Sideshow Store?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well how does the Hot Toys store work? You probably can go in and see the products in person and preorder them. It's opening up, albeit a small, market for people who have never heard of the online counterpart. Alot more people use real life then the internet. :horror If its effective, they can make larger edition sizes to meet demand. And hopefully, that could save everyone some cash. And it provides the fans like us an oppurtunity to go in and check out prototypes etc. just saying...

Let's compare the rent for a boutique in Kowloon and one in Time's Square. Who do you think is gonna be more expensive? Additionally, I notice you didn't say you were gonna buy anything. I don't see the difference in that and perusing your local comic book store and happening upon Sideshow products there as they also carry SW items and Marvel PF's, LSBs, busts, etc. Opening up a retail location only to refer people to their website for a Pre-Order would be a HUGE fail. Offering stores a discount rate to carry their products is considerably cheaper for them. Again, if attending the conventions wasn't working, I don't see how this would be an improvement.

There is one potential incentive of having a store that would be hard to dispute--these things tend to look better in person than they do on a computer screen.

Similar to buying antiques, if someone sees one in person they might be more inclined to buy it than if they see some pictures. I don't think tourists would buy anything except, maybe, some 1/6 scale figures. I also don't know if the amount sold could be expected to justify a brick and mortar in a major city as suggested, given the ridiculous rent prices.

So, on the whole, I agree that their existing business model seems to be working, but I can also imagine that they would move some product by having a store that they wouldn't if they didn't (assuming that they produced enough product not to get sold out before released).

However, comic shops displaying a small handful of Sideshow pieces probably serve this purpose for the most part.

Some complete ********* ripped off Thor's (hammer or helm?) and the exclusive glowing Samaritan bullets from their display booth.

1) Bespin Luke, ET Buffy and hockey mask key chains won't pay the bills. High-end item sales would be detrimental to cover brick & mortar costs.

2) Good for you. That makes you dumb. You'd be jumped, raped, beaten, ripped off and killed (It's NY, so not necessarily in that order :p) before you even hit the bridge.

3) Because last time I checked, taxis cannot drive you cross country for cheaper than USPS shipping rates nor can they fly across the Atlantic!

4) Look up the term "newb" and learn from this. ;)

-you chose the least expensive items in Sideshow's inventory, showing the EXTREME's of your arguments. How about Dioramas of PF, that would be a reasonable example.

- Not everyone is affraid of NYC :lol

-What if Sideshow offered shipping outta the Factory Store? That would shoot your argument to (you know what) but for the LOCAL peopple who aren't affraid of a big city :rotfl could benefit from this store.

"NEWB" actually i'm quite old fashioned, I enjoy going into shops communicating with people seeing an item, and making a purchase. GOOD OLD FASHIONED TRANSACTION, You should try it sometime, the only problem is it invloves Interpersonal Skills!

Everything online is "EASY" next day shipping, if its damaged send an email and the will reply in a couple of days. THIS IS NOT how I like to do businesss. I'd much rather deal with a person in-the-flesh.

I don't expect you to ever approve of the store ... it doesn't give people like you the option to Hide Behind Your Keyboard. :naughty

-you chose the least expensive items in Sideshow's inventory, showing the EXTREME's of your arguments. How about Dioramas of PF, that would be a reasonable example.

You ever seen the boxes for those? They ain't small. ;)

- Not everyone is affraid of NYC :lol

That's true. A great majority of the population have IQs below average. But consider that you'd have to walk down shady neighborhoods with a very appealing collectible in a place where people get murdered and nobody stops, let alone take the time out to give an eye-witness statement.

-What if Sideshow offered shipping outta the Factory Store? That would shoot your argument to (you know what) but for the LOCAL peopple who aren't affraid of a big city :rotfl could benefit from this store.

Again, if going to the cons didn't generate enough interest, which has always been part of my argument, how would this differ? Relying on walk-ins over guaranteed genre fans is moronic.

"NEWB" actually i'm quite old fashioned, I enjoy going into shops communicating with people seeing an item, and making a purchase. GOOD OLD FASHIONED TRANSACTION, You should try it sometime, the only problem is it invloves Interpersonal Skills!

See my first reply. You have no idea of the box sizes for the products you're talking about and consider the quality of cheap plastic toys on par, if not better, than high-end collectibles. That = newb.

Everything online is "EASY" next day shipping, if its damaged send an email and the will reply in a couple of days. THIS IS NOT how I like to do businesss. I'd much rather deal with a person in-the-flesh.

In today's business world, spending more to make less is a poor business plan. To get tourists, you need to be in a location they're going to visit. That means high rent for high visibility. I doubt any products they would move as a result would cover the expenses of a retail location. Plus, again, we're back to the "getting the product home" issue.

I don't expect you to ever approve of the store ... it doesn't give people like you the option to Hide Behind Your Keyboard. :naughty

I would be thrilled with the idea of a store. I just understand business (pssst - I run one), and know that it's a poor decision on Sideshow's part to open a retail location. Spin around the board and look at how many people, prime customer base, are canceling their SS orders. With the inability to rely on their key market for sales, it would be absurd to spend more for a retail location in hopes that a few customers would walk in and pick up some Star Wars figures here and there. Plus you've ignored the product loss from breakage, theft, etc., which would cost them even more money.

Oh, and no need to hide behind my keyboard. I find it funny that when I confront ^^^^ talkers face-to-face, they lie, stutter, etc., and try to turn things into a joke to prevent thorough ass-beatings. I'm actually a lot nicer here behind my keyboard. ;)

You guys are hilarious. I love SSC, in fact I'm wearing my Spook sweater while posting this but Sideshow products are a nitch market.

They appeal to a small percentage of the global buying community, not to mention that while they are spreading and getting their name out there a brick and mortar is going one step in the wrong direction. I've been to stores that carry a lot of Sideshow, there is a shop near the Metreon that carries a ton of it, you can find figures both older and new for full MSRP sometimes higher because they know the eBay values of them and they rot the shelves.

You can't compare the Asian cultures or the Hot Toys brick and mortar of Toy Hunters because the mentality on collecting and the fandom are different. Not to mention that Toy Hunters stocks SSC as well. As much as we love SSC, I guarantee you that if they opened multiple stores the company would take massive hits. Not to mention they'd be splitting edition sizes between online orders and in person possibilities because you don't want the crap you didn't sell on your shelves so the opportunity for some to get them online would be smaller. It'd be neat to have a store in the town that SSC itself is located similar to Toy Hunters but it doesn't make business sense.

Right now they operate out of offices and a warehouse which means stuff comes in and out and it saves the cost, you don't think the operations of actual Sideshow stores would be tacked on to the overall cost of the product especially if/when those stores are not being as successful as they'd need to be?

Nam,

I have Sideshow PF's, Sideshow 1:1 busts, Sideshow dioramas and yes the Jason keychain. So please don't preach to the Pope. I could easily carry me SWS Pred 1:1 bust through NYC without problems, yes, big box.

What's moronic is your "CLASSIFICATION" of forum members that have fewer posts that you is just hysterical.

The only people who stutter when confronted by "Nam" are people with speech impediments.

Nam,

I have Sideshow PF's, Sideshow 1:1 busts, Sideshow dioramas and yes the Jason keychain. So please don't preach to the Pope. I could easily carry me SWS Pred 1:1 bust through NYC without problems, yes, big box.

What's moronic is your "CLASSIFICATION" of forum members that have fewer posts that you is just hysterical.

The only people who stutter when confronted by "Nam" are people with speech impediments.

Talk is cheaper than a Ukrainian crack whore. I'll preach the pope because in this case you don't have a ^^^^ing clue what you're talking about. Run a business, take your own advice, and then we'll talk on common ground. It has nothing to do with your post count or lack thereof and everything to do with the blatant idiocy of your post content.

Post Content, common ground, please. More like meet on the play ground.

I'm DONE.

Sideshow Store would be cool.

Kids - play nice.

I've been pitching a Sideshow store for a long time now, but I think it should be more of a showcase, maybe people could pickup stuff on release day, but it would be where everyone could come and see samples of the products, pre-order them and maybe see past stuff. There would only need be one or 2 of them. Hollywood & Highland would be a good location (and I could run the store of course).

If they opened any "stores" or "showcases" that would be a lot of additional overhead (rent, utilities, employees) to pay for...who do you think would be paying for that? Prices would increase on all their products across the board. I don't think that would make anyone very happy.

If they opened any "stores" or "showcases" that would be a lot of additional overhead (rent, utilities, employees) to pay for...who do you think would be paying for that? Prices would increase on all their products across the board. I don't think that would make anyone very happy.

'course not. But it'd give them something else to ^^^^^ about. :lol

Guys - Sideshow products are sold at retail comic book store across the country. Now, I know that not every comic book store carries their stuff so you might have to drive a bit. For example, I've had customers drive 1.5 hours to come to Alter Ego Comics to browse/pick up Sideshow products.

I thought that Sideshow had a brick and mortar retailer directory on their site, but I just checked and couldn't find anything. I'll make sure to suggest that to them.

Do some digging and you might find that Sideshow has a brick and mortar presence closer than you think.

Guys - Sideshow products are sold at retail comic book store across the country. Now, I know that not every comic book store carries their stuff so you might have to drive a bit. For example, I've had customers drive 1.5 hours to come to Alter Ego Comics to browse/pick up Sideshow products.

I thought that Sideshow had a brick and mortar retailer directory on their site, but I just checked and couldn't find anything. I'll make sure to suggest that to them.

Do some digging and you might find that Sideshow has a brick and mortar presence closer than you think.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Quoted for truth!

Hey Bearmodel, you're in Arizona right? Toy Anxiety sells SSC stuff and you can pre-order from them too. Just sayin'. :dunno

Hey Bearmodel, you're in Arizona right? Toy Anxiety sells SSC stuff and you can pre-order from them too. Just sayin'. :dunno

Hi!

I've been to Toy Anxiety and they have LOTR stuff, I saw a JP dio and a Leonidas PF too, but mainly they sell I believe Star Wars merchandise including PFs and Dios by Sideshow as well as statues.

I love that store but when i mentioned a Sideshow Store, I was thinking about seeing things like prototypes, exclusive pieces and hard to find items. I know about the overhead and the costs involved with having a store, which makes this not such a good idea after all, but I just thought it would be cool to see things up close and personal.

Hi!

I've been to Toy Anxiety and they have LOTR stuff, I saw a JP dio and a Leonidas PF too, but mainly they sell I believe Star Wars merchandise including PFs and Dios by Sideshow as well as statues.

I love that store but when i mentioned a Sideshow Store, I was thinking about seeing things like prototypes, exclusive pieces and hard to find items. I know about the overhead and the costs involved with having a store, which makes this not such a good idea after all, but I just thought it would be cool to see things up close and personal.

Ah, I see. Well the closest thing you can get to what you're looking for is the San Diego Comic Con. Hell if you can get into the Freaks Party you can even hang with the SSC crew!

Back