Sideshow added Cancer and Reproductive harm warning on all statues recently

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mfdoom

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I noticed Sideshow added Cancer and reproductive warning to all their statues. I wonder how bad are these statues for our health? I just recently opened up a new Bane PF statue and it smelled the worst out of all my statues. I feel like this is a serious topic, please chime in!

Maybe this should be moved to ask SS to comment on this.
I noticed Sideshow added Cancer and reproductive warning to all their statues. I wonder how bad are these statues for our health? I just recently opened up a new Bane PF statue and it smelled the worst out of all my statues. I feel like this is a serious topic, please chime in!

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

That's perfectly understandable: you should never ingest a statue, especially whole or use it as a sex toy (unless it's ribbed)!

I think there should be international laws enforcing the following warning: danger! Life causes death.

California has a law requiring them to label things that could potentially cause cancer; unfortunately, it's being read extremely broadly (such that there was a danger of even coffee being labeled as a possible carcinogen). Here's an article from Popular Science on it:

https://www.popsci.com/california-coffee-cancer-warning#page-2

Here's another article:
https://www.businessinsider.com/california-cancer-warnings-coffee-2018-4

Here's an LA Times articles pointing out the flaw in the law:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-proposition-65-warning-coffee-20170930-story.html

As the American Cancer Society says regarding this law:
"The Prop 65 labels only tell you that a product has something in it that might cause cancer or affect reproduction. They don't say what the substance is, where it is in the product, how you might be exposed to it, what the level of risk is, or how to reduce your exposure."

Point is, if there's a chemical anywhere in the statue that is known to cause cancer or reproductive issues (even if you'd have to eat a large quantity of it to see any risk), California requires it to be labeled. A judge ruled earlier this year that coffee has to be labeled as a carcinogen, because it contains traces of acrylamide (which in very high doses has been linked to an increase in cancer in animals). Sideshow is based in California, and they sell a ton of products there. This is almost certainly 100% a reaction to that.

And as for why the labels are just appearing now, the law was updated in 2016, and these changes became effective in August 2018... that is probably the source.

California has a law requiring them to label things that could potentially cause cancer; unfortunately, it's being read extremely broadly (such that there was a danger of even coffee being labeled as a possible carcinogen). Here's an article from Popular Science on it:

https://www.popsci.com/california-coffee-cancer-warning#page-2

Here's another article:
https://www.businessinsider.com/california-cancer-warnings-coffee-2018-4

Here's an LA Times articles pointing out the flaw in the law:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-proposition-65-warning-coffee-20170930-story.html

As the American Cancer Society says regarding this law:

Point is, if there's a chemical anywhere in the statue that is known to cause cancer or reproductive issues (even if you'd have to eat a large quantity of it to see any risk), California requires it to be labeled. A judge ruled earlier this year that coffee has to be labeled as a carcinogen, because it contains traces of acrylamide (which in very high doses has been linked to an increase in cancer in animals). Sideshow is based in California, and they sell a ton of products there. This is almost certainly 100% a reaction to that.

And as for why the labels are just appearing now, the law was updated in 2016, and these changes became effective in August 2018... that is probably the source.

That was my first thought when I read the thread title; must be something that fu'ed up California has done.
It's not the place where I grew up in anymore, it's turned into a libtard state.

Yea, these labels are nuts!

They have the same labels in all the buildings I've worked at. Its just there to cover their asses ...because after awhile you just get numb to the labels.

As long as you don't go around licking or snorting your statues you should be fine.

California...the state that just wont fall into the ocean...LOL - Spent time in Sonoma and any place that rents which has a fireplace needs to have a sign that says fire may cause cancer...LOL.....man o man what a great place!

We should tamper our labeling of CA law of dangerous products as some sort of over reaction, with a lesson from history.

In West Virginia Coal miners were told there were no serious health consequences for working the mines.

Cigarette manufacturers were lying to the public for years about the dangers/addiction of their products, to the death of millions.

In the 1920’s workers were continually put in harms way over chemicals and unsafe working conditions in favor of profits.

The choice is over protective government, or greedy corporation that don’t care if their products are a hazard to you or your family.

To me one choice is clearly the better of the two......

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Yes, because collecting statues is totally like smoking or working in a coal mine... :lol

Life has a 100% mortality rate. And there ain't a bubble big enough to protect you from that. :)

Yes, because collecting statues is totally like smoking or working in a coal mine... :lol

Life has a 100% mortality rate. And there ain't a bubble big enough to protect you from that. :)

Hey Drake, better to to know for sure instead of blowing it off like it's not an issue. There has to be a reason why they added this.I'm actually going to call them and listen to what they have to say.

Well, I prefer not stressing about all the things that might be remotely possible to do us harm in certain circumstances, I guess. Not putting my head in the sand, and I take reasonable common sense precautions, and am very aware of safe usage of proven harmful or toxic items, but the 'could maybe possibly do some kind of harm' thing is a damn long list, and it includes pretty much everything around us on it. So, personally I think stressing about things like that is probably far more harmful in the long run than the thing you are stressing about will ever likely turn out to be, but hey, to each their own. :)

That said, there's certainly no harm asking, all the same. The belief that you shouldn't worry isn't the same as saying you shouldn't ask.

Anyway I was just trying to make light, so don't mind me. :)

California also isn't like every other state, now 5th strongest economy in the world. Ultimately it's up to the individual to be informed, like so much else out in the world.

I have no issues living here, now 12 years in manufacturing, in California.

Last edited:
Well, I prefer not stressing about all the things that might be remotely possible to do us harm in certain circumstances, I guess. Not putting my head in the sand, and I take reasonable common sense precautions, and am very aware of safe usage of proven harmful or toxic items, but the 'could maybe possibly do some kind of harm' thing is a damn long list, and it includes pretty much everything around us on it. So, personally I think stressing about things like that is probably far more harmful in the long run than the thing you are stressing about will ever likely turn out to be, but hey, to each their own. :)

That said, there's certainly no harm asking, all the same. The belief that you shouldn't worry isn't the same as saying you shouldn't ask.

Anyway I was just trying to make light, so don't mind me. :)

All good, I understand where you coming from.

I get it but this also sounds like it's contributing to hysteria, misinformation and general confusion. I get they want to cover their bases but a little transparency would have been nice, if there was a specific circumstance (if statues burned (like in a house fire) they are especially toxic) or if they're using a particular chemical that simply poses an inhalation risk....or if they're just being cautious in this "letigious society" of ours.

Yes life has a 100% mortality rate...but I think people like to have a decent run of it before they cash their chips. Better later than sooner, no, Drake? ; )

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Most likely its the paint...

I work with paint alot and many colors have toxic materials. Cadmium Yellow for example.

Its not that big of a deal either, but you should always be informed.....

I bet alot of people never expected asbestos to be dangerous. That stuff is everywhere.....and those folks didnt work in a coal mine either......

Or lead paint for that matter....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I mean we've known about the harm of inhaling PVC fumes (released when burning or heating) for years. They're only being more upfront about these things now due to law.

These are made in China, so they are probably using toxic glues, lead based paints etc.

Back