Sideshow BTVS Faith Maquette Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is, they'll have a whole lot of returns on their hands. Cause that is not the item we pre-ordered.

I remember when the Clone Armor Obi One Kenobi fiasco happened over at Gentle Giant, I prey this isn't another one of those.

I remember when the Clone Armor Obi One Kenobi fiasco happened over at Gentle Giant, I prey this isn't another one of those.

Oh? Fill us in! I'm hoping ssc can see that we're complaining and not happy, so that they can handle this swiftly. Just because I don't have a Faith statue, doesn't mean I will accept anything less then what I pre-ordered. So they either must make it look the same as what I ordered, or they'll get a return. If you go back and look at Trevor's sculpt, it's Eliza. So whatever happened once it was sent off is beyond me.

Oh? Fill us in! I'm hoping ssc can see that we're complaining and not happy, so that they can handle this swiftly. Just because I don't have a Faith statue, doesn't mean I will accept anything less then what I pre-ordered. So they either must make it look the same as what I ordered, or they'll get a return. If you go back and look at Trevor's sculpt, it's Eliza. So whatever happened once it was sent off is beyond me.

Long story short, Gentle Giant previewed the Obi Clone Wars armor and it had quite an amazing likeness to Ewen McGreagor and that was what was solicited. When the final product was released, however, it looked absolutely nothing like him and tons of fans were upset because they had pre paid for one thing and received another. GG had some lame excuse for it and I don't think they really ever recovered from it.

I dunno I saw it in person and stared at it for a while and I think it looks great. I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over some random photo just yet. I guess it sucks for those who are going to return it eventually but she will be a great addition to my collection. Just like Willow.

It looks like an 8 year old had painted the face.... Yikes that looks terrible, almost GG in quality.

There is a close-up on the product page. Here is a comparison between that one and this...

faith-comparison.jpg

Not the same at all. Not really even close, IMO.

OMG, WTF?? I'm not even sure It's just the paint job that looks all wrong, I'm wondering If the molding/casting process at the factory has buggered up the original sculpt too.

What a shame. I wonder If Spikes going to suffer that fate?

OMG, WTF?? I'm not even sure It's just the paint job that looks all wrong, I'm wondering If the molding/casting process at the factory has buggered up the original sculpt too.

For some reason I doubt that Spike will. I have a feeling he'll be the one that comes out perfectly. But I believe it's not ONLY the paint leading to Faith's demise. It's also the casting process. Because certain things look a bit off to me.

gosh I hate to say it but that new photo reminds me alot of the 12 inch Faith face... something about the lines around the nose are strange

Here are the things I am noticing a bit different between the sculpts. It could be the lighting, and ALSO the angle. So don't quote me here. The piece could turn out really great if the paint was done better. There is no excuse for the cruddy paint.

I feel like the eye I boxed out looks different in this one. More droopy, and the brow looks higher. Remember, I said this could be an angle issue...
The mouth seems to be missing those dips at the edges.
Her chin seems to be missing that clef. And her nose seems to just be a bit off on the side. But that could be the angle/lighting.
And then there's not mistaking that the paint job is a complete botch.

faith-comparison.jpg

I would assume that the SDCC model is a "selling-in" model (at least that's what my company calls them). These are made especially for big retailers to display at conventions and various toyfairs. These are often prototypes, that are handpainted and made in low numbers. But since the shipping date of this figure isn't that far away, one could fear that this was the production sample.

Having dealt a lot with chinese production, I think I have an explanation for the occasional "lazy eye". The chinese factories that i've had experience with have a tendency to want to print one eye at the time, which is quite annoying since it doubles cost and the figure might end up looking crosseyede or like Marty Feldman.

OK, yes, those are different.

You have to keep reminding yourself that neither is a production sample. Production is at least three months away. That said, what are the odds the production pieces end up looking like the website prototype, and not the con floor sample? Ouch.

I don't think the sculpts are different. Actually, even on the website model, you can tell the painter didn't follow the sculpt lines around the eyebrows. None of the Buffy actresses had the pencil thin eyebrows that seem to be in fashion today, yet that's the way they are being painted. I for one think the penciled in look is hideous and wish this fad would fade away. Whoever did the con model took it a step further and on top of that was just way too sloppy with the mascara and eye paint. I can see some of the harshness of the lighting also hurting the con sample. It probably looks better in person with soft light, like a lot of Sideshow statues.

Being a Sideshow collector lately almost necessitates some skill with a paintbrush, or being friends with someone who is.

Maybe they made a mistake and took the wrong prototype piece, it looks as bad as the pic we saw in the magazine.

Maybe they made a mistake and took the wrong prototype piece, it looks as bad as the pic we saw in the magazine.

It's Trevor's sculpt, but otherwise that would have been it I bet. So, someone said something about eye decals...wanna dive further into that? Are they deciding it's easier to stick stickers on for the eyes then actually paint them?

If they are using decals they need to lower the prices, one of the selling points of highend collectibles is that they are individually hand painted.

Back