1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I received mine last night, and I have to say holy crap! I had my reservations about this guy after seeing some of the more questionable pictures, but in my opinion, all my fears were unfounded. This guy is completely worth every cent.

Here are two pictures, although note that I'm a terrible photographer and this display IMO looks a hundred times better than what I can capture with my cell phone camera:

EAePETp.jpg

B6RIvvT.jpg

I personally think the sculpt is shockingly good, especially compared to what some pictures would have you think. From some angles, he's a dead ringer for Ewan McGregor, and from others, a young Guinness. Granted it has more of a softer likness than some of the hyper realistic HT portraits, but I guess that's the difference between having a direct image to draw from, and using creative license to recreate someone that never existed. But fear not, I can safely say while it has the tendency to almost look mildly cartoonish figures, it certainly doesn't look like an early 2000's sixth scale, dead-looking portrait that I had feared.

And the weathering? My god... In my opinion, he's easily the most impressive figure in my collection of recent HT releases. Vonhahn summarized it perfectly when he described it as felt-ish for the outer robe and gummy skin, but I'm not sure that's bad. Just different from what I'm used to. I mean, as a result, Obi-Wan's clothes fall in the kind of natural way that I wished Chirrut and Ep 7 Luke's robes would. Makes it much more dramatic and proportional in how it flows as opposed to the latter two's stiff fabrics. That's to speak nothing of the natural holes and jagged edges... It's quite a sight to behold!

When comparing the Anakin saber hilt to HT's Ep 3 Anakin's saber, you can tell that the material is again different. But it works so beautifully because of how aged it looks. Which is amazing, this attention to detail, when you consider that that's such a minute detail that isn't even central to this figure!

I was also quite frankly surprised at how easily poseable this guy is, with nice firm joints that allowed for some dramatic, free-standing poses. I also might be wrong, but I noticed that his mid-torso was able to be adjusted, satisfying 'clicking' into place for a shoulder learn, which is something I never really noticed with my HT figures.

With all that said, I will admit that I am surprised his arms are pretty limited with their range of motion. He wasn't able to cross his arms to hold a lightsaber two handed, or even hold both arms in front of him Frankenstein-style for that matter. But considering that the Anakin figure I have suffers from this same problem as well, I'm just going to assume that it might be the fabrics or undersuit getting wedged underneath that might be the problem, and I'm too much of a wimp to take their clothes off for fear that I wouldn't be able to make it look as good again when reassembled.

Frankly, I was pretty hesitant with this figure once the production pictures started popping up, but frankly, I've not been this impressed with a figure since my first HT purchase!

P.s. Asgardianboy, I can't really speak to some of the questions you posed since I'm hesitant in even simple mods with my figures, but I can say that the rifle comes separate from the backpack. So do the lightsabers, and it took a little bit of patience to get them attached. Obi comes with a 'gun-holding' hand which looks like it fits the rifle, and the scale (to me) seems fairly accurate.

Yes, except the people who have positive opinions have the figure in hand and those who have negative opinions don't. I'm getting mine today and will let you all know what my opinion of the figure is after seeing it in person.

Hahahaha that is so true! Looking forward to read your review! :)

It looked like the wrist joints were pretty ugly in some of the older photos I've seen, but the gloves/sleeves cover them up okay?

I got mine, but the backpack is damaged, and the saber blade has a big crack in the cast. I think I'll hold off on my review until I see how Sideshow handles the situation.

It looked like the wrist joints were pretty ugly in some of the older photos I've seen, but the gloves/sleeves cover them up okay?

Sleeves on mine are plenty long, the joints aren't visible.

Looks like a super cool figure to me! If I wasn't forced to be so selective on the 1/6 figures I get, I would buy this one without hesitation.

I'm thinking the negative reviews are definitely a bit pre-mature on this one and I'm willing to bet this will be a highly sought after figure eventually.

There was a time I would have jumped on this figure but they’ve gotten so damn expensive I have to be much more selective. I hate that. My collection would be much more diverse if they were $150 or so. Oh well. To those who are getting this figure, enjoy it!

Last edited:
You're pretty happy with the figure, though, busted bits aside?

Something interesting that I noticed, the boots are not one piece. It's more like a shoe and a separate top layer. Just think of the upper ankle half of the boot as a separate piece, which kind of resembles the bracers on the HT Anakin figure in that it's loose and slides up and down. Personally, I think it's a great idea, as it allows for a lot more dynamic poses that I struggle with on some of my other figures that do have one piece boots. That, and I also like posing them in pretty dynamic poses, and I wonder how that will affect the longevity of the boot material. Which, fortunately is not a problem with this figure.

Another small point, I noticed that the lightsaber blade is pretty roughly cast with a jagged texture closer to the hilt, at least on mine. It's also a much darker shade than what HT uses, and a lot less translucent. Think of it more like the old dark blue Force ghost toys in terms of material. Personally, I like this color better, but I do think the material and casting technique could be better.

No burden at all.
Not expecting you to cater to anything at all.
I won't mutilate, I will improve.
m.
To each thier own. If this figure (or my pictures of it) dont live up to your standards...that's a burden you have to live with, not me. I posted my opinion as a PSA. Take or leave it as you will but as to your questions...sorry I'm not interested in catering to your expectations. You can mutilate your own figure when you get it as you see fit and I genuinely wish you good luck getting it up to snuff enough to make you happy.

Back