Silver Dipping/Electroplating?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corrose

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all,

The above subject is something I know zero about but am trying to find out more.
I don't know if this is something that can be done, but basically I'm wanting to take resin copies of a 3D print I had made and dip/treat/coat the casts to have a true metal/shiny finish. These will be pieces like sword blades, etc. Can you even do this technique on resin or does the foundation have to be a treated metal to start with?

Does anyone have any basic info on how this is done, or does anyone here actually do that that I could send some business your way?

Thanks!

Resin can not be directly electroplated. It has to be coated with a copper treatment first. I know there are services out there but I have no connections.

I believe the plastic in question has first to be etched, then treated with a palladium salt to make it conductive, then you can electroplate on top. IIRC.

Is what I'm asking even the way to go about making plastic parts look like real metal? I'm open to other ideas that maybe I don't know about, just not interested in solutions with silver paints. Would like what I need to have done look really nice

AFAIK if you want a chromey look, you must use chrome (or other metal). "Silver" paint is just flakes of that metal in a medium. Plastic electroplating is the way to get what you want. Been meaning to have a go at it for ages...never got around to it. I'll bet whoever starts up a little factory for 1/6 could make a few $$$$$.

Back