Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People with old Jabba might not double-dip even at $600. For some reason, everyone thinks that old Jabba is really good, even with its smallish head and terrible paint.

I'm eager to see this new Jabba in production form. I have a feeling many will change their tune here when its finally revealed.

(NOTE: not a shill for Sideshow)
The figure itself while not perfect isn’t what I have a problem with so much. It’s decent looking to me at this point. It’s still a Sideshow piece though so I still remain skeptical until I see the final product. My main complaint is solely the price point. It’s just so damn much. You could get three or maybe even four figures. I get that this is bigger and has the throne but still it’s a lot of damn money.

Oh I agree, its way over priced... but so was the original Jabba at $120 in 2007 for a hollow piece of plastic. It held the record for the "biggest rip-off" by Sideshow for a long time.

I have it, I like it, but I've never displayed it. As I said, for me, its smallish head and miserable paint just made it obsolete before I made room for it.

People with old Jabba might not double-dip even at $600. For some reason, everyone thinks that old Jabba is really good, even with its smallish head and terrible paint.

I'm eager to see this new Jabba in production form. I have a feeling many will change their tune here when its finally revealed.

(NOTE: not a shill for Sideshow)

I agree. I’m not gonna buy it (and yes I have the old one), but I think a lot of people will change their minds when the final product is here. SSC will probably get very few preorders on this and the production run will be low. I foresee insane eBay prices in the future... [emoji326]

What is a "torso sinking" quality...?

hasbro_jabba_sdcc2010.jpg

They should have cut some bells and whistles and kept it at $600.
What do you mean by keeping it at $600? Was that ever on the table? Or do you think that $600 is the most it should be?

As someone who started collecting Sideshow Star Wars back at the beginning, when figures were $40-$50, what we have now seems like a completely different world, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I remember the original Jabba setup being quite a splurge when I originally got it, but now that I look back on it I'm amazed it was only ~$320 for Jabba and the throne.

I doubt that very many people who have the old version will buy the new one, but at the same time I appreciate that they're trying to make a new and better version available to new collectors. Of course, I am the exception in that I have the old one and will happily buy the new one -- the only problem is figuring out where to put the new one. But I can totally see how it's a hard sell at $800.

^^^ Would that be considered a Devil's Triangle?

Only if Salacious and Jabba don't make eye contact.:dunno

What do you mean by keeping it at $600? Was that ever on the table? Or do you think that $600 is the most it should be?

As someone who started collecting Sideshow Star Wars back at the beginning, when figures were $40-$50, what we have now seems like a completely different world, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. I remember the original Jabba setup being quite a splurge when I originally got it, but now that I look back on it I'm amazed it was only ~$320 for Jabba and the throne.

I doubt that very many people who have the old version will buy the new one, but at the same time I appreciate that they're trying to make a new and better version available to new collectors. Of course, I am the exception in that I have the old one and will happily buy the new one -- the only problem is figuring out where to put the new one. But I can totally see how it's a hard sell at $800.

I meant they should have made it $600 - so no it was always $800.

Even in today's market, $600 seems closer to reality, but then again Sideshow also put a $270 pricetag on Luke Snowspeeder maybe two years ago, which as someone pointed out was the price for the Yoda hut environment when it came out just five years before that.

The other issue that this Jabba is going to be heavier than the first one, so more expensive to ship overall. That one was rotocast so just a shell really, whereas this new one is actually fiberglass/RESIN. It's not injection molded plastic as Sideshow had hinted earlier (well, at that point they said they didn't know.) Maybe there will be areas that aren't solid though - hopefully.

That being said, the new throne is also fiberglass/resin, so I assume that will be a little lighter than the old polystone one, which is like a lump of concrete. So maybe the weight overall will be the same as the old set.

Despite what Sideshow hinted at repeatedly, in fact the only pieces that are injection molded plastic on this release are the Salacious (which is not as good a sculpt as the old one, though the paint is better) the frogs and the smoking bowl/hookah.

This is an important point, because injection molded plastic has more "give" for the insert eyes and mouth pieces, whereas you'd think resin wouldn't slide in as tightly and hold as well, and plastic would have less noticeable gaps around the insert pieces. I hope that insert idea (which was great in theory) doesn't turn around to bite SSC on the *ss when the prod piece shows up.

Only if Salacious and Jabba don't make eye contact.:dunno

I meant they should have made it $600 - so no it was always $800.

Even in today's market, $600 seems closer to reality, but then again Sideshow also put a $270 pricetag on Luke Snowspeeder maybe two years ago, which as someone pointed out was the price for the Yoda hut environment when it came out just five years before that.

The other issue that this Jabba is going to be heavier than the first one, so more expensive to ship overall. That one was rotocast so just a shell really, whereas this new one is actually fiberglass/RESIN. It's not injection molded plastic as Sideshow had hinted earlier (well, at that point they said they didn't know.) Maybe there will be areas that aren't solid though - hopefully.

That being said, the new throne is also fiberglass/resin, so I assume that will be a little lighter than the old polystone one, which is like a lump of concrete. So maybe the weight overall will be the same as the old set.

Despite what Sideshow hinted at repeatedly, in fact the only pieces that are injection molded plastic on this release are the Salacious (which is not as good a sculpt as the old one, though the paint is better) the frogs and the smoking bowl/hookah.

This is an important point, because injection molded plastic has more "give" for the insert eyes and mouth pieces, whereas you'd think resin wouldn't slide in as tightly and hold as well, and plastic would have less noticeable gaps around the insert pieces. I hope that insert idea (which was great in theory) doesn't turn around to bite SSC on the *ss when the prod piece shows up.

So it’s not vinyl.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the original and actually open to buying the new one, if it turns out well in production. I would have to sell my original but open to it. I have 400.00 in sideshow rewards I am saving up basically for this if it turns out well. My only real fear is if Hot Toys eventually does a better one but that is big if and even then probably years away.

As much as an HT Jabba the Hutt might be the best overall looking piece, I feel like there's a likelihood they'd make him out of rubber/vinyl like Hulk to give him more articulation than Sideshow's done, like working mouth, and there's a question of longevity for those materials, plus paint wear.

As much as an HT Jabba the Hutt might be the best overall looking piece, I feel like there's a likelihood they'd make him out of rubber/vinyl like Hulk to give him more articulation than Sideshow's done, like working mouth, and there's a question of longevity for those materials, plus paint wear.

HT's will no doubt be superior in every way. :)

Iron studios could do one. I could see that. Not sure how well they could pull it off.

If Prime1 has the license, which seems inevitable, that would be life like for sure.

So it’s not vinyl.

Thanks.

All of that came direct from Sideshow production team regarding the prod fig.

I'm fascinated to see how this came out. Very ambitious release, but Sideshow has really dropped the ball in major ways on multiple releases in the past couple of years, especially with their notorious proto vs prod difference.

Iron studios could do one. I could see that. Not sure how well they could pull it off.

If Prime1 has the license, which seems inevitable, that would be life like for sure.

Would that be 1/6?

As I've said many times before, the way Sideshow announced this, and the super short release timeline, says they got word that HT was doing a Jabba.

I would think 1/6

Yeah, SS got word that someone is doing one for sure.

Do you really think so? Curious why.

I was thinking about asking this for Xmas but also torn. I don’t really have room and most of my 12” collection is main heroes and bounty hunters.

Do you really think so? Curious why.

I was thinking about asking this for Xmas but also torn. I don’t really have room and most of my 12” collection is main heroes and bounty hunters.

Everybody is throwing their version out there at this point. It’s a damn free for all.

This is an thing that can be made by 3 companies right now. SS made a panic move.

Waiting isn’t going to hurt at all, at all. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fiberglass thing - which seems to be principal material used on this release - is somewhat unusual. For Sideshow, it's more been associated with full size busts, though they did add some fiberglass pieces to a few Joe 1/6 environments that were mostly Polystone.

It seems like the main part of Jabba and the throne are fiberglass, while the insertions/additions - the eyes/mouths for Jabba and the gargoyles for the throne - are resin.

It did seem that Sideshow was heavily hinting that the whole piece would be injection molded plastic so there would be give for the insert pieces to slide in without gaps, and also hold. Resin doesn't have much give, but not sure on fiberglass (which is basically just resin with fiber matting.)

It does seem that Sideshow has been phasing out Polystone, maybe in an era of higher shipping costs for such heavy pieces. Compared to if it was made from polystone, this release will likely be cheaper to ship made of hollow fiberglass vs solid polystone.

Back