Sideshow!!! IS THIS TRUE???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Sideshow!!! IS THIS TRUE???

Also, I must not have any pull with sideshow on movie and TV show figures as my requested emails for a Twiligtht Zone Rod Serling have yet to be fullfilled.

I would also like to point out that I have every intention of keeping my original movie apes. They are good figures with the exception of some loss of detail from that dreaded rotocast disaster. It is just that while the original Planet of the Apes movie is my number 1 film of all time, I consider it 500 times better than all of the sequels and tv series. I have still yet to purchase the other movies eventhough I currently own about 5000 dvd's. I may still have to pick up the General Ursus. I was not impressed enough by the review to ever get the regular gorilla.

I don't know as with historic figures Sideshow can take a chance when they are talking about only making one figure.

But....they did redo Custer. And I thought that the reason behind it was they weren't satisfied with the original. If it can happen for him, they should take a look at the rest of the lines.

Anyway the entire historic figure line is pretty much dead in the water at this point

And it joins a growing list of a lot of our favorites.

Also, I must not have any pull with sideshow on movie and TV show figures as my requested emails for a Twiligtht Zone Rod Serling have yet to be fullfilled.

I, too, as well as many others, have asked for this figure. If it is a licensing issue [as seems to be a good excuse/reason] then why not just say so? I have to be somewhat hesitant on them using that as why figures aren't made or don't look right. I don't want to keep dragging Brent up, but as the reason behind his sculpt changed from first story to last, I have to be rather skeptical of the honesty behind it.

However, with the Planet of the Ape line, if they start on one character from the TV series, they are more than likely committed to 5 or more figures from it.

I see your point, but don't know that it must be so. We all thought that we would see at least one ape from each film..and that was not to be. Ursus was the only ape from Beneath, although we did get another Taylor, 2 Brents and some mutants. Escape came in with no offerings, Conquest gave us only Caesar {which looked, until recently, like we were going to get the shaft on the sculpt} and Battle also left us high and dry. I see no reason that they can't make a 2-pack of Burke & Virdon and perhaps another of Urko & Zaius. Galen should get his own sole figure with new sculpt IMHO. Make them site exclusives, hell they seem to love the ol' exclusive stuff.

"But....they did redo Custer. And I thought that the reason behind it was they weren't satisfied with the original. If it can happen for him, they should take a look at the rest of the lines."

Custer was redone not because they were not happy with the original. Custer was redone to go with the rest of the generals in the Civil War line. The first Custer was made up for the western series which was 11 years after the Civil War ended. They were two Custers for two different complete lines and two different wars.

I am not sure how well figures sell for Sideshow. Custer from six gun legends was the first figure to sell out in that line without even having an edditon size posted. They may have felt that he could stand to be a big seller in the Civil War line as well at least that was my reasoning to them.

The rotocast heads hit me hard on the Planet of the ape line. However, pictures recently posted on Ceaser, with a possible non rotocast head sculpt look much better to me for ape wrinkles and hair lines. I wouldn't take the gorrilla from the first movie if it was given to me as the lack of detail in the hair line and face was far more than I could justify. Perhaps others felt the same way as me and stopped buying the next lines of figures. Of course I am more into the first movie figures than others but would have bought the Ursus figure if they could have even tried to get a passing resemblance to the actor from the movie. The resemblance to Zaius, Cornius, Zira and Taylor were there except for the soft head sculpts.

Custer was redone to go with the rest of the generals in the Civil War line.
You are obviously a bigger fan of those lines than I am. Is it the same Custer sculpt?

I wouldn't take the gorrilla from the first movie if it was given to me
Hey!!! If you happen to get one, I call dibs!! :lol
While the headsculpt certainly could have been made to look like any one of the apes in the first film, the "generic" look was disappointing. Ursus, too, could have looked much more like the character from Beneath, or at the very least had the helmet done right to detract from the difference.

As for rotocast heads, as well as the past rooting problems, I don't know why the faults with these procedures weren't caught by someone along the way. :\

I was wondering if multiple emails for each individual figure request would be effective or a single email with multiple figures would get more of a response?
Which is more preferable?

You are obviously a bigger fan of those lines than I am. Is it the same Custer sculpt?"

No sir, it is a completly redone in all aspects head sculpt with longer hair for the Civil War look. Matt Falls got done the resemblance to Custer right on the money on this latest offering. I was not all impressed with the six gun legends Little Bighorn Custer head sculpt likeness and so I had a custum made up by eydlehands who is a fantastic sculptor in every regard.

custom LBH Custer

While I am a big planet of the apes fan I would have only got them all if they would have been fantastic likenesses and figures. I did not get that compulsive urge with voices in my head stating "Must buy now" "Must buy now" after the gorrilla came out. However, I do still get them with the Washington and Red Barron figures coming out.

You are obviously a bigger fan of the Planet of the Ape line than I am. I will be satisfied with only having the main ones for the first movie that have replaced my mego ones from the 70's that I sold on ebay about five years ago.

Also, if front line hero heads ever does a General Ursus resin, I will buy the Sideshow Ursus. They have done a very good looking likeness to the movie gorrilla that you can check out by downloading their catalog.

Front line Hero Heads

The historic figures work better for Sideshow as the profit point isn't being eaten away with licencing rights. They can thus afford to try some strategies out. Like the duplicate Custer and Red Baron.

The point Dusty used, that being Buffy, is just a one off. No other licensed line has returned from the dead. Was Buffy dead, or just in remission? I thought the release of three figures, all the same except for their heads, was what rang their death knell, only to be raised once other companies were showing more success. Worked out well in the end, yeah? What other license can make it, if PotA and the other lines in status can't? It must be time for the Zombies, Revnant Frank and other Sideshow's own creations to creep out of the darkness, or are these being held back as backup for when a licensed line wanes? Who knows? At least they tell us what is not true.

They have done a very good looking likeness to the movie gorrilla that you can check out by downloading their catalog.

Got that one as soon as i found out about it. It is now the best ape I have in my collection. A true pity that Sideshow didn't offer theirs with a bit more "character" in it. And, yes, if Eydylhands ever graces us with an Ursus that looks like Ursus, I'll get him too.

"No other licensed line has returned from the dead"

I'm hoping that the next license to return from the dead will be the "Hogan's Heroes" set as it sold out fast and do not think they fully explored that set enough. The dvd's for the season 1 on dvd are selling like crazy and season 2 will be released next month. This is my favorite license that Sideshow did. I would love to get a General Burkhalter and a Major Hochstetter

I'd go for more Hogan's Heroes too. And I think that Klink and Schultze sold very well but Hogan still languishes on some shelves. If they revived it and stuck to the Germans they might do okay.

Hey!!! Ya want krauts, go by Dragon figures!! What about the rest of the POW's?? Who hasn't been dying for that 1:6 Larry Hovis?? :p

Bond...

Time for all the Bond fans to send in their emails with the subject line 're: Thunderball Jetpack figure'...

Re: Bond...

Well, you know what Brant always says - nothing is ever truly dead at Sideshow I know everyone hates it when he says that, but it's true. You remember the Buffy like was brought back from the dead after a couple of years, so nothing is ever futile

ARE WE BEING RIPPED OFF BY THE "THE DEAD" ZOMBIES LINE THEN? :rollin :rollin :rollin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back