Sideshow Imperial Probe Droid BATTERY LEAKAGE!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay everyone....video is done...hopefully it's helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBEqdNJNNO0

Thanks so much for that! Finally understood what needs to be done. What a truly strange design for battery access. Why wouldn't they make battery access easier?

EDIT: Finally did it. Couldn't have done this without the video. Wow, that was so difficult and a little scary. You really have to manhandle a very fragile item. Both the insert greeblies fell out, the thing creaks and groans as you do it. :slap

I noticed this in the probe droid thread yesterday. Mine has been sealed since purchase but after seeing the warning I finally decided to take it out today just to make sure everything was alright. I pulled the plastic tabs out to try everything before taking the batteries out and noticed I could not get the light to stay on. Opened up the battery compartment and sure enough one of the batteries was leaking already. Thank you so much for bringing this to peoples attention. Even with the tab in it was still corroding stored away. Luckily I caught it early and no damage was done at all inside. I hate to think what it would have looked like if I had waited as I was still a long ways off from opening mine up. Definitely a concern for people buying sealed ones in the future.

This is really bad for SSC. Imagine all of the probots sitting in the warehouses of SSC, BBTS and other retailers - batteries right now starting to leak and damage the unsold new product.

Only sideshow figures leak. Hot toys wraps all their batteries in tiny condoms to prevent leakage. That's why they cost so much.

Maybe all toy companies should include batteries, but leave them outside the toy or collectible. It's an extra step for us when we open one up, but eliminates the chance of damage if we decide to leave it in it's boxed condition. Or if we purchase a new collectible that has sat around for a while.

While they are at it, the appropriate sized screwdriver could be included with each one, so we don't have to go searching for it.
We would all end up with like 100 mini screwdrivers :D

This is really bad for SSC. Imagine all of the probots sitting in the warehouses of SSC, BBTS and other retailers - batteries right now starting to leak and damage the unsold new product.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Instead of using batteries that cost a few bucks they used a cheaper kind and some customers and retailers will be severely pissed off.

I went through and opened up all my items with batteries and removed everything. I took out the batteries from the cantina table/chairs set and after 3 years or so they were still completely fine. Yet the batteries for the probe droid were leaking within months of shipment. I would definitely prefer if batteries weren't already installed if this type of thing can happen. It would probably mean I wouldn't bother putting them in in many cases. And I don't need tons of bonus screwdrivers.

Thanks guys!!! I JUST opened up droid and found that one of the three batteries was leaking.
Will get new ones. Better check your R2 ones!

Their choice for the lowest quality batteries in an expensive collectible is not really excusable.

Battery cost has little/nothing to do with it. All batteries cost pennies in volume and there's no guarantee you're not going to get stuck with a bad batch no matter who your supplier is.

Battery cost has little/nothing to do with it. All batteries cost pennies in volume and there's no guarantee you're not going to get stuck with a bad batch no matter who your supplier is.

I'd just prefer they simply did not include them. Sure it may seem convenient to not have to go out and buy them but those batteries that cost them "pennies" and cost us consumers "dollars" I'm sure are probably factored into their profit margins somehow. We'll be better off buying our own and choosing whatever brand we prefer and not having to worry about leakage and damaging of the electronics from the manufacturer and any damage that occurs from battery leakage after the fact they have no liability.

But we all know that a large number of customers would cry bloody murder if Sideshow didn't include batteries.

If someone just bought this and within a month or two the batteries have leaked preventing the product from working, call Sideshow. It's their issue and I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Some sandpaper or a file to clean the terminals on the product will usually fix this misfortune if nothing else is broken.

It has nothing to do with cost as it has with quality. Good quality cell/button batteries are almost the same price as the crappy ones. I use Renata batteries for years, never had any issues. These are used even in the most expensive watches out there.

Yeah, I never understand why at the dollar store you can buy like a dozen of a certain type of button battery as generic for a couple of bucks, yet branded ones (Duracell or whatever) of the same type will be $5 for one or two. There surely has to be a difference in quality, right?

That is why I was glad that when HT's started shipping the Diecast line of Iron Man, the batteries were in the clear plastic tray, and were not already inserted. I would usually have to just take them out anyway. All batteries can leak. I usually don't use them anyway.

I wonder if extended periods of time stuck in a shipping crate in the salty ocean had anything to do with this?

That is why I was glad that when HT's started shipping the Diecast line of Iron Man, the batteries were in the clear plastic tray, and were not already inserted. I would usually have to just take them out anyway. All batteries can leak. I usually don't use them anyway.

Eventually, but the dollar store ones are the only ones that leak within weeks like the probot ones did. A top-of-the-line Duracell battery is not going to leak in that amount of time. All shoes do wear out, but we all know that the cheapo shoes fall apart in a couple of months whereas quality branded shoes generally last years.

Let's call this what it is - pre-installed ultra cheapo batteries.

I wonder if extended periods of time stuck in a shipping crate in the salty ocean had anything to do with this?

The probot wasn't delayed like the Hoth figures were - it would have had the normal shipping time. And no, I can't imagine these are sitting out on deck in the salt air.:lol

I've just picked this up today and checked the batteries and mine are fine.

They won't be in a few weeks though. Judging by the numbers, it seems they are all bad.

I bought it used and the guy has had it since middle of last year, the batteries have never been replaced.

Bingo! I'd say that's a pretty plausible theory.

Pretty implausible. Aluminium is very reactive to salt air, yet will still last a couple of decades when installed as window frames on a beachfront apartment. I know because I have a beachfront apartment up north (on which the window frames need replacing at the age of 30 years)

The harsh reality is these are just cheap crap batteries, that will leak probably sooner rather than later.

I used to swear by Duracell. They lasted the longest, never leaked...but over the last few years I've noticed even Duracells leak, fairly consistently too. I pull the batteries out of all my collectibles now.

Back