Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a pretty big hit to take at once though. I just got charged for Palpatine and throne from BBTS and kinda cringe at seeing that charge to my card in addition to my regular purchases. I do like flex pay still. I know a lot of people will just say to set aside funds, but it still seems easier to swallow small payments over a span of time than dishing out large payments at once.

Yeah, seriously. Why not pay all $1500 for your cable bill at the start of each year if you know you’ll have it the entire time? Same with car insurance, I do monthly but 6 months is usually an option for a tiny bit cheaper.

Flex is a convenient offering. I need to make room, so for me it would delay the arrival enough to do so and make the impending charge not so overwhelming.

Yeah, seriously. Why not pay all $1500 for your cable bill at the start of each year if you know you’ll have it the entire time? Same with car insurance, I do monthly but 6 months is usually an option for a tiny bit cheaper.

Or just pay off your house at closing. Doesn't everyone do that? ;)

Just secured the rest of the money for this. Will be making a phone call tomorrow and paying all but last payment to secure this.

Gonna put Boba and Jawas on flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really should get off my ass and sell some other non 1/6 stuff I have that is worth a good bit of cash but just sitting in storage. I could pay for multiple Jabbas this way if I just put in the effort.

Let’s go rams!!!!! I mean I’ll order Jabba soon too and have both V1 and V2.

Does he come with his ornate cup like the inclusive edition?

Great review. Though I can’t get over the eyes/ mouth seems. It makes it look very “toyish”. Yes I know, al of our 1:6 scale figures are action figures/ toys. However when posed right and hiding seems they can appear as 1:6 scale statues. Unfortunately with this piece there’s no way to hide the seems to give it a more realistic look.

Yeah, the seams were pretty visible in that video, though I think it has to do with how harsh the light is, and only when the light is coming from a certain direction.

I also just watched a set of Blitzway Ghostbusters go for $830 on ebay this morning. For comparisons, that's a set of three figures for about what Jabba costs -- yet I see better value in this Jabba (with throne and Crumb) then I do for the three key Ghostbusters comedians.

That's aftermarket though - the retail for all four GBs and Slimer was only a bit over Jabba's price which many would argue is better value than Jabba as it's the whole set of characters and four HT quality 1/6 figures plus a key accessory.

My 2nd & biggest issue with this is that it's a 1/6 scale statue to put with 1/6 scale action figures. It's not an action figure. There is NO articulation whatsoever, and it's a hard solid resin/fiberglass piece. I admire SS work on this, but for me I also can't get past that it's a statue. The same reason I didn't buy the SS Dewback back when.

Jabba is a figure you can only do so much with, yes. But I'm pretty confident HT would find a way for his arms, tail, and maybe even his mouth and tongue to have movement and poseability. Things that define a 1/6 scale action figure, vs a 1/6 scale statue. I don't think we'll be seeing a SS segment on YouTube with "How To Be A Poser" with Jabba. :lol

Also the materials used make a difference. They also effect how the look, paint sheen and texture would be visibly different. Different materials absorb paint differently, reflect light differently. A HT/SS head is not made of the same plastic material as the body. And I believe we almost all like the seamless look of the rubber arms over plastic molded arms with visible joints on many HT figures.

I kind of agree with both sides of this argument. I also passed on SSC Dewback and Taun with no regrets because of the statue aspect. That being said, not sure how you could build a lot of articulation into this without getting into the visible joints issue, and seams even more visible than this Jabba has. Think of Sideshow's Bossk and his visible wrist and ankle joints - which really visually impacted the fig. The only other option would have been soft skin with armature, but that rightly makes everyone nervous (which is what HT will do.)

My feeling with this Jabba is it would have been much more preferable to have two swap-out upper bodies with two different iconic eye/mouth poses - that would also provide a waist spin-joint for posing - and arms with shoulder ball joints (like old Jabba, but ball joint not spin) along with swap out straight/bent tail.

It's also a really interesting idea that plastic and resin absorb paint differently - this does have the sheen of a resin statue vs how it would look if made of the same plastic that HT heads are made of.

I took a few more photos of things that I didn't do last time, including sleepy-time Jabba, the throne without Jabba on it, the frog bowl (which can now be seen from above if you remove the hookah and also has the froggy snack in "water" as a separate removable piece), and Jabba's face with no parts on it (nightmare fuel!)

View attachment 440792

Maybe there's a bit of lens distortion going on, but Jabba's arms (and especially hands) look to be almost 50% too large there, and in many pics.

Thanks for posting your pics - they are great. And I'm watching your youtube channel for the video review (watched your old Jabba review yesterday.)

That's aftermarket though - the retail for all four GBs and Slimer was only a bit over Jabba's price which many would argue is better value than Jabba as it's the whole set of characters and four HT quality 1/6 figures plus a key accessory.

My point was that I wasn't tempted by that deal... but still very tempted by Jabba at the same price. Of course its personal choice.

icruise's Jabba pic is definitely somewhat distorted, but this comparison shows that SSC Jabba's arms, and especially hands, are a bit oversized. While the overscale isn't quite as bad as this pair of pics makes out (icruise's pic is taken from fairly close with a wider angle lens, while the Jabba ref pic is taken from pretty far back with a longer lens) the SSC arms are definitely noticeably too big.

c4ROGsR.png

Back