1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a few more Jundland stand toppers in case anybody would like one.

36D2C94F-7527-4618-82B1-9881A0BF4ADD.jpeg

6A9548B4-4B42-4DF7-A6D4-1F3916775086.jpeg

Whelp, I broke down and bought it after seeing it at my local collectible retailer. Absolutely gorgeous. Not to beat a dead horse, but if it’s any question, oh boy yeah it’s worth the purchase.

What is this version of the character from? He looks like he’s exploring, but if he’s doing that, who’s making sure Luke is safe?

Maybe he’s looking for his hut? But I’d think he would use a pack animal or transport of some kind to get there.

And why is he carrying so much gear that outs him as a Jedi?

I think this falls into the “It looks cool, so who cares if it makes sense” category.

Bummer the shoulder/chest armor doesn’t fit, I really wanted to use it for a custom.

See post #113. It doesn't answer all the questions but it explains the thought behind him.

Why does this figure and certain other figures/statues have a cancer warning?

"Warning: Cancer and reproductive harm. For exposures to both listed carcinogens and reproductive toxicants."

If this is because of the plastic/paint then why doesn't ever figure have a similar warning? I noticed the warning for this and for the R1 Vader premium format statue and was pretty alarmed.

Why does this figure and certain other figures/statues have a cancer warning?

"Warning: Cancer and reproductive harm. For exposures to both listed carcinogens and reproductive toxicants."

If this is because of the plastic/paint then why doesn't ever figure have a similar warning? I noticed the warning for this and for the R1 Vader premium format statue and was pretty alarmed.

Because California is silly.

https://www.businessinsider.com/california-cancer-warnings-coffee-2018-4

Best Quote:

"We now have so many warnings unrelated to the actual health risk posed to consumers that most people just ignore them," Democratic Rep. Kurt Schrader of Oregon said in a release this month blasting the new coffee warnings, adding: "When we have mandatory cancer warnings on a cup of coffee, something has gone seriously wrong with the process."

LMFAO

Hell hath frozen over!

Oh! A young fresh harasser!
Could you please elaborate on those well argumented, intellectually dense statements of yours?

See post #113. It doesn't answer all the questions but it explains the thought behind him.
Here is the story to go with this. Sorry for the not so great pictures.

9dc78901dbf585c12f5ea291f9d80d15.jpg
be0c96dc3b41325730254a80ac3af9d9.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that , Mr Darth Madded. Should I assume this text is included with the Mythos statue? Damn well written it is.

What is this version of the character from? He looks like he’s exploring, but if he’s doing that, who’s making sure Luke is safe? Maybe he’s looking for his hut? But I’d think he would use a pack animal or transport of some kind to get there. And why is he carrying so much gear that outs him as a Jedi? I think this falls into the “It looks cool, so who cares if it makes sense” category. Bummer the shoulder/chest armor doesn’t fit, I really wanted to use it for a custom. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had these same mental questions, especially the "why is he carrying gear that outs him as a Jedi" as he goes into hiding right after order 66. The figure really makes no sense at all. But it's so damn cool looking it gets a pass, and I want one in my collection anyway lol

The moment you start thinking and scratching on the surface of any contemporary Hollywood fantasy work, it starts crumbling down to nothing... Anyways: even with the text contributed by Darth Madden, I have also tried for more than an hour to make sense of this fig and I also can't... OK, I'll try again. Here are my 2 cents: Obi had a personal ship, which he used to get to Tatooine and deliver the baby. He exchanged the ship for a speeder (you just can't protect anybody effectively if you can't get anywhere quickly, even if you are a Master Jedi), food, and whatnot. With the speeder he scouted the areas around the plains where the Lars homestead was located, found a not-too-far-removed mountain range "across the Dune Sea" from which he could preemptively check daily on any activity in the farm (those extremely powerful, state of the art electrobinos will REALLY come in handy), and after hiding the speeder in some safe place, he had to scout the mountain range for some place where he could settle down. There, he built some "shelter" that would sort-of be difficult to spot from either the surface or from above (even if what is seen in ANH is not really that camouflaged), chatted with Qui Gon from time to time to remain sane and so forth, and when he got too old for that **** and Luke was more capable of managing himself, he got rid of this speeder and finally became I-own-no-car ANH Ben, concentrating in preemptively scaring away Tusken Raiders from time to time and keeping tabs on imperial activity in the vicinity.

SO: the Mythos statue could only happen when poor Obi is hauling stuff (supplies, mementos, some uncivilized weapons, 2 extra lighsabers and their precious kyber crystals... the usual ****) from the speeder to the first iteration of his shelter, which he just build. That might have been quite a chore, hence the roadwornness. The speeder couln't make it on top of the mountain range, hence Obi is still stepping on sand. But.... al that dark/gray hair!?!? Wasn't Obi supposed to be still young and blond a few weeks back, as he delivered the baby?? And if the Mythos statue actually happens many years after Obi settling down on Tatooine, why would he be carrying all that basic stuff? Did he move? The shelter we saw in ANH seemed to clearly have been there for quite a long time, right? I guess he had to get on the run once because he screwed badly during an encounter with that imperial LRRP... but, without the speeder?? Through the Dune Sea?? When he was 50-something?? OMG!!

I agree that the beauty and narrative power of the Mythos statue makes one forget about how it fits in the lore, but I think no more nonsense should be added to the huge pile of nonsense SW already is.

just the idea of him keeping Qui Gon's saber is wrong according to the Jedi code, but at the end of the day he is human and has those attachments.

Wrong? I can't remember that part of the prequels where the Jedi code is described, and I am not into the EU. Can you further explain?

To me the included sculpt has almost no McGregor resemblance. A shame that two sculpts were not included with this figure like with the statue. Would have justified the relatively high price.
As Isaac Hayes would put it: you are daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn right.

I can definitely confirm that the armor will not ever fit on the figure now. There’s no way you’ll ever get a neck through that tiny warped hole. This doesnt bother me, but just thought id mention it as I know a few folks want to customize a CW Kenobi.

:-(
So tiny is it? How come warped?
Can't it be dremelled and made bigger without looking awful?

The only complaint I could have is maybe how SSC packed the figure. His backpack is crammed in underneath the figure and if its off in any way, pressure ends up being applied to the weapons and such. One of my gaffi sticks is slightly bent at the end, and Im way too afraid to try and straighten it out lol

With hot air and lots of care, you would certainly fix it.

Thanks for the pics, Pizza.

m.

Yes, that is the Mythos statue text. All 5 of them have a story about the figure. Maybe they should have included it with the 1/6 as well. Plus the Obi Mythos statue has a young Ewan head sculpt so the story makes a little more sense too.

:-(
So tiny is it? How come warped?
Can't it be dremelled and made bigger without looking awful?

With hot air and lots of care, you would certainly fix it.

The armor is kinda flattened a bit if that makes sense, making the hole more of a stretched/thinner oval shape. I would snap a pic for ya, but I wont be home until late tonight. Maybe I'll try to get one tomorrow to show you what I'm talking about.

for the slightly bent gaffi stick, I'm just going to leave well enough alone. I've found that messing with the smaller parts like ends of weapons is pretty risky unless you're very experienced in this stuff (which I'm not lol).

Yes, that is the Mythos statue text. All 5 of them have a story about the figure. Maybe they should have included it with the 1/6 as well. Plus the Obi Mythos statue has a young Ewan head sculpt so the story makes a little more sense too.

Pics stored.
Thanks buddy.

The armor is kinda flattened a bit if that makes sense, making the hole more of a stretched/thinner oval shape. I would snap a pic for ya, but I wont be home until late tonight. Maybe I'll try to get one tomorrow to show you what I'm talking about.

If you do take the pics, you will break my heart, but I'll thank you.
I bought this guy AND a 2nd backpack from TA thinking the armour would be usable.... :-((((((

EDIT: I am watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQttAEg4tv0 , and I think I understand what you mean with flattened. It has been compressed in the front-to-rear direction to really grasp well the backpack. Anyway, the armour piece looks pretty much in scale if you keep an eye on, and compare with the figure itself (placed on the desktop, on the background). I am wondering if, as I said before, with hot air and lots of care, the damned thing could be deformed into some usable state....

But if the hole for the neck is that tiny... :-(
If you fast forward to EXACTLY here https://youtu.be/JQttAEg4tv0?t=248 , clearly the neck hole is big enough (almost too much) on the side-to-side direction (look at the threads that attach the shoulder pieces to the torso piece).

Another fleeting peek at the neck hole: https://youtu.be/JQttAEg4tv0?t=268
Damn... That's actually big, Reefer Shark! You sure it can't be used?

m.

Got mine recently and despite the slight warping of the rifle and gaffi stick its shot to one of my favourite figures... His shelf. Presennce and look just tells a story and the backpack cries for a mirror background.
LRM_EXPORT_154279469890520_20190102_121635047.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_154434895489454_20190102_122841185.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_167460952588508_20190102_195200858.jpeg

Great shots. Just got this myself...haven't had the chance to get any pics yet.
It's my figure of the year. After all the hand-wringing and carping, I expected the worst. Never more glad to be mistaken.

Your shots show how awesome it us. I can't wait to get him in the desert for some pics...keep pisting, please!

Last edited:
I picked one up too and overall it's a nice figure that displays well and is a lot of fun to play around with. Unfortunately there seems to be a universal problem with the warped pack items. The neck seam is particularly unsightly on this one but it can be mostly concealed with the goggles and hood. The paint apps are passable, especially with the hood up but not Hot Toys level. There is also an unfortunate seam line underneath the beard that is not visible unless looking up at the figure. Really a shame a second McGregor sculpt is not included.

The rest of the figure is really quite good. The beard and hair are particularly nicely painted. I think this is the nicest hair sculpt I have ever seen Sideshow do. The body has tight joints too which has always been a problem. The weathering is decent but could be taken further if desired. Pack is very well executed. It's a really fun take on Tattooine Ben Kenobi and I'm glad I reconsidered picking this up.

For those that have warped parts, just run them under a hot tap or hair dryer. It will soften and then you can straighten it out. Then run it under the cold to keep it straight.

Got mine recently and despite the slight warping of the rifle and gaffi stick its shot to one of my favourite figures... His shelf. Presennce and look just tells a story and the backpack cries for a mirror background.
View attachment 438684

View attachment 438685
Thanks for
View attachment 438686

Thanks for the pics. Isn't the head sitting too high?

I picked one up too and overall it's a nice figure that displays well and is a lot of fun to play around with. Unfortunately there seems to be a universal problem with the warped pack items. The neck seam is particularly unsightly on this one but it can be mostly concealed with the goggles and hood. The paint apps are passable, especially with the hood up but not Hot Toys level. There is also an unfortunate seam line underneath the beard that is not visible unless looking up at the figure. Really a shame a second McGregor sculpt is not included.

The rest of the figure is really quite good. The beard and hair are particularly nicely painted. I think this is the nicest hair sculpt I have ever seen Sideshow do. The body has tight joints too which has always been a problem. The weathering is decent but could be taken further if desired. Pack is very well executed. It's a really fun take on Tattooine Ben Kenobi and I'm glad I reconsidered picking this up.

Thanks for your insight buddy. Is the head's flesh color very different from that of the neck? If it is not, why is the seam so noticeable?

Back