Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we really have a argument over a coat on which you can clearly tell the color of it?:slap:monkey1

I'm over the blue vs brown thing, it is what each individual thinks it is. I'm looking forward to the reveal tomorrow!

Well there is clearly a real debate over what people see on screen.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Averaging the area selected in each photo, three out of four show a dark blue coat. One showed a black, as did an earlier photo.

When anyone can show this colour (photo credit to DarthRazz who posted this previously) on screen, let us know:

IMG_0760.jpg

I need to get back to painting my place (muscles ache that I did not even know I had).

I still dont get why there is even a debate, If they are giving us both, then who cares. :dunno

They both technically correct. Brown was the original Prop, they filtered it in camera to make it appear blue.

SSC clearly loves paying homage to the original props as they have done in the past, so if they give us both, there really is no debate.

although i can see it now, whatever Blue and Brown they use, people will debate if its the correct Blue & Brown :slap :lol

Well there is no debate really when the coat is brown and the lighting gave off a blue effect but seems to be a fun one as I read through the comments. Love that SS is giving us both and can't wait to see the reveal tomorrow than Pre-order Han.

All this blue / brown **** is making this thread go downhill FAST :slap
If they are doing both, who gives a ****!
Just pick one when it goes up for PO and LET IT GO.
Its not like they only made one and people want the correct one (whichever that might be) and the figure to be revised....
That is of course if they are really going to have both coats..... i hope they do, otherwise this debate will never end :pray:

Photoshop is funny.

That's an interesting experiment; seeing how brown filtered in blue lighting fools PS into thinking it has an average value of blue most of the time. Just shows how amazing the eye is. Then again, the context of knowing he's wearing a brown coat may be influencing judgment. Who knows. As the gentlemen above me said -- the costume is a brown coat that was filtered and saturated into a blue hue onscreen.

This is all still fun though. I wonder who will win. :D

Okay, ESB was on Spike last night and I watched the entire Hoth sequence.

There is no way anyone, without any prior knowledge of the actual prop, could possibly think the coat was nothing but dark blue. Believe me, I was watching TRYING REALLY HARD to see brown and did not. Blue in all the scenes. There was only one part where you could possibly see it as brown and that's when he goes to get a taun taun and says "Then I'll see you in hell!". But everywhere else, the coat was blue. The scene where he puts his hand over Threepio's mouth is the most blue it looks.

I'll also say that Han constantly switching to his Bespin jacket and seeing how that jacket looked on Hoth adds to seeing the big coat blue, since you see the Hoth coat look and react to the light pretty much the same as the Bespin jacket.

The Bespin jacket, the actual costume itself, is sort of a dark ash… It isn't blue either. Kenner ****ed with us all :)

WeAveraging the area selected in each photo, three out of four show a dark blue coat. One showed a black, as did an earlier photo.

:slap It doesn't show that at all. Tools are dangerous when you don't know how to use them nor what they do.

Some people need to take their own advice. When you're done getting some experience in the lighting world and maybe some prepress classes, let us know, because in every example you're clearly posted a picture of a brown coat. You're absolutely not sampling the coat color with your analysis. Instead why don't you try sampling the bottom of the falcon, or the hoth trooper clothes. You'll see exactly the same shifts to the blue channel. You're only proving there's a blue cast in the scene and capture, which, is 100% irrelevant in figuring out what color the coat is on its own.

Many, but clearly not all people, can tell the blue comes from the light and is not the color of the material being lit. The blue lighting doesn't fool these people. It shouldn't fool anyone because Han walks around in different lighting and the appearance of the coat (along with everything else in the scene) changes as he does.

The very top of the hood in this picture shows the natural brown without light distortion.

TLC_bp_hothprobe_hanref.jpg

All this blue / brown **** is making this thread go downhill FAST :slap
If they are doing both, who gives a ****!
Just pick one when it goes up for PO and LET IT GO.
Its not like they only made one and people want the correct one (whichever that might be) and the figure to be revised....
That is of course if they are really going to have both coats..... i hope they do, otherwise this debate will never end :pray:

The irony is you sound angrier about the very existence of the debate than anyone actually participating in it.

I mean, seriously, as debates about toys go, this is about as genteel as they come. The Boba Fett green debate devolved almost instantly into a nasty flame war, whereas this has gone on for weeks across two threads with no mods needing to step in to the best of my knowledge.

:slap It doesn't show that at all. Tools are dangerous when you don't know how to use them nor what they do.

Some people need to take their own advice. When you're done getting some experience in the lighting world and maybe some prepress classes, let us know, because in every example you're clearly posted a picture of a brown coat. You're absolutely not sampling the coat color with your analysis.

Instead why don't you try sampling the bottom of the falcon, or the hoth trooper clothes. You'll see exactly the same shifts to the blue channel. You're only proving there's a blue cast in the scene and capture, which, is 100% irrelevant in figuring out what color the coat is on its own.

Many, but clearly not all people, can tell the blue comes from the light and is not the color of the material being lit. The blue lighting doesn't fool these people. It shouldn't fool anyone because Han walks around in different lighting and the appearance of the coat (along with everything else in the scene) changes as he does.

As devil said earlier:

FFS...no one is saying that the actual coat is blue. It looks blue on the screen, so as far as the film (which is nothing but sight and sound) is concerned, the coat is blue. What it looks like in a box, or on the set, or anywhere else besides in the film, is completely irrelevant.

But tackling the same strawman again and again and again seems to be the most popular response to the fact that multiple analyses show the on screen colour to be blue.

Puffs, the coat looks BROWN in the movie to anyone who watches the whole thing and can get past the artificial blue light in SOME scenes that so obviously colors absolutely every single element in that scene in the same blue light.

Look, I watched in 1980 in the theater and knew the coat was brown. Again in 1982 same. Again in the late 80's on home video same. 90's SE in theaters, same. DVD in the 2000's same. Later in the 2000's on BluRay same. Right now with BluRays same.

Yes, the coat (and everything else) has a blue light cast in some scenes. So what? If you want to pose with a blue coat go right ahead. If you want to do it because you think it makes it look more like the movie, then you're wasting your time - you're better off with the brown coat and blue filtered light to make everything else blue as well.

I'm just really tired of people pulling specific samples and then doing irrelevant color sampling. Yes, the coat is blue as much as the Earth is flat.

Back