Sideshow: Why do you use the wrong Harmonized Code?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

We do feel your pain and I'll be happy to bring this to the attention of the shipping team, BUT, last time we checked, the present code that we are using has been what has been suggested we use in order to guarantee packages are delivered without delay for all the countries around the world. You have to remember that we are shipping hundreds of packages a day to dozens of different countries besides the U.K. While your customs may be more lax, some are very strict and incorrect information on paperwork can result in additional fees.
But can't we just put use one code for the UK and one code for everyone else??? Unfortunately, like I said we're a business that ships hundreds of packages to dozens of countries a day. In order to remain efficient and get everyone's orders out to them as quickly as possible, I'm afraid using different codes for different countries just isn't in the cards at the moment.

Hi Mike, thank you for the reply. it's nice to know you are at least aware of our pains. With respect though, would it really be that much work to have a list of countries and the correct codes in your shipping department? As Racetrack pointed it out we have made it easier by starting a little club called the European Union where things are standardised. It may take a little longer which I can appreciate from a business point of view would be an inconvenience no doubt, but I guarantee it would be a great deal less work than it would take a normal hard working person like me to go out to work and earn the money for the 20" VAT on a $1000 collectable for example (almost a weeks wages). with prices getting higher and higher all the time we could all use a little breathing space, even if it causes the shipping to us to take a little longer, for the sake of saving 15% I doubt many of us would complain. The main thing I think about before ordering now is how much VAT will be and quite often it has prevented me buying from you. I imagine many others are in the same boat so that little extra effort from your shipping guys may actually be worth it in the long run and I'm pretty sure you'd see sales go up if the vat goes down.

One thing is certain, if you get our tax down to 5%, we would all appreciate it greatly.

All the best.

Hi Mike, thank you for the reply. it's nice to know you are at least aware of our pains. With respect though, would it really be that much work to have a list of countries and the correct codes in your shipping department? As Racetrack pointed it out we have made it easier by starting a little club called the European Union where things are standardised. It may take a little longer which I can appreciate from a business point of view would be an inconvenience no doubt, but I guarantee it would be a great deal less work than it would take a normal hard working person like me to go out to work and earn the money for the 20" VAT on a $1000 collectable for example (almost a weeks wages). with prices getting higher and higher all the time we could all use a little breathing space, even if it causes the shipping to us to take a little longer, for the sake of saving 15% I doubt many of us would complain. The main thing I think about before ordering now is how much VAT will be and quite often it has prevented me buying from you. I imagine many others are in the same boat so that little extra effort from your shipping guys may actually be worth it in the long run and I'm pretty sure you'd see sales go up if the vat goes down.

One thing is certain, if you get our tax down to 5%, we would all appreciate it greatly.

All the best.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Well put Matt :clap
I would be ordering a lot more direct for sure.
I order locally unless it's a must have Ex, which is quite rare. I'm pretty sure the extra profit margin in a direct order would more than cover a member of staff looking at destination and coding appropriately. I'm pretty sure it could be done automatically when printing out the invoice and shipoing label with a simple computer programme?

Racetrack- It is my understanding that we used to ship under that code or something similar. However, that is more for one off art pieces. Even though our items are NOT mass produced Barbie dolls they are done in small editions therefore putting them in a different category. We were corrected by our customs office and the code was updated to be compliant. If we continue to use the wrong code we could potentially be subject to fines as well as potential barring of rights to ship into areas. Bottom line is when the 'feds' tell you to change something, it's not a suggestion.

As Mike Tolentino our CS Manager stated, after the code updated Sideshow updated our ship rates and offer international collectors anywhere from 30%-50% off posted ship rates (depending on item). This means that you will get you package for a few bucks more than someone in New York. In addition, international collectors are sent an additional electronic savings code after their item ships. Hopefully, these changes will help off set import fees a bit.

Last edited:
Racetrack- It is my understanding that we used to ship under that code or something similar. However, that is more for one off art pieces. Even though our items are mass produced Barbie dolls they are done in small editions therefore putting them in a different category. We were corrected by our customs office and the code was updated to be compliant. If we continue to use the wrong code we could potentially be subject to fines as well as potential barring of rights to ship into areas. Bottom line is when the 'feds' tell you to change something, it's not a suggestion.

As Mike Tolentino our CS Manager stated, after the code updated Sideshow updated our ship rates and offer international collectors anywhere from 30%-50% off posted ship rates (depending on item). This means that you will get you package for a few bucks more than someone in New York. In addition, international collectors are sent an additional electronic savings code after their item ships. Hopefully, these changes will help off set import fees a bit.

Electronic saving code? Don't think i've ever got one and the chances are it will be worth less than the potential points :dunno
Thanks for taking the time to give the same response as everyone else from SS :wink1:

Electronic saving code? Don't think i've ever got one and the chances are it will be worth less than the potential points :dunno
Thanks for taking the time to give the same response as everyone else from SS :wink1:

I always get a $50 code Col :dunno

I always get a $50 code Col :dunno

Don't think I've ever had one? Aren't they only for use on in stock items anyway? That defeats the object really as I would only ever buy direct to get the EX which isn't likely to stay around long enough to ever be in stock.

Racetrack- It is my understanding that we used to ship under that code or something similar. However, that is more for one off art pieces. Even though our items are mass produced Barbie dolls they are done in small editions therefore putting them in a different category. We were corrected by our customs office and the code was updated to be compliant. If we continue to use the wrong code we could potentially be subject to fines as well as potential barring of rights to ship into areas. Bottom line is when the 'feds' tell you to change something, it's not a suggestion.

Thanks for the reply. I guess a change isn't going to happen but i just wanted to point to this different code below specifically for STATUES one last time :horse

https://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-c...970300/statue/9703.00.0000/9703.00.0000/2564/

Shipping on Sixth Scale is now $40, up from $25. I think that's slightly subsidized by you but nowhere near as getting it shipped to New York. I have gotten a $25 giftcode but it is limited in what you can used it for and how long you can have it. Points would be better :wink1:

But thanks for listening guys, like i said i do appreciate it. It's just a bit frustrating for us international collectors. Happy Spooktacular!

Thanks for the reply. I guess a change isn't going to happen but i just wanted to point to this different code below specifically for STATUES one last time :horse

https://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-c...970300/statue/9703.00.0000/9703.00.0000/2564/

Shipping on Sixth Scale is now $40, up from $25. I think that's slightly subsidized by you but nowhere near as getting it shipped to New York. I have gotten a $25 giftcode but it is limited in what you can used it for and how long you can have it. Points would be better :wink1:

But thanks for listening guys, like i said i do appreciate it. It's just a bit frustrating for us international collectors. Happy Spooktacular!

Yes this is a different code for statues. HOWEVER, It is my understanding although you are correct as the code definition includes the word 'statues' this references orginal, ONE of a kind- one off - works of art. (Original Art Work | sculptures & statuary. ) Ours are an edition, with multiple copies therefore fall in a different category.

We are having our shipping manager investigate yet again with our shipping and the customs office. We will get back to you shortly.

Yes this is a different code for statues. HOWEVER, It is my understanding although you are correct as the code definition includes the word 'statues' this references orginal, ONE of a kind- one off - works of art. (Original Art Work | sculptures & statuary. ) Ours are an edition, with multiple copies therefore fall in a different category.

We are having our shipping manager investigate yet again with our shipping and the customs office. We will get back to you shortly.

That would be really appreciated Chicky.

Message from Chicky...

Go tell your harmonized code friends that my Shipping manager confirmed with our shippers, customs and that other guy's mom- we are using the proper harmonized code for what it is we manufacture. EU customs spanked us. It's not about taking extra time in our shipping department to change codes and do paperwork, but thanks for making us sound lazy.

So if you live in UK take it up with the Queen. If you live in France take it up with the president if he's not busy with his model girlfriend/wife. If you're in Germany, their chick president's pretty tough- a girl after my own heart. By now you get what I'm saying right? Yes, it would be grand to get the stuff imported at 5% but your government, whom you voted for, says your gonna pay the correct rate. Cause not doing so is what's the word? ILLEGAL wabam!

This would be greatly appreciated, if 1:4 statues are going to be sold at such high pices ($1200 P2!?!) we will need all the help we can get to remain loyal sideshow customers. Saving 15% would mean a lot to a great many people if you can indeed help.

All the best.

This would be greatly appreciated, if 1:4 statues are going to be sold at such high pices ($1200 P2!?!) we will need all the help we can get to remain loyal sideshow customers. Saving 15% would mean a lot to a great many people if you can indeed help.

All the best.

Did you read her message I was forced, under false pretences, to post? :lol

Just got a response from Fedex and they blame Sideshow :cuckoo:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Invoice xxxxxxxxx. Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

By way of explanation, all goods entering the UK may be liable for import charges in accordance with HM Revenue & Customs regulations. FedEx’s terms and conditions are that the UK recipient will be invoiced for the UK Duty Tax charges unless the ‘Bill Shipper’ or ‘Bill 3rd Party’ options are selected on the International Air Waybill when requesting FedEx to ship the goods. As neither of these options were selected on this occasion, FedEx have invoiced you correctly.

We have checked your shippers website https://www.sideshowtoy.com/helpdesk/?p=95 which states that the VAT rate for these goods are at the standard VAT rate set for the UK.

We hope this answers your query and look forward to receiving payment shortly. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

So i have:

HMRC saying it's the wrong code
FedEX saying Sideshows website says it's the right code
Sideshow saying they can't mess with the "Feds"

:gah:

Maybe just accept that they're using the right code? The way they've explained it makes sense. 5% for one-of-a-kind art work and 20% for anything with a larger edition. You really can't compare factory paint work (though it technically may be applied by a person) with an artist making a one-of-a-kind piece. I'd say time to just accept that they've looked into it and have arrived at the correct answer. I live in Canada and pay similar duties for those items I cannot source locally (or if the exclusive is must have).

Back