Sideshow Ep4 Obi-Wan Kenobi modification and custom thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much what Pixel has listed: I am having Skiman paint up a pair of SS hands (as well as the SS head sculpt) just to see what magic he can conjure from them.

I am very excited to get this project going.

@ Galactiboy--that is a stellar repaint of Ol'Ben :clap

Some of these custom paint jobs are really nice, but I am not sure it's in my budget to afford a really good one especially if it still doesn't accomplish a life like quality that looks good when displayed side by side with HT. As I weigh my options between upgrading my Sideshow Ben with custom work or picking up Hot Toy's I thought the simplest solution might be to just not to display my sideshow Ben next to the new Hot Toys figures. So, I moved him on the second shelf of a lamp I have my HT Bespin Luke on to see if with his hood up and some distance I can live with it. Honestly, I still like the figure, I think it might have been the best one of the ANH Sideshow batch. I think if I keep it a body swap might be all I do and perhaps the HT Ben outer robe if it isn't too expensive when parted out.
OB1lowershelf.jpg

Nice set up man. :)

You're right - SSC had a couple gems, & this guy was one of them.

Just looking at your figure there, it seems the old SSC outer cloak puts the new HT one to shame, both in quality & cut.

I don't know how futzable the HT robe is, but you can definitely get a great look out of the Sideshow one if you use a water treatment.

You're right - SSC had a couple gems, & this guy was one of them.
yea, as I look at my SSC Luke, Han, and Leia on my shelf I can't see them as anything else but place holders for the HT versions I have ordered. I remember when I first got them thinking how much better they looked than Hasbro, now that HT took it to a new level the SSC ones almost seem just like the same as Hasbro to me :). I don't feel the same way about SSC Ben though, especially when displayed by himself.

Just looking at your figure there, it seems the old SSC outer cloak puts the new HT one to shame, both in quality & cut.
You might be right. I think the HT one might drape better with the hood down though and the thickness of the materiel might be closer to scale. But just looking it at as it is I never considered it a problem.

I don't know how futzable the HT robe is, but you can definitely get a great look out of the Sideshow one if you use a water treatment.
I've never had the courage to do a water treatment on any of my figures before. I've been tempted to try it on Superman's cape (Reeve), but was always worried I'd ruin it. Ben's outer cloak seems pretty durable, I should finally give that a try.

would adding a thin layer of tamiya flat flesh paint help reduce the shiny look of ben and make him less zombie like? or would you need to strip the head of its paint and re do it? never painted a figure before and just want to see if i can do any simple mods, and don't have the money to send it to a custom painter.

IMG_20151029_222011_zpshex64xtx.jpg

IMG_20151029_230707_zpsbzw4qhzy.jpg

Didn't like the zombie effect, but couldn't afford a repaint when there are so many figures on the horizon, so used some red and black crayon and smudged it over the sculpt. Seemed to work quite well.

I am sorry, can anyone tell me what is the water treatment that people mention on this thread?
Thank you

Just add water to his robes while he's wearing them. While wet you can futz the robes by pulling them and adding wrinkles. Also the weight of the wet clothes will allow them to hang more naturally.

Just going to finish this off for you to make sure TrekFan gets the whole idea...

the weight of the wet clothes will allow them to hang more naturally.

And when the clothes/robes/etc dry they will (mostly) hold the wrinkles, creases and shape you've created.

Didn't want anyone to think you had to keep re-wetting. :)

What is the ballpark rate for a head repaint? How does one go about getting this done? Just PM some of the folks identified as the painters in the thread, and see if they have the time and willingness to do another one, and agree on the price? I've ordered the HT Han, Chewie, Leia, and Luke, but not really feeling the likeness on their Obi-Wan. Still considering it, but also interested in maybe getting my SS repainted instead.

My custom Ben. HT narrow, HT Ben fat suit, HT hands and hoods robe, HT stand. Sideshow boots, pants, shirt, inner robe and tunic, and head sculpt (repainted by Skiman).

12640410_10153293763515796_3450199247856535522_o.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Back