Sideshow sent me a used Hot Toys figure...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Wayne

Super Freak
Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem before with SSC?

I received an order last week and finally had the chance to check it out but immediately noticed that SSC didn?t pack it in the standard HT brown shipper. It was a regular box with a barcode on the side along with the name of the figure. Upon opening it I noticed the figure had spots of lint and was missing all the plastic protection that normally wraps the head and legs, the base was somewhat scratched, and the name plate was missing the clear plastic sticker that normally covers it. Also some of the stickers in the clear clamshell were placed in odd positions when normally they seal the clamshell together.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so can you please offer some advice over how I should take this up with them?

Thanks in advance

Never experienced that myself, but I'm pretty sure others on here have.

Personally, I'd open a ticket with SSC expressing my unhappiness (being assertive but remaining polite) and explore available options (partial refund, exchange etc.).

I received an order last week and finally had the chance to check it out but immediately noticed that SSC didn?t pack it in the standard HT brown shipper. It was a regular box with a barcode on the side along with the name of the figure. Upon opening it I noticed the figure had spots of lint and was missing all the plastic protection that normally wraps the head and legs, the base was somewhat scratched, and the name plate was missing the clear plastic sticker that normally covers it. Also some of the stickers in the clear clamshell were placed in odd positions when normally they seal the clamshell together.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so can you please offer some advice over how I should take this up with them?

Thanks in advance

I've read complaints about re-sold statues - where it's easier to know re being numbered. Sometimes peeps even recognize stuff they returned from the damage. Suggest pics and asking for exchange ASAP. Be nice if u got offered a coupon, too - u could ask.

Thanks in advance

Got the same issue this week buddy. Brown shipper was re-taped, plastic bag protecting the art box was opened, feet were missing the protective plastic wraps, art box was badly damaged, etc. etc. etc.

Waiting to hear back from them now. I suggest you reach out to them with photos asap. I've bought over 100 Hot Toys from Sideshow and this is my first time experiencing a problem like this. It's unfortunate that they are willing to sell open-box items as "NEW".

Ive heard it happening before. just send it back it shoudnt be a problem

I've read complaints about re-sold statues - where it's easier to know re being numbered. Sometimes peeps even recognize stuff they returned from the damage. Suggest pics and asking for exchange ASAP. Be nice if u got offered a coupon, too - u could ask.

A... coupon? **** that. Get them to switch it out-- have them pay for return shipping, or have them give you at least a 50% refund if they are unable to provide a new figure. if they don't do anything to make it up to you go nuclear, let them know that you're gonna file a claim with your card. **** getting a used figure advertised as new. ESPECIALLY from the official distributor in the US.

Shame they don?t sell these returned/used figures discounted. Hell even some with minor blemishes I?m sure some would buy at a nice discount. Better than destroying the figures.

Well when you consider that people have 30 days to return their statues/figures no questions asked which SSC will then mark as back in stock there are no doubt countless figures that have been sent out to buyers as new that were previously opened by someone else. I figure it's the nature of the beast especially if you're getting an item off the wait list.

The only time that becomes a problem IMO is when someone returns a defective item and then they sneakily just pass it on to someone else without first fixing the issue.

Sideshow has been getting materially worse and worse over the past few years. Takes close to a month to get a replacement these days rofl.

I had this problem with a EX Keaton Batman PF. Came in just a regular shipping box, paint ships in the cowl, mangled tape wrapping the styrofoam borders together, the cape missing the attachment pieces, paint chips all on in the socket where the cowl inserted into the body let alone that the cowl was also defective (which is probably why it was returned) b/cut didn’t fit the body properly. I returned it and got a full refund but I was seriously floored by how SS could just repackaged it without even looking at it prior to shipping it out especially when it had the QC sticker on the insert. I don’t buy from SSC very much anymore b/c of that incident and having to exchange 3 MoS PFs that all had horrible QC. It just puts a bad taste in your mouth and dampens the joy imo.

A... coupon? **** that. Get them to switch it out-- have them pay for return shipping, or have them give you at least a 50% refund if they are unable to provide a new figure. if they don't do anything to make it up to you go nuclear, let them know that you're gonna file a claim with your card. **** getting a used figure advertised as new. ESPECIALLY from the official distributor in the US.

You have serious problems. They are better off refunding your money and closing your account the putting your name on the blocked list.

you wouldn't be saying the same thing if you had received 2 repackaged, returned Mark 42s passed off as new from sideshow. and their CS blatantly insists they never ship out returned items. and this is still happening today. impressive

You have serious problems. They are better off refunding your money and closing your account the putting your name on the blocked list.

you wouldn't be saying the same thing if you had received 2 repackaged, returned Mark 42s passed off as new from sideshow. and their CS blatantly insists they never ship out returned items. and this is still happening today. impressive

I would return them without the over the top reaction and threats. As long as sideshow allows returns then someone down the line will receive the returned items. Are they supposed to lose money selling the returned figures as used? That would force them to increase the price for these figures to cover those losses. I see the same thing with camera equipment. People love "buying" multiple items to pick out the best copy and return the rest then complain that companies should never sell returns as new. Makes no sense. Now if something it legit defective then it's a different story but even then a return without the nerd rage threats would be the way to go.

Yeah, I gotta disagree. The Green Goblin is spot on if you ask me and I guarantee you'd be feeling the same if this happened to you. Approach the problem with niceties, yeah fine. But if they refuse to replace the item ASAP then you're well within your right as a consumer to feel angry.

sure, not that anyone is against buying returned items, but if SS had shipped out returned/refurbished items and made known to customers before doing so, i believe there are willing buyers too, for some discount. spooktacular discounts , 12 days of xmas, whatever

the problem and truth is, some unlucky customers are getting returned items without prior knowledge. trying asking their CS via chat/email and see the response is. don't take our word for it.

I would return them without the over the top reaction and threats. As long as sideshow allows returns then someone down the line will receive the returned items. Are they supposed to lose money selling the returned figures as used? That would force them to increase the price for these figures to cover those losses. I see the same thing with camera equipment. People love "buying" multiple items to pick out the best copy and return the rest then complain that companies should never sell returns as new. Makes no sense. Now if something it legit defective then it's a different story but even then a return without the nerd rage threats would be the way to go.

I like how the OP hasn’t responded since lol. Depends on the item. If it’s been sold out for a while or WL and it’s used I’ll take it for SRP. If it’s in stock or PO still, a new one is a given.

Just sent an email out and now I’m waiting for a response from them. It’s a newer figure that came out over the summer. And it is still in stock on Sideshow so they’ve got to have plenty of new stock to take care of me.

Point is it’s not brand new and there are signs of wear and missing parts. And if Sideshow plans to sell refurbished figures, we have a right to know. Especially as this was a figure I preordered. I can somewhat understand if it was something that’s been out of stock previously or waitlisted but that isn’t the case.

After further inspecting it, I discovered the batteries were already put inside the figure, it had missing parts, albeit minor parts from the base that I have on hand, but still. This could have easily been avoided had they bothered to check. Or who knows what the hell happened with this? Maybe they’d give me some canned excuse that washes their hands of any responsibility for checking the figures, but the least they can do is work out an exchange for me.

Thanks again guys.

Back