Should the actor portraying Captain America be an American?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirrobert

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I was relaxing with roommates and surfing online when I had found out that rumors are swirling as to who will play Steve Rogers: Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and even Titan of the American Gladiators. I also noticed a Scottish actor being mentioned as a possible player for the role` Upon seeing this one of my roommates grew livid at the mere thought of Captain America being played by anyone not from the States which brings up a question: Should an American be cast to play Captain America?

To be sure with today's political and cultural climate the question is a loaded one; but I think it a thoughtful question to raise. Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I am personally on the fence myself.

I want an A Class Actor, I don't care where they are from. Bale is Welsh and the funny thing is most people have no clue. My wife just found out after the whole mother arrest debacle.

I dont think he has to be American, but there has to be some limitations.

I dont think we need a Korean Captain America.

i dont care if he is american or not, as long its not Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, or Paul walker or some other dicks, if one of them gets the role, im with Ironman :monkey1

I dont think he has to be American, but there has to be some limitations.

I dont think we need a Korean Captain America.

True but if a Korean can look like this in costume:

captain_america.jpg

More power to him.

I agree that if the actor has skill it shouldn't matter where he hails. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman serve as prime examples of international actors who do justice to roles based on American characters. And yet, this perhaps smacks of chauvinism on my part, but a part of me feels that it would be nice for an American to play Cap.

Captain America, like James Bond or Harry Potter, is unique in that he represents something -- whether values or standards -- that many countrymen believe their home represents or perhaps wish were true about their country.

I remember once hearing that before Roger Moore was cast as Bond that a number of American actors were in consideration for the part. Names like Burt Reynolds and James Brolin were bandied about. I am not too familiar with Brolin's work (aside from playing Pee Wee Herman in the drive in version of "Pee Wee's Big adventure") but I would have found it hard for me to see Reynolds play 007. Awkward to say the least.

I actually don't like Eckhart for Cap....The Chin is there of course but he just doesn't line up for me....

Unlikely as this might be I think that Viggo Mortensen would be a terrific actor to play the part. He has the chin and the chops even though he is not 6'.

I do think it would be kinda weird to have a European portray Captain America.I think its a prerequisite that Cap has to be an American.JMO.

We have a thread about the casting of Cap - but personally I don't think it matters.

It hasn't really mattered for most properties. Although they did go out of their way to make sure the cast of Harry Potter is British.

I could care less either way as long as he is a kick ass actor that hits the part out of the park :rock

I would prefer an American...just like they prefer British dudes for Bond.

Nic Cage still tries to say that's the only reason he lost the part to Craig:rotfl

Moore and Craig are the only Brits to play Bond - the rest of have been Welsh, Scottish, Australian, Irish, etc.

Back