1/6 Sideshow 1:6 Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to side with Mike on this. I got Han this weekend and the headsculpts are really the best I have from Sideshow. I will admit it's not 100% to HT standards. They still need to do a little work to get this new eye system right, but it's really not nearly as bad as it looks in pictures. It is absolutely, hands-down better than Drake and even Superman (based on the pictures I've seen of him). I know it's a cliche, but it's definitely better in hand than in pictures. I'd say they are 90% there. They just cut the eye holes a teeny tiny bit too big so it give the figures an odd wide-eyed entranced look. But the paint is pretty darn close to HT quality. It's subtle, but there's a layer of speckles that give the paint a little depth, which is something I see on HT faces as well. There isn't too much modulation in the skin tones across the face (like a little rosier around the cheeks, etc), but I'd rather have the skin tone be more consistent than them overdoing it. I'm glad they played it safe and it looks great because they did. The sculpt does not suffer in the least because of that.

So they have about 8 months to make sure Indy comes out good. I believe they can do it. And if the worst thing is that it comes out like Han and Luke did, then I will be good with that.

Well i had the seller open more than one box. The paintjob was very inconsistant as were the eyes.

What i disliked the most was THAT STUPID STARE! He looks like a psycho or just surprised to have been created at all.

I almost bought one, but that had a paintchip on his nose. That was it for me. Yes they upped their game, but i was hoping to be blown (away [emoji12]) so i hope they make very good use of the 8 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll have to side with Mike on this. I got Han this weekend and the headsculpts are really the best I have from Sideshow. I will admit it's not 100% to HT standards. They still need to do a little work to get this new eye system right, but it's really not nearly as bad as it looks in pictures. It is absolutely, hands-down better than Drake and even Superman (based on the pictures I've seen of him). I know it's a cliche, but it's definitely better in hand than in pictures. I'd say they are 90% there. They just cut the eye holes a teeny tiny bit too big so it give the figures an odd wide-eyed entranced look. But the paint is pretty darn close to HT quality. It's subtle, but there's a layer of speckles that give the paint a little depth, which is something I see on HT faces as well. There isn't too much modulation in the skin tones across the face (like a little rosier around the cheeks, etc), but I'd rather have the skin tone be more consistent than them overdoing it. I'm glad they played it safe and it looks great because they did. The sculpt does not suffer in the least because of that.

So they have about 8 months to make sure Indy comes out good. I believe they can do it. And if the worst thing is that it comes out like Han and Luke did, then I will be good with that.

Nice to hear you are happy with the Hoth Solo MOL: but if what I read you saying--to paraphrase is: It's ok, so ok will be good enough...

but man for the price of this figure (I realize we don't have inhand pictures--but...), I am not ok with just an ok HS.

Ok. :wink1:

:lol I didn't think I was being so washy washy! It's definitely not just "ok". I'd give it a solid A-. The eyes are still an issue, but not nearly as bad an issue as one would think. There is room for improvement but it's close. Damn close. Like I said before, it's the best SS sculpt, both in terms of sculpt and finish, I have seen.

I also don't want to oversell it either! I don't want to get blamed for people buying it and then being sorely disappointed.

I agree the price has to be taken into consideration but nowadays $200 is the middle of current price ranges. With the outfit, second head for the ex, and accessories, I feel I got my money's worth.

And bbl, good on you for judging first hand. That is really the best thing you can do and the best way to really judge if the figure meets your standards.

MOL sorry for coming across as overly sarcastic. You have Solo in hand, I live vicariously through your and others' photos; I can't wait to see it in hand--I agree that this is the best HA sculpt released and in hand right now. I have hopes for TOD Indy. :duff

I'm not sure 'the best SS sculpt so far' is a high benchmark to get over ? :)

What does it look like compared to Hot Toys figures?

...they are now charging Hot Toys prices so there is no 'but those are more expensive' slack for Sideshow anymore....

Thanks for you in-hand review OML. I'm still keeping my Indy pre-order.

:lol I didn't think I was being so washy washy! It's definitely not just "ok". I'd give it a solid A-. The eyes are still an issue, but not nearly as bad an issue as one would think. There is room for improvement but it's close. Damn close. Like I said before, it's the best SS sculpt, both in terms of sculpt and finish, I have seen.

I also don't want to oversell it either! I don't want to get blamed for people buying it and then being sorely disappointed.

I agree the price has to be taken into consideration but nowadays $200 is the middle of current price ranges. With the outfit, second head for the ex, and accessories, I feel I got my money's worth.

And bbl, good on you for judging first hand. That is really the best thing you can do and the best way to really judge if the figure meets your standards.

The sad thing about these Hoth sculpts is this. The squinty eye BD Luke head actually has ok eyes. It works, first time I've seen the SS method for eyes not looking weird. Just such a pity that the other heads were not the same.

Personally I can't get over the wide eye stare. It's more acceptable on these Hoth figures though because of the hats/hoods and goggles.
I wonder how many hat shadow pics we will be seeing in 8 months to hide the eyes? or maybe they have learnt something.

And the face paint is perfunctory at best. A single tan sheen over the entire sculpt. Lets see what they come up with for Indy, posting those incredible hand painted pics though was a very bad idea IMO.

MOL sorry for coming across as overly sarcastic. You have Solo in hand, I live vicariously through your and others' photos; I can't wait to see it in hand--I agree that this is the best HA sculpt released and in hand right now. I have hopes for TOD Indy. :duff

No worries! I didn't take it in a bad way. I just wanted to clarify in case there was any real confusion.

I'm not sure 'the best SS sculpt so far' is a high benchmark to get over ? :)

What does it look like compared to Hot Toys figures?

...they are now charging Hot Toys prices so there is no 'but those are more expensive' slack for Sideshow anymore....

:lol I knew as soon as I wrote that that someone would call me out on it! Personally I would say it is damn close to HT quality. I would say that if it wasn't for the eyes it would BE a HT sculpt. But the eyes are also not as bad as all that. I'd say it was around 90% there. If SS hadn't cut the eyes out too large, it would probably be perfect. As they are, yes, Han has a faraway stare, but it really isn't SO terrible. Once you look past that (which I did fairly quickly after my scrutiny), everything looks good. The last few HT figures I have are Wolverine (Last Stand), Captain America (First Avenger), and Iron Man Mark IV with Tony head, and I'd say SS got it pretty damn close. I would definitely say that Hoth Han is better than HT's Indy--which I know is not saying much!

Of course, YMMV:

The sad thing about these Hoth sculpts is this. The squinty eye BD Luke head actually has ok eyes. It works, first time I've seen the SS method for eyes not looking weird. Just such a pity that the other heads were not the same.

Personally I can't get over the wide eye stare. It's more acceptable on these Hoth figures though because of the hats/hoods and goggles.
I wonder how many hat shadow pics we will be seeing in 8 months to hide the eyes? or maybe they have learnt something.

And the face paint is perfunctory at best. A single tan sheen over the entire sculpt. Lets see what they come up with for Indy, posting those incredible hand painted pics though was a very bad idea IMO.

I can't refute much of what you're saying, but I think you're willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The "stare" is something you can't get past, but it's something I can, so it really depends on what each of us is willing to put up with. I fully admit it's the weakest part of the sculpt, but I also have to say that it's not as bad as you think it's going to be IRL. Yes, it's not perfect, but no it's not Drake bad that you should completely give up on it. Simply put, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. Seeing it IRL is crucial with this one.

And I would say that the paint job is not as bad as you make it out to be. It has a little bit of speckle over the basic color, which is something I see in HT sculpts. I did mention this and the paint in general in one of my earlier posts. But I also don't think it's necessary to have a fancy paintjob with a lot of modulation and variations in color across his face for this figure. Han was pretty even toned in the Hoth scenes, so there isn't any need for painting acrobatics.

OTOH, the Hoth Luke damaged head did get a more basic paint job than the original prototype, so unfortunately that may be indicative of how much less of a job SS will do on this Indy. I'm not so concerned about the cuts and bruises on the upcoming Indy as I am for the stubble. The 5 o'clock shadow seems to be something that is rarely achieved properly. I think I've only seen good examples of it on custom figures.

I don't really know what to say to this.
Based on Sideshow's own pics on the product sales page - which you'd assume would be a good representation - the paintwork is obviously not 'tops'

I concur and I have both in hand. It's an incredibly simple paint job, I guess people see with very different eyes in this hobby, I will say this though the Tauntaun kicks ass. Love it. :lol

Friend of mine got these. I looked at them and no, I will not order these for this price. That is the point. Better yes, not HT's quality. Sorry, but the sculpt on ANH Ben was better and this was done years ago. SSC has had some good sculpts in the past. Paint needs work. The hooded figures looked the best. The unhooded figures still looked toyish. SSC still has a ways to go. Should not be charging this amount for sub HT quality. I have been a SSC fan for years. Passing on these for this price. If TOD Indy turns out like this for the price they are asking, easy pass.

Everybody's giving Sideshow a hard time, yet at the same time everyone is raving about HT's Marty Mcfly, with a soft sculpt and a so so likeness with a dead eyed stare :dunno
Not being a Sideshow apologist, just call them as I see them.

I recently got Captain Rex and Superman and I would say the paint is almost at HT level and the detail on the Rex sculpt is much crispier than some recent HT. the one thing they need to work on is positioning of the eyes, so they're not always dead centre, which gives the figures a somewhat surprised look.

I'm getting an etxtra HT pants and jacket for my Sideshow Indy. My idea of making an 'ultimate' Indy

Everybody's giving Sideshow a hard time, yet at the same time everyone is raving about HT's Marty Mcfly, with a soft sculpt and a so so likeness with a dead eyed stare :dunno
Not being a Sideshow apologist, just call them as I see them.

I recently got Captain Rex and Superman and I would say the paint is almost at HT level and the detail on the Rex sculpt is much crispier than some recent HT. the one thing they need to work on is positioning of the eyes, so they're not always dead centre, which gives the figures a somewhat surprised look.

I can't understand the adulation being heaped on Marty McFly either.

I concur and I have both in hand. It's an incredibly simple paint job, I guess people see with very different eyes in this hobby, I will say this though the Tauntaun kicks ass. Love it. :lol

I would argue they got the face sculpt way closer on Han than they did on the Taun though :lol (now that I think about it - no joke.) The Taun's still a spectacular statue overall but just not great in terms of screen accuracy or "realism."

But yeah, the paint on both Luke and Han's faces doesn't have much HT-style gradation and it is definitely a shade too dark brown complexion-wise on both (a bit like the Tauntaun facepaint actually.) Both hatless sculpts are awesome, hatless Han (which I don't think Rorywan has) to me is noticeably batter than hatted Han. Both hatted heads - Luke and Han - do have a more dead look. Same face sculpts as the unhatted obviously but I think the hat construction distorts the face/eyes somehow. Still look really nice overall, just a little off.

I would say that these Luke/Han heads are a good sign for Indy. They certainly aren't bullseyes or quite at HT level (MOL's assessment of 90% is about right,) but they are a very noticeable improvement over the Snake/Drake level.

I can't understand the adulation being heaped on Marty McFly either.

Because it's Marty ******* McFly in 1/6 scale arriving in people's hands. Any further questions?:lol

It's a 1/6 figure of a guy who looks a lot like Marty McFly :dunno

Marty dyed his hair and got a perm - it was the 80's. And he may very well have been played by Chris O'Donnell in some alternate timeline, and Chris O'Donnell often had a slack-jawed appearance.

Looks like you're out of ammo, bro.:dunno

Marty dyed his hair and got a perm - it was the 80's. And he may very well have been played by Chris O'Donnell in some alternate timeline, and Chris O'Donnell often had a slack-jawed appearance.

Looks like you're out of ammo, bro.:dunno

CharlieSheenFigure-1.jpg

Back