Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too.

But believe it or not, some people here are actually passing on Chewbacca. Passing. Because *whiny voice* it's not good enough. I don't know what the hell they're collecting, but whatever it is I want it if its that good that HT Chewie wouldn't 'fit in'.

That coat is in a glass box. The blotchiness looks like reflections from the glass.

egeje4y7.jpg

hube9a4a.jpg

DSC02544.JPG

Original%20Trilogy%20-%20Han%20Solo%2007.jpg

TLC_bp_hothprobe_hanref.jpg

In the expanded universe where my figures live Han's wardrobe on the Falcon extends to two cold weather coats. A brown one and a blue one. They go with his two pairs of trousers.

solooooo.jpg
I honestly think the brown comes from fading over time. It started out blue..

I though you were a strictly a HT man now, kicked poor SS to the curb, what do you care about SS garbage?

You're right. SS Hoth Poo Solo? SS Hoth Puke Skywalker? I don't need no stinking figures. Gimme HT only. HT only.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Sideshow. It brought me into the hobby. Sort of. It made many of my favorite characters. That I now need to replace. It's just.... well, I found someone else. She's younger and Hotter. I'm sorry. I didn't want this to happen. It just did. Maybe if you listened more. Or we didn't get stuck in a rut with clone after clone. I don't know. But I have to go. You'll find other collectors. Really you will.

More time to see more items from the HT Star Wars selection.

:lecture SSC may want to get a move on with actually releasing stuff. There's murmurs about even better versions of EVERY SINGLE SW THING coming soon.:rotfl

What? you mean make your star actor look like the other drone rebels and not stand out?
Yeah, that makes sense. :lol

It was a way of separating him from the crowd and just to repeat again McQuarrie painted Hoth concept art of Han in a blue coat.
And those are no reflections in the glass.

Crazy talk.
:lol

Last edited:
Compare the first two photos of the front of the coat:

Reflections:

2earx21.png

Reflections in a different place:

hube9a4a.jpg

Reflections on the back:

egeje4y7.jpg

McQuarrie sketched a lot of things, including a BROWN Wampa:

ScreenShot2014-01-24at143901_zpsc27fde4c.png

Maybe he was running out of crayons? If he'd used brown it would have been the wrong brown anyway. :dunno

Compare the first two photos of the front of the coat:

Reflections:

2earx21.png

Reflections in a different place:

hube9a4a.jpg

Reflections on the back:

egeje4y7.jpg

McQuarrie sketched a lot of things, including a BROWN Wampa:

ScreenShot2014-01-24at143901_zpsc27fde4c.png

Maybe he was running out of crayons? If he'd used brown it would have been the wrong brown anyway. :dunno

Coat: The threading is blue, and there is blue residue around the indented areas, looks like it was dyed blue. The light reflections on the glass are not what's being discussed.

Wampa: That's not a brown Wampa! :lol Jesus, The wampa is in shadow, I can't really get into a discussion explaining how light works, but it's supposed to be in silhouette. See that dark shadow on the ground that both Chewie and Han are in? That's coming from the silhouetted Wampa. McQuarrie understood light.

Last edited:
Here, let me show you the blue in the photo. I understand that some people are not very visual, so this might help you. This is upping the saturation on the entire image, nothing has been added. Everything that exists within the picture is more saturated. You can see it on the other images as well if you look hard enough. And have an open mind.

What's that I see on the stitching and indents? Remnants of Blue dye? Han's coat was brown dyed blue badly. It was intended to be blue and appeared blue in several scenes, but the original brown colour showed through quiet strongly. And probably varied from jacket to jacket, there were more than one. Everyone is right. But the intent was blue. Case closed.

Last edited:
In that image the black insignia has become blue as well. It's also picking up the streaks on the glass and turning them blue. They are the very reflections we're not meant to be discussing.

That's a concept sketch anyway which isn't evidence for the final production, otherwise Han's coat would have been indisputably blue.

In that image the black insignia has become blue as well. It's also picking up the streaks on the glass and turning them blue. They are the very reflections we're not meant to be discussing.

That's a concept sketch anyway which isn't evidence for the final production, otherwise Han's coat would have been indisputably blue.

So the blue refections on the glass are putting blue into the seams and threads?
Following the contours of the jacket and forming a perfect pattern?

Whatever.

Last edited:
So the blue refections on the glass are putting blue into the seams and threads?
Following the contours of the jacket and forming a perfect pattern?

Whatever.

They're compounding the issue, because the reflections are also blue and not indicative of dye residue.

And do we know the colour of thread used in the stitching?

These images are with maximum saturation with blue being the primary colour to adjust:

15467004415_7de182a51f_o.jpg

How much blue dye did they use on this thing? One thimble or two?

They're compounding the issue, because the reflections are also blue and not indicative of dye residue.

And do we know the colour of thread used in the stitching?

These images are with maximum saturation with blue being the primary colour to adjust:

15467004415_7de182a51f_o.jpg

How much blue dye did they use on this thing? One thimble or two?

It's very common mate, if you are used to dying fabric you would understand.
And the threading held the colour longer because it was cotton. Some fabrics will not take permanent dye at all.

And some need to be dyed at a temperature which would damage the fabric so cooler less permanent colours are used.
Add 30 years of deterioration and it makes perfect sense. That second picture you posted of the pocket lapel and badge above?
Look at the very edge of the pocket and you can see the navy blue along the threading and also following the line/seam just under the badge.

I have dyed items for custom projects which have completely reverted to their original colours after only a few years.

Ignore the reflections on the glass, ignore the background, look at the contours of the jacket, look at the seams. They have zero to do with glass or refections, physically impossible.

Your over saturated pics show the blue as well. And it's not JUST the threading it can be seen in the indents/folds.
I'm glad you can see the blue on the stitching though. We have a breakthrough!

Indisputable as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I'm glad you can see the blue on the stitching though. We have a breakthrough!

Indisputable as far as I'm concerned.

We have the beginnings of evidence for the hypothesis. :wink1:

I've been searching in vain for written evidence for dying, but we're left with Exhibit A in the glass case.

If the theory is correct, then we needed a third coat from Sideshow: one that is neither brown nor blue, but something in between. :lol

Long ago when we discussed this before I settled upon purple-brown, which under blue lighting or filters turned more towards blue.

Back