OF REASONING IS THIS?

IF IT IS LIMITED EDITION AS YOU CLAIM ACTION CITY AND HOT TOYS,HOW CAN YOU JUST ORDER MORE AS YOU SEE FIT? YOU MISLED YOUR FANS.

By the time my friends had made payment for their figures, it was 2pm. THEY HAD BEEN WAITING 6 HOURS TO MAKE PAYMENT. People who got the PO were also ushered into the hall .

After last year's debacle where ONLY FANS WHO BUY HT EXCLUSIVES AT THE SHOW CAN MEET THE HOT TOYS PRODUCTION CREW, I really thought that things would improve. WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED THIS TIME?

HOT TOYS AND ACTION CITY. IF YOU WANT TO SELL SUCH LARGE QUANTITIES, YOU SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST HAD THE DECENCY TO ARRANGE PROPER LOGISTICAL SUPPORT.

ALSO HOW DARE YOU MISLEAD YOUR FANS. I AM UTTERLY DISGUSTED BY THIS.

THIS IS NOT HOW YOU RUN A BUSINESS.

And in case you're wondering, no I gave my MIDAS spot away to someone else.

hot toys is looking to get one in the hands of every collector that wants one. is it such a big deal that 5000 collectors get this instead of 3000? it still will be a desirable part of the HT IM collection. as i realize the rarity of something makes it more valuable and collectible, i am pretty sure the final ES would be mostly a concern for someone looking to purchase multiples and flip them.

to add, hot toys is a business!!!! :lol:lol:lol

Baby-crying-1884717.jpg

I can understand his complain. I mean, they offered 800 more for PO, so for the people who didn't want to wait in line and are willing to wait until early next year, they can PO it. For those who still want to wait inline, then no complains and go wait. But according to Jediguy, no one knew this info ahead of time. I would be upset too. But on the bright side, seems like there will be plenty to go around by the time the US get this.

This is the world's smallest violin, playing just for you
tumblr_mp8u10t6K01sst214o1_500.gif

I must have missed the part where this was a scam? So what they released more? people in line still got it half a year before other people.

Resellers beware, anyone who wants one will probably get one eventually. Limited edition these days hardly means anything anymore, sadly. But it is a bummer that they don't reveal the true number available at a convention. Not really a scam I would say but it is deceptive. Nevertheless, I don't think I could ever wait that many hours overnight for a toy, or a shoe, or anything really. Conventions are killer with all the crowds. Kudos to you guys!

To wait and deal with all that crap when you think something is really worth waiting for only to find out you've been lied to by the seller would tick me off.

However, I don't think anyone who's been in this hobby for a few minutes would really think that Hot Toys would only release a limited quantity of anything.

You waited 6 hours and then gave your spot up? :thud:

Heh... knew it. Wanted to be there at 6am... couldn't be asked to sacrifice my hard earned sleep, so I took my time and dropped by mid-morning. I had ZERO expectations of getting Midas, and true enough they announced it was sold out by late morning. Wanted to try for Joe Colton, but seeing a few hundred people ahead of me, and how retardedly slow the counters were, I just went in and got my Soldier Story figures and then left. I'll take my chances on eBay. Just wasn't worth the trouble... and overnight queuing just for a repainted Mk 7? Too much...

All I have to say is, HT... I can't tell exactly what drives your decisions, but I thought the way you handled exclusives at last year's STGCC was better. Do a limited window pre-order at selected stores, show up at the con with the receipt, and redeem. Was it so difficult doing that again?

This is what happened yesterday at STGCC. It's been many weeks and I've been told SEVERAL TIMES at the various Action City branches abt the Convention Exclusive Hot Toys Mark. 21 MIDAS figure. The staff told me countless times how there would be only 800 pieces available and how RARE and EXCLUSIVE that this piece would be and that was all the allocation available in Singapore.

On friday night, we collectors worked together getting updates as the queue formed. We were supposed to meet up at 3am but by 11pm it was getting crowded. We made our way down and began queuing at 1230am. By 6am we were inside the building having successfully secured our slot. I met friends who had been waiting since 3pm the previous afternoon. We were approximately no. 770 in the line.

That's when the bull**** really began. We were told that to secure our orders , we had to fill out a form and except for quick meals and toilet breaks we could should not leave the hall.

At 8am, finally the cashiers were opened. FOR THE 800 PEOPLE IN THE QUEUE, THERE WERE ONLY 2 CASH REGISTERS

Then we found out , ANOTHER 800 POs were made available . WHAT LIMITED EDITION IS THIS? Delivery 1st quarter next year. I was told repeated that " only 800 pieces available and only at STGCC" . So what 800 POs was this? 1600 released in Singapore. THE CROWD IN THE HALL WAS CONVENIENTLY NOT TOLD OF THIS . STAFF WERE SEEN TELLING THE SOB STORY WHERE DUE TO A FIGHT THE PREVIOUS NIGHT, THEY HAD DECIDED TO RELEASE MORE. WHAT KIND OF REASONING IS THIS?

IF IT IS LIMITED EDITION AS YOU CLAIM ACTION CITY AND HOT TOYS,HOW CAN YOU JUST ORDER MORE AS YOU SEE FIT? YOU MISLED YOUR FANS.

By the time my friends had made payment for their figures, it was 2pm. THEY HAD BEEN WAITING 6 HOURS TO MAKE PAYMENT. People who got the PO were also ushered into the hall .

After last year's debacle where ONLY FANS WHO BUY HT EXCLUSIVES AT THE SHOW CAN MEET THE HOT TOYS PRODUCTION CREW, I really thought that things would improve. WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED THIS TIME?

HOT TOYS AND ACTION CITY. IF YOU WANT TO SELL SUCH LARGE QUANTITIES, YOU SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST HAD THE DECENCY TO ARRANGE PROPER LOGISTICAL SUPPORT.

ALSO HOW DARE YOU MISLEAD YOUR FANS. I AM UTTERLY DISGUSTED BY THIS.

THIS IS NOT HOW YOU RUN A BUSINESS.

And in case you're wondering, no I gave my MIDAS spot away to someone else.

are-you-crying-gif.gif

Pre-order before the show, then pick up probably would make more sense to me. I have no problem with them offering a larger quantity to collectors, though. That makes no difference to me at all.

I understand his frustration and I feel bad for it.

It also doesn't make sense for people to wait hour in line for an exclusive, say the silver cent. At HK when it became available to PO in other stores... Kinda makes you think why wait in line when you can sit at home and PO one lol.

Unfortunately HT is a business and much like any other businesses out there, there are hidden secrets about if an item is actually made limited or not.

Hell cause there's a sticker that says exclusive, many collectors want it and that's just how it is.

I didn't know HT released 800 at every convention for pick up... Or is this just at SG?

dont understand why they dont just number each piece, no matter what the numbers is, its going to give it a feel of more of a collectors piece.

600full.jpg

I thought this was about fake figures or maybe empty boxes... :horror something like that

I think I would be kind of mad if I had to do all that to get one (thinking its my only chance) and suddenly more will be available... but its no reason to get THAT mad its all ok, its a great figure and if people demand it.. :dunno after all that I'd get the figure anyway

Last edited:
Scam might be too strong of a word, but I understand your frustration. I've been in similar situations with "limited edition" toys before.

Back