Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a screen pic, it's a clip made directly from the dvd output of my dvd ripped Laserdisc copy (the only existing official unlatered edition off the OT).
That was made beacause people swore the scene was originally even bluer than the SE, DVD, and BR, which is clearly not the case.
The only scene where the damn thing looks blue is when Han is dismounting the Taun taun, directly under blue light.

I am sorry if they added more blue in the latter editions, but that should be treated like Anakin's ghost, Han shoot first, Jabba's tail and so on... :dunno

I'm right... no I'm right... no I'm right....:lol

I have a brand-new, high-end, super-duper, better-than-yours TV and watching both the official Blu's and Harmy's blu's... the coat appears blue some of the time and brown some of the time.

How it appears on your screen based on its settings, and to your individual eye, and from what version/print/release of the film you are watching, is your business, but don't tell me what I see, or quote irrelevant "actual" costume colors.

How things appear onscreen is the only and final arbiter (nobody saw the actual coat back in the early 1980's - only the film) - and based on my state-of-the-art TV and "ultimate" disc media versions of the film, Han's coat is mostly brown, but also blue in some scenes.

I have a brand-new, high-end, super-duper, better-than-yours TV and watching both the official Blu's and Harmy's blu's... the coat appears blue some of the time and brown some of the time.

How it appears on your screen based on its settings, and to your individual eye, and from what version/print/release of the film you are watching, is your business, but don't tell me what I see, or quote irrelevant "actual" costume colors.

How things appear onscreen is the only and final arbiter (nobody saw the actual coat back in the early 1980's - only the film) - and based on my state-of-the-art TV and "ultimate" disc media versions of the film, Han's coat is mostly brown, but also blue in some scenes.

I am very glad for your super-duper-state-of-the-art equipment. Too bad it is reproducing some overly blue filtered "ultimate edition" (not to mention the official BR, which is probably the bluest thing I ever seen)... :dunno
Sequence%2B01.Still112.png

People don't seem to understand photography, lighting and natural ageing of fabrics.
As well as flash photography. Most Yoda heads are now melted, does that mean he was a zombie smash up when they were filming decades ago?
Now the Bespin Solo jacket in Empire isn't blue? You guys crazy.

You kidding right? Natural ageing of fabrics? After 30 years? Did they bleached it?
The coat Bonaparte wore in Marengo in the year 1800
napoleon_bonaparte_as_first_consul_posters-rfc91a7bb4718473e8aeea77ac3945b1f_xudl3_8byvr_512.jpg

is still pristine blue today:
436269_1.jpg

And yet my Sideshow Anakins robe faded in a couple years.

What the **** does Napoleon's coat have to do with Star Wars?

Just cancelled mine and reordered with a discount. That's $20 off going toward my Pilot Luke budget. At that rate, i'll have save enough in 6 months to PO him at a decent price :yess:

I am very glad for your super-duper-state-of-the-art equipment. Too bad it is reproducing some overly blue filtered "ultimate edition" (not to mention the official BR, which is probably the bluest thing I ever seen)... :dunno

You forgot that my equipment is actually BETTER than your equipment, and my eyesight is BETTER than yours. :lol

I also have a way to time-travel for a minute or so at a time, and I just went back to 1980 and visited several theaters (just so I could compensate for variation in color timing) and it's definitely blue in some scenes.

I also dropped by Kenner (guy was totally freaked out) and explained the blue/brown situation. The Kenner guy told me he thought people in the future would be debating important matters while living in space. Anyway, he said they're going ahead with the blue coat for the figure because that's what they all saw in the theater and Lucasfilm officially approved the blue. Oh, I also told him about Michael Jackson and the GFC and he was shocked and thankful respectively.

For the record... I badly want the original coat to be blue... It's feeds my nostalgia, for what I saw on screen... But the truth is it's not, or ever was. :D

For the record... I badly want the original coat to be blue... It's feeds my nostalgia, for what I saw on screen... But the truth is it's not, or ever was. :D

The ATAT drivers' costume armor and helmets have been proven to have been a medium (not even light) grey, not the white they appear onscreen.

Do you want your SSC ATAT driver figure to have white helmet/armor, or medium grey?

The ATAT drivers' costume armor and helmets have been proven to have been a medium (not even light) grey, not the white they appear onscreen.

Do you want your SSC ATAT driver figure to have white helmet/armor, or medium grey?

I would want it the correct gray or close to the original prop as possible. Which is why I ordered the brown coat hoth Solo.

I would want it the correct gray or close to the original prop as possible. Which is why I ordered the brown coat hoth Solo.

Even though the original prop looks indisputably white in the movie and that's how you remember it?

:dunno Okay.

...I'm out.

:lol
I hope you mean it, this time (seem to recall this being said before -- not a knock against you, btw). :lol

But God, this argument. Who gives a ****. Everyone trying to be the definitive and ultimate arbiter of what ****ing colour a goddamn jacket was. Not that I'm any better... It's just a nerd curse, I guess, to get wrapped up in these kinds of details. That said, I wouldn't be sorry if I never saw this debate resurrected again. :pray:

I hope you mean it, this time (seem to recall this being said before -- not a knock against you, btw). :lol

But God, this argument. Who gives a ****. Everyone trying to be the definitive and ultimate arbiter of what ****ing colour a goddamn jacket was. Not that I'm any better... It's just a nerd curse, I guess, to get wrapped up in these kinds of details. That said, I wouldn't be sorry if I never saw this debate resurrected again. :pray:

This latest flare-up started because of this...

Nope, still brown:

It's absolutely clear that the costume as displayed is brown - whether it was always that way is debated to some degree, but I'm just bothered by people telling me what I see onscreen when I've just watched it in the highest clarity you can get.

It's like there's no understanding that prints and various media are color-timed differently, TV's/monitors have different settings and that people see color slightly differently under varying circumstances. While it's mostly brown, the coat does indeed look blue in some cases - whether that's due to "really blue lighting" on set or whatever, the fact remains - it looks blue at times while watching the movie.

Both Kenner and Lucasfilm decided blue was the color for the Han figure back in 1980. Kenner (and 1980's) inaccuracy aside, to say there's no basis whatsoever for it appearing biue onscreen is just dumb.

To quote the inimitable Rodney King; "Can't we all get along?":inlove

2qcf9lt.png

I actually never get sick of this debate. Goes to show how great Star Wars is, super passionate fans, years later.

A good chunk of this problem is the ridiculous wait times though. No new pics, no updates, the thread will either die or derail. Show a picture of the figure, have the exclusive sell out in 10 minutes, then ship the darn thing, just like the good old days. This extended teasing isn't near as fun.

I saw it at Celebration.

It's brown.

You want to see my credentials??

Here :moon

Jesus, lighten up, it's just for ****s and giggles. Where was the "flare up"? Do you think I actually give a flying **** what color Han Solo's jacket is? :lolWhat do you think is going to be discussed in the Solo Hoth thread, there is zero else going on until we see the creature from the black lagoon SS production head sculpt with its flat white plastic eyes and paint apps by a five year old minimum wage artist.

Then we can have 200 pages of bitchin and whining about how good bad the headsculpt is followed by another 100 pages of people desperately trying to repaint/modify the sculpt to look decent. :lol

You also added to the debate by the way. Why can't everyone just enjoy trying to prove everyone wrong? It's fun as long as it polite. And we all know that it was actually intended to be blue so I don't see the problem in discussing it?
:lol

Last edited:
Back