1/6 Sideshow Deluxe Darth Vader review, People's Picks voting!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Didn't Sideshow already produce a great sixth scale Darth Vader? Yes, yes they did. But that was more than 4 years ago, and things have changed quite a bit in this market since. They've released an updated 'deluxe' version, but is it really worth dumping your previous version? I have my review up tonight at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

And don't forget - tomorrow is the last day for People's Picks voting!

Michael
MWC

I was looking forward to reading your views on this sensational release, Michael...

While you review is decent, I almost didn't make it through it. Is it really necessary to keep the prequel-baiting bandwagon running after all this time? Yes, there is a noisy group out there that still wants to convince everyone that Lucas ruined Star Wars with the prequels (and won't it just be a barrel of fun if the forthcoming Abrams effort fails to hit whatever that "mark" is)...but really, enough already. There are those of us who like the entire saga and who've grown weary of the continued prequel-bashing...at one time it might've seemed "hip" or something...now it just reads as pathetic and boring. Can we just stick to editorializing about the toys please?
I'm more interested in reading/seeing about the figure...not being subjected yet again to what is fast becoming the "Star Wars" equivalent of discussing politics or religion in a bar...it's best not to. Agree to disagree and focus on the toys please....
There...rant over...I agree with most of your points about this figure...is it a worthy upgrade from the previous version - absolutely! The price is steep, but considering the marked improvement shown on what is quite simply the most iconic character in Star Wars, period...one can't fault Sideshow too much for capitalizing on this superior effort.

Thanks for the review and pics, Michael...looking forward to more....

Holy, after that rant I was expecting there to be a few paragraphs worth of prequel-bashing in Michael's review, but it's only 16 words, and contained within the first paragraph. No need to remind me ever again not to bring up the prequels with you, jedibear! :lol

Great review, Michael. Enjoyed reading it and am looking forward to getting mine, next week, sometime.

Yeah I gotta agree, it was all of one sentence in the first paragraph and that was it.
Outstanding review as always Michael!

Jedibear - You can certainly disagree with what I say. But to tell me I don't have the right to say it? That's ridiculous. Sorry, but I will continue to voice my opinion on Star Wars, Iron Man, Man of Steel, the New 52, and any other subject of a collectible. I've always done it, I will always do it.

... Is it really necessary to keep the prequel-baiting bandwagon running after all this time? Yes, there is a noisy group out there that still wants to convince everyone that Lucas ruined Star Wars with the prequels (and won't it just be a barrel of fun if the forthcoming Abrams effort fails to hit whatever that "mark" is)...but really, enough already. There are those of us who like the entire saga and who've grown weary of the continued prequel-bashing...at one time it might've seemed "hip" or something...now it just reads as pathetic and boring. Can we just stick to editorializing about the toys please?

Apparently not.

I was looking forward to reading your views on this sensational release, Michael...

While you review is decent, I almost didn't make it through it. Is it really necessary to keep the prequel-baiting bandwagon running after all this time? Yes, there is a noisy group out there that still wants to convince everyone that Lucas ruined Star Wars with the prequels (and won't it just be a barrel of fun if the forthcoming Abrams effort fails to hit whatever that "mark" is)...but really, enough already. There are those of us who like the entire saga and who've grown weary of the continued prequel-bashing...at one time it might've seemed "hip" or something...now it just reads as pathetic and boring. Can we just stick to editorializing about the toys please?
I'm more interested in reading/seeing about the figure...not being subjected yet again to what is fast becoming the "Star Wars" equivalent of discussing politics or religion in a bar...it's best not to. Agree to disagree and focus on the toys please....
There...rant over...I agree with most of your points about this figure...is it a worthy upgrade from the previous version - absolutely! The price is steep, but considering the marked improvement shown on what is quite simply the most iconic character in Star Wars, period...one can't fault Sideshow too much for capitalizing on this superior effort.

Thanks for the review and pics, Michael...looking forward to more....

Yeah those people feel the need to do it whenever possible, it's sad.

While i got your attention, I'd like to take this opportunity because you are reading this that i didn't like the 4th Indiana Jones movie because it was terrible...HELLO!

Michael: I've been getting an error message when trying to access your site all day today. Does it appear up and running from your side of things?

An excellent review as always, Michael! This is the first time in a while that you've posted a review long after I've already gotten the figure, and it was cool to inspect him in person with your judgments in mind.

I'm in South Korea. Even when I try to go through Google to different parts of your site I still get the "server not found" message.

They have to with all the online gaming. Rumour has it you have to beat the fathers in Starcraft to prove you're worthy before you are allowed to date their daughers. :lol

Good review, though I felt the figure was a bit better overall than your final score would indicate. Keep up the great work, Michael!

I agree, granted I don't have mine in hand yet (hopefully it will be here thursday or friday), from what I've seen so far online I would think the vast improvements would at least push it another half a star higher over what you scored the ANH Vader.

It is priced high no doubt about it, but the value score may be a little low too considering the Hot Toy's esque deluxe pa****ge were getting.

Either way I'm not a reviewer just a dork... As always, I think you do a wonderful job on your reviews Michael!!!

Great Review and I have to agree with your overall score. From what I have seen online from pics and all the commentary that has been written I have decided to pass on this Vader for now. But I still love hearing about him from all the reviewers and collectors :)

FYI Michael: On a hunch I decided to try looking up your site via Tor and it worked. I may have been getting blocked somehow because of my geographical location - not sure exactly - but I figured that would be useful information for you to be aware of anyway.

Good review. I liked reading about the new Vader in the context of updating a figure that had already been done. It's exciting for someone like me, who never had the opportunity to purchase the first Vader figure, to finally be able to pick him up, regardless of the price being a little steep.

Back