Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only seen pictures of both posted here, so can't comment in in hand but the belly on the first one looks distractingly gigantic.

I was thinking, it will be interesting to see if anyone makes any custom eye and mouth pieces. I could see a mouth being done with a not so big tongue. I think my biggest complaint from the photos is that the eyes seem to bulge out a bit, so it would be interesting to see someone tackle that. But I’m very excited to get this in hand although I’m still trying to figure out exactly how I’m going to display it.

Yeah, the original Jabba was dissected plenty when it came out, however, being over a decade ago, those thoughts went away and people just came to make piece with it or at the very least lost interest in bringing it up, until new Jabba came to get talk going again, and 2 years from now, this will all have passed as well.

I would really like to see this guy go up as a giveaway prize, I would love to have it, just can't afford to buy it.

Just something I noticed in your video and with this pic..but have you tried the standard look? Basically just like the Jabba picture above your setup; with the regular eye on the left and "sleepy" eye on right. I really think that helps basically eliminate the whole cartoon/caricature look. Either that look or both eyes barely opened.

From everything I've seen, using the standard eye on the right side..it just droops down a bit too much. To me it just makes it look less accurate with the misalignment of the eye sculpt.

The first thing I tried was the "sleeping" eye on the left and the regular one on the right, but I thought it looked a little off -- like the sleeping eye is a bit too closed. But the nice thing about this figure is that you can mess around with things like this. I might actually go back to using both of the normal eyes.

I would really like to see this guy go up as a giveaway prize, I would love to have it, just can't afford to buy it.

That would be great! Except it would likely be some facebook giveaway, which I'm not on, so no good for me.

I hope you do manage to get one some day though, Maulfan. I know what a Jabba fan you are and I'd be very curious about your thoughts of this piece in hand.

Well they did give one away to that guy who dressed as Indiana Jones. I wish I could've thought of something good for that contest lol

Maulfan, make an offer to Sideshow that you'll dress up like the Hulk in full green body-paint and rampage a Lowe's for a green hammer if they'll give you a Jabba.

:lol

With all the discussion here about the size/scale difference between this new Jabba and the old one, I wanted to see if I could do a photo comparison that would line this new Jabba figure up with the movie Jabba by having something to help scale it to. I ended up choosing one of Sideshow's own promo photos because it was a clear attempt to mimic a famous image from the movie; and C-3PO can be the scaling reference point. Below is what I came up with after sizing the images so that the two C-3POs line up as much as possible.

SideBySide3POJabba01.jpg

And here's the same image, but with grid lines inserted to help the eye see where things line up between the figure photo and the movie image. I'm not making a comment here on what these side-by-side comparisons say about the sculpt and scale of the figure; I just wanted to assess it for myself, and decided that as long as I already went to the trouble that I should just go ahead and post it here in case anyone else would be interested. And I'm sure people will still see things dramatically different from one another anyway, even in these comparison photos. :lol

SideBySide3POJabba01a.jpg

Lastly, here are the two images I used (in case someone would want to approach this differently).

SideBySide3POJabba02.jpg

SideBySide3POJabba03.jpg

Just something I noticed in your video and with this pic..but have you tried the standard look? Basically just like the Jabba picture above your setup; with the regular eye on the left and "sleepy" eye on right. I really think that helps basically eliminate the whole cartoon/caricature look. Either that look or both eyes barely opened.

From everything I've seen, using the standard eye on the right side..it just droops down a bit too much. To me it just makes it look less accurate with the misalignment of the eye sculpt.

I like the lazy eye look myself, paired with the slightly open mouth and one raised arm- he looks pretty good.
received_2120266384951899.jpg

Maulfan, make an offer to Sideshow that you'll dress up like the Hulk in full green body-paint and rampage a Lowe's for a green hammer if they'll give you a Jabba.

:lol

I might actually consider it if I had enough notice of such a contest, :lol

I’d love to just rent this thing for like a weekend and do a photo shoot. I love my original Jabba but he’s always been limiting for photos, where Mr Potato Head Jabba has a lot of versatility. Having a Jabba already, I’d probably be ok sending it back. Don’t get me wrong, given a chance to have this for lifelong display I’d take it, photo shoot is just my minimum.

The new one's face does seem to 'sag' more.

I’d mentioned previously, it seems like the design team probably took liberties with his “chin” to add the swap out mouth pieces, I’m sure making a clean looking, swap out piece the shape of what’s on the puppet probably would have been likely to cause scratches and things or stood out more as looking like a separate piece.

43632E58-6EA6-4F04-9DC1-DD70E0E41878.jpeg

The mindset is to analyze Jabba like a statue more or less, but where this one’s more an action figure, you have to accept that some areas will not be accurate.

That fragile Crumb irks me the most. Part of the fun of the old set was handling the creatures from the creature pack and rearranging them from time to time.
I would be scared to breathe on the new Crumb.

Yeah, the old one you can really bend and move - I actually got a couple of slightly different "poses" with my old salacious - inclduing crossing legs, arms in a different position and also putting him on top of/around 3PO's head (like grabbing 3PO's eye.) None of that I would dare do with this new Salacious.

That moment in icruise's video - where he drops the Salacious from a few inches off the table and it breaks - is one of the more shocking 1/6 moments I've seen in a long time. That a key figure accessory in a $800-900 release could break that easily is stunning.

Oh my friend, I've been saying its underscale ever since 2007 (or 2008 whenever I got this in hand).

But based on what though, brother? You put figs next to it and it was short in comparison to carefully matched ref pics (which are hard to find,) or it just "felt" smaller than you imagined Jabba to be - in the way people like a 14" tall Vader because they remember feeling like Vader's "huge" onscreen or a 6" tall R2 because they remember feeling he's cute and small onscreen?

I've done careful comps and the old Jabba is indeed about 1/2" undersized, but it's something that's easily fixed and it really isn't that noticeable overall in terms of looking small next to key figures. The Jabba puppet's less than 5'-6" tall to the very top of the head.

The other issue is, while the new one is easily 50% more volume than the old one, most of that is in areas you can't see (behind head and back of figure) so other than some quite distorted comparison pics - the two figs are so large it's hard not to get distortion - the two figures don't look massively different in terms of size (other than tail thickness) from the standard viewing angle for a Jabba display. At least in the side-by-sides I've seen that are taken from further back so are less distorted.

This is the pic I posted earlier, which is a pretty distortion-free image (taken from some distance, figures equally to the sides of center) that I have simply taken one figure and placed it above the other. The new Jabba is indeed about 11" vs the old one's 10 1/2" and the new one does look a little bigger but overall, visually, it's not a huge difference once the throne height difference is removed.

The oversized new Jabba arms/hands also makes the figure read larger at a glance - but those new hands are 50% too large.

b7aQzIA.png

Yeah, it's yet another nit (and yes, most are nits) that I noticed in the very first Sideshow video a couple of weeks ago: how the eye on our left droops noticeably. You can see that even though his eyes are very expressive, onscreen Jabba's eyes are dead straight in relation to each other. I was wondering if you can rotate the Sideshow eye on our left upward so its more level but I don't think it's possible.

You can see the issue here in agp's comp pics - where the screen Jabba's eyes are dead straight in relation to each other, whereas you can see the SSC fig has the drooped eye on the left side.

Bad timing on my part but I would love to add this Jabba to the collection. Even with all of it's nits, I think it looks fantastic.

:exactly: I agree. And I will. And it's not bad timing at all.

This debate has to happen, even though I know it comes across to some as "haters vs defenders," just as it does in thread after thread over the years. As jackboots and missions. Certain people ignoring the Copenhagen Accord on toxic emissions.:lol

But it's an amazing new Jabba release that should be dissected and debated. This kinda reminds me of many similar situtaions - like when the new HT Ben came out. To me, the old Sideshow Ben head was a better likeness, but it had some size issues, a somewhat lesser detailed sculpt and the worst of the SSC's notoriously bad paint apps. Kinda like... SSC old Jabba.

And a new Ben had arrived with stunningly lifelike paint apps and amazingly detailed "hyper-detailed" sculpt. The new release also had way accessories: better belt, light-up saber, super real looking hands, gorgeous pleather boots etc. And so began a long, long debate about best likeness, price/value, features, paint etc. And it was great.

And... I have both in my collection (Sideshow repainted,) and I like aspects of both and display them differently to accentuate the pluses, even if neither brings home the Ben goods 100% and both have issues. Which is how I will end up with these jabbas.

I will have the repainted old Jabba "embedded" in my Jabba dio (large cabinet that will have about 20 Jabba goons and various Palace figs where Jabba is just part of a sea of Palace stuff) and the new Jabba will be my "standalone" centerpiece Jabba as part of my larger 1/6 museum pose figures.

But based on what though, brother? You put figs next to it and it was short in comparison to carefully matched ref pics (which are hard to find,) or it just "felt" smaller than you imagined Jabba to be - in the way people like a 14" tall Vader because they remember feeling like Vader's "huge" onscreen or a 6" tall R2 because they remember feeling he's cute and small onscreen?

You know, people don't always need calipers to make an accurate call, Talibane.

You are kind of amazing sometimes. First you say no one said anything. Then when I chime in, you suggest I was wrong... about something that has since been proven correct no less. What is the point of your response to me except to be an ass and say I'm incorrect is my assessment somehow because I couldn't know that, didn't have the right tools, or was somehow emotional?

Yes, I knew SS Jabba was under scale just by looking at pictures, same thing we all do to this day. For the record, I always knew Vader 14" was too tall also, that always bothered me, I know you remember that.

Back