Sideshow Frankenstein Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just nabbed a couple of Frankie's cheapish, woohoo! NRFB Frank1 for $30 and a loose BOF Frank for $18...pleased with these scores.
Both figs have pro's and cons--not keen on the solid wrists on the BOF, might articulate them later. The usual early wrists on the Frank1 look great and will take any pose. Might make some extra hands (strangling?)

The boots on both figs give no movement at all--BOF has solid plastic boot/legs with a swivel at the top below the knee. Frank1 has rubber boots up to the knee...they come off so I hear, presumably with a lot of heat. Both these guys are not going to fall over when stood up straight, bit limiting though. Might fix that also, maybe with a body swap.

The BOF jacket is a good size (unlike the Frank1)--I had a quick go at fixing the armpits, way too much cloth there. Probably will replace with a black jacket (supposed to be black, these jackets aren't they?).
Frank1's jacket is useless and embarrassing...like the width of his trousers though: BOF's are wider, presumably to get over the fixed boots.

Prefer the paint on BOF...he looks dead. Frank1's paint is a bit too bright for me, got to redo at some point. BOF's head shape is spot on, I reckon...Frank1's seems off. Good sculpts on both--Frank1 will be a satisfying match when he's been repainted.
Neither head will look down--need some work. Funny neck arrangement on the Frank1, would be better with a bit of artic on the headjoint, instead of being just a swivel.

Had a chance (just after I got these) for a loose SOF...passed because it was a bit pricey and had the same fixed wrists as BOF.

More pics later, when I've made some improvements to these monsters!

Great scores! I got the BOF Monster and had it repainted by Skiman and it's amazing. These are great figures and still hold up well today considering their age.

^^Yup! Cool review and two awesome figures! Great prices too. The regular Monster Silver Screen Edition happens to be one of my favorite figures ever. I know some people don't like the SSE versions but I prefer them. Especially when it comes to the Monster and Dracula. I have a soft spot for old Sideshow horror figures. Yeah, they have floppy bodies, bobble heads and ****ty paint apps for the most part but I love 'em. :)

Thanks kids! I'm pleased with this little haul. I'll bet the SSE's look pretty cool on the shelf, true to the movies, yep. Not my cuppa tea though...at the moment. Times change...

Feel free to stick up a close up or (or two) of your SkiMan BOF paintup, Darth! :mummy :mummy :mummy

For me the first version has the better sculpt.

The nose on the bride version is wrong.

But prefer to display the bride version, bescause of his companion.

Awesome! Hope you don't mind my reposting a pic or two, Darth+Ski.
109_1910.jpg

109_1918.jpg

EDIT--hmmm see what you mean about the nose, Amarcord. Petite little schnozz on Groom. (That's BOF's new title from now on, heh)

Last edited:
If you have a Son Of Frankenstein, or Ghost of Frankenstein figure--- you could get this neat new Ygor to go with it. Its a Distinctive Dummies custom. I know a lot of folks pined for Ygor and Dr. Frankenstein back in the hey day of SSC 1/6 monsters, so I thought I would let y'all know.:peace

19ea_99b_u9wqb.jpg

13k3_8c9_u9wqb.jpg

Pretty cute! Could do with a repaint obviously, but he's all there.
"This place of the dett...all dett here."

I think Ygor's paint is a bit too simple, Baron. And looks too matt. Might be different in hand, but in that pic it looks cheaply and quickly done. Can't fault the sculpt itself, I like it.

Back