Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm loving this base and figure everyday

Been futzing with the fur to make it more textured. But still retain the fur so it looks flowing through a hoth wind

This fig is looking stellar - except the fur liner. Seems like some combing and futzing might help it.

Yeah I think people might be combing the fur out a little too much. Needs to be a lot messier, like what it looked like in the proto pics (at least as much as you can with the cheaper production fur).

Mine came in today but I missed the delivery, called fedex to have the package held for pickup at the depot where they told me my vat fees will be $109.00 canadian . I live in Ontario Canada, and will obviously dispute this with fedex. I mainly ordered the exclusive from sideshow because of the Extra head sculpt.Just wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem before.

Mine came in today but I missed the delivery, called fedex to have the package held for pickup at the depot where they told me my vat fees will be $109.00 canadian . I live in Ontario Canada, and will obviously dispute this with fedex. I mainly ordered the exclusive from sideshow because of the Extra head sculpt.Just wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem before.

Yes, they wanted $74 from me where my Luke was only $24. I phoned and gave them the tracking for Luke so they could see what I paid and told them it was the exact same thing from the exact same place. I ended up paying around $24 for Han here in Alberta.

I'm pretty sure they're using the wrong Harmonized code on these. Don't know if they got someone new or what. It's happening to a lot of us.
I think they are supposed to used 9703 or something like that for Original art - other but suddenly, they're not.

Mine came in today but I missed the delivery, called fedex to have the package held for pickup at the depot where they told me my vat fees will be $109.00 canadian

Your HST owing is under $40. I'm curious how they can explain the additional $70. Further, if you paid for priority, their brokerage should be included in the price of shipping.

I'm pretty sure they're using the wrong Harmonized code on these. Don't know if they got someone new or what. It's happening to a lot of us.
I think they are supposed to used 9703 or something like that for Original art - other but suddenly, they're not.

It's up to Sideshow to declare the package properly on their packing list and/or commercial invoice, otherwise you'd better phone ahead to handle at least part of the clearing process yourself. Original Art is most definitely not the right code to use BTW. :) If the customs paperwork is a mess and FedEx (or whomever) is giving you a hard time, you can always refuse the package and then get Sideshow (or other seller) to fix their mistake and re-ship. If that part ends up being a problem, you contact your credit card company.

You're not supposed to pay duties on Art, and I even think collectibles. It's in chapter 97 of the HS Tariff codes pdf

Customs Tariff 2015

Near the end of the PDF.

Section XXI
WORKS OF ART, COLLECTORS' PIECES AND ANTIQUES

Yes, they wanted $74 from me where my Luke was only $24. I phoned and gave them the tracking for Luke so they could see what I paid and told them it was the exact same thing from the exact same place. I ended up paying around $24 for Han here in Alberta.

Your HST owing is under $40. I'm curious how they can explain the additional $70. Further, if you paid for priority, their brokerage should be included in the price of shipping.

Thanks for the responses. I know they are wrong. It sucks that i called fedex too late to get their customer service department to fix it. Now i'll have to go pick it up tommorow. Still stoked to get this blue jacketed baby.

They have always used Original art - other or something like that on my packages. I phoned them (fedex) and got my fees on this guy reduced drastically.
Same with another statue from SS a few weeks ago.

You're not supposed to pay duties on Art, and I even think collectibles.

But you'll always owe HST. And if this was done via UPS or FedEx ground or DHL, you'll also pay a (usually) exorbitant customs clearing charge - and then GST on that too. With FedEx "express" or "priority," that extra service should be included in the price. At least it used to be.

I don't know about statues, but this figure, like all other 1/6 figures that are mass produced, will probably best fall under some "toy" classification. I would never consider ordering anything from the US for delivery directly to me here in Canada. I live only an hour from the border so I maintain a US mailbox and import and clear everything myself. It's a shame not everyone has that option, because the carriers are always trying to squeeze you for money you shouldn't be paying them.

Last edited:
They have always used Original art - other or something like that on my packages. I phoned them (fedex) and got my fees on this guy reduced drastically.
Same with another statue from SS a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the link, that's awesome. I usually don't have to deal too much VAT fees unless I order an exclusive from sideshow. I'm usually content with regular editions, in which case i get it through local shops.

Not to get too off topic but the best thing you can do is if you had Luke delivered to you an were charged correctly, give them the tracking from Luke and tell them it's exactly the same piece from exactly the same place.

I've had hundreds of things delivered to me from SS over the years and only in the last couple of weeks have I had this problem with them charging duties incorrectly. I've only ever had GST (alberta) + around $11 dollars charged at the door.

Back