Sideshow 1/6th Tusken Raider

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up taking everything and soaking it in RiT color remover then bleaching it to get rid of the weathering SS did. Then I used diluted acrylics to color the outer robe.
Did you do any other mods to your Tusken? And I assume it's a couple of years ago now, but do you recall the brand/color paint you used on the robe?

And does the Rit dye remover bring the cloak back to an off white or does it make it a funky color? I once used remover on a blue shirt and it went crazy purple... surprising and scary. :lol

Did you do any other mods to your Tusken? And I assume it's a couple of years ago now, but do you recall the brand/color paint you used on the robe?

And does the Rit dye remover bring the cloak back to an off white or does it make it a funky color? I once used remover on a blue shirt and it went crazy purple... surprising and scary. :lol
I think it was like 5 years ago now so I don’t remember the exact colors but it was all cheap, Apple Barrel paints from Hobby Lobby (back when they carried that brand). The colors were in the tan and gray family though. I‘ll be doing another one soon so I’ll take better notes. 😄

The RiT color remover started to take everything back to an off white. The bleach just helped to lighten them more and remove the weathering spots even further but never completely.

Thanks, I do love the look of your Tusken.

I am kind of struggling with my "cloned Tusken" project, partly because the Tusken color, like the Jawa color, is very, very hard to nail down. We all have Kenner and Hasbro Tusken s in our heads, and then there's how Tuskens look in OT, PT and Mando.

The WIP pic below is where I'm at with it, halfway through painting - custom on the left, stock Sideshow figure on right (though he has SSC Indy hands because I think the stcok hands are a bit small.) I cast the face and bandoliers so each can have two "X" bandoliers, and moved the outer cloak to the custom (which uses the Hasbro inner robe.) The rest of the custom is parts bin. The cloak-less Tusken will have a DID WWI bandolier as waist belt as I'm going for the "riding the Bantha" cloakless Tusken for the guy on the right.

The problem is that "Tusken color" seems to be somewhere between the off-white/bone color of the Hasbro robe, the darker taupe-salmon of the Sideshow outer cloak and the sand color of the Sideshow robe. And I really don't know if I should be darkening the robe or lightening the cloak.

(I'm also making both taller - like 12 1/2" - to make them more imposing. Haven't swapped the stock Tusken's body yet.)

RfFjvIy.jpg

This is the 4K frame grab I was looking at - the onscreen Tusken color seems closer to the Sideshow cloak. Both cloak and robe. :gah:

UctQgPn.jpg

I'm almost done with my "split into two" Sideshow Tuskens - basically dividing a single SSC Tusken's parts into two figures using casts or a few Hasbro parts.

I actually decided to do three - one is the "sand yellow"/Kenner color for the Bantha passenger Tusken, the second is the taupe-brown for the Luke attacker, and the third will be the "prototype" Tusken (with the roughly torn/frayed robe seen in the WIP pic above) seen in the promo pics like the Art of SW book.

I am still working on the Luke attacker Tusken's head and gaffi stick (I had to extend the weapon because the one that Tusken uses is slightly different to the Sideshow weapon.)

As I mentioned above, the Tusken is - like the Jawa - very different in color depending on whether you are looking at the movie or promo pics. Just like the Jawa also, because of ageing even the same pic can show cloak or robe as a lighter sand color or a bone color or even a darker tan-brown.

Looking at frame grabs from the 4K, the Sideshow outer robe, which I always felt was wrong and too dark, is actually closer than I thought. Yet the sniper scene in 4K they seem lighter in color (though it's possible they are only wearing the robe, no cloak, in that scene because the Bantha riders all have no cloaks on.)

3Grun3z.jpg

Man, there is some great custom work in here on this classic figure. It's one I'm a little shocked that SSC hasn't reissued this, considering the prevalence of Tuskens in current SW storytelling.

Mine is still very much stock, but after looking in here, I may have to try my hand at a little customizing on one of the SSC ones I have. Thankfully, the materials and gear that Sideshow assembled for this figure are really good as a base and still hold up today.

Was going through some older shots and found a few different angles of it I hadn't shared. Pure stock, but this figure still impresses....

ON THE HUNT.jpg

DESERT WARRIOR.jpg

SWING OR SHOOT.jpg

I definitely want to make some changes to the HT one whenever I finally receive it. In the meantime, I'll keep coming here and enjoying the great custom work....very inspiring.

Reviving this thread since it’s been a while. Plus I just picked up the sideshow Tusken and wanted to see what everyone has done to theirs.

So I got my sideshow Tusken in the mail and the seller failed to mention it didn’t come with the outer robe. Mostly complete but disappointing to say the least. Trying to contact the seller now to find out if they still have it. Any suggestions on a replacement outer robe if they don’t have it?

So I got my sideshow Tusken in the mail and the seller failed to mention it didn’t come with the outer robe. Mostly complete but disappointing to say the least. Trying to contact the seller now to find out if they still have it. Any suggestions on a replacement outer robe if they don’t have it?
Man,that sucks to finally get it,and then a crucial part of the outfit is missing. Hope you can get it through the seller.

I just got a new stand for my Raider. Can anyone recommend a body for a body swap on this guy?
20230523_081936.jpg

Last edited:
Man,that sucks to finally get it,and then a crucial part of the outfit is missing. Hope you can get it through the seller.
Nope. Didn’t have it. Got a partial refund. I’m satisfied with the deal. Now to source an aftermarket robe. Hopefully Coco can get more.

Back