Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (September 3rd, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever. Think I'm burnt out on being lectured/educated.
5cz6s3.jpg

(That's one of my favorite representations of an Asian in a Hollywood movie....Takashi from "Revenge of the Nerds." ******* legend!)

Since when is Shang Chi a Marvel Legend???!!?!?

:rotfl

Yeah, worldwide/popularity he's right up there with Spidey & Hulk... :slap

I don't think he was ever in any comic I bought till like Avengers World in 2014. If he wasn't Asian he wouldn't get a solo movie! Sad cause Marvel IMO never did a good job of making a badass Asian hero like you see in kung fu movies.

You can use this argument about worldwide popularity to literally any Marvel character that is not Hulk, Spider-man and Wolverine before the MCU.

No actually you can’t. Captain America and iron man and thor were known but just not very popular. They were prominent in marvel media and comics and merch before the mcu. Shang chi hasn’t been in anything and is literally below gotg in terms of relevance. Nobody knew who he was before the movie was announced.
They should have done an iron fist film

I remember Iron Fist. Never heard of Shang-Chi.

Cap, Iron Man, Thor were all very well-known characters in my youth, especially as the Avengers. Mantis and Scarlet Witch too. My friend always wanted to bang Scarlet Witch and I always wanted to bang Mantis.

I've been reading comics since the mid 80s and I don't remember ever seeing a single Shang Chi story.

I WANT to say there may have been some Shang Chi stories as lame ass back-up stories in Marvel Comics Presents that nobody bothered reading.

Literally the ONLY mention of Shang Chi in any comic book I own was in a 1988 issue of "What The..?"

ezgif-2-7190db8ea49f.jpg

If today's "journalists" ever found out about this story, their heads would explode. It was called "What if Sheng-Chew were a fast food cook?" and it was typical racist stereotypes about Chinese take-out places. Just harmless 1980s humor, but it shows that all this guy ever was, even at Marvel, was a joke. Calling him a D-lister is an insult to D-listers. This guy is as Z-list as it gets.

He'll go right back to obscurity two weeks after the movie under-performs at the box office. I have no doubt the Marvel Zombies (funny how apt that term became decades later) will go out and give this crap an opening weekend push, but after that it's gonna struggle to get Black Widow numbers.

No actually you can’t. Captain America and iron man and thor were known but just not very popular. They were prominent in marvel media and comics and merch before the mcu. Shang chi hasn’t been in anything and is literally below gotg in terms of relevance. Nobody knew who he was before the movie was announced.
They should have done an iron fist film
I agree that now Shang Chi is below GOTG popularity, but he will shine with fans of martial arts and ride along the MCU already established popularity.

Any character that Marvel adapt now will at least have an average fan base.

The character will grow over time and in the next 10 years Shang Chi will be at least relevant in level of popularity.

Nobody knew Blade before his movies, now we all are excited by his MCU debut.

ps:we are talking about non comic reader people when we talk about mainstream popularity.

Last edited:
Not really a good comparison.

Blade is a vampire. There were probably more Vampire fans and Wesley Snipes fans that saw those movie than marvel Comics fans.... It was Rated R, and wasn't a kids movie.

Not really a good comparison.

Blade is a vampire. There were probably more Vampire fans and Wesley Snipes fans that saw those movie than marvel Comics fans.... It was Rated R, and wasn't a kids movie.
Martial arts movie can be as popular as vampire movies. It's a good comparison.

This is a kiddie Martial Arts movie. Most Martial Arts fans love the violence and gore.

This has none of that. So again, I don't think so.

And the new Mortal Kombat failed miserably. That's a Martial Arts movie, and has tens of thousands of video game fans.

This is a kiddie Martial Arts movie. Most Martial Arts fans love the violence and gore.

This has none of that. So again, I don't think so.

And the new Mortal Kombat failed miserably. That's a Martial Arts movie, and has tens of thousands of video game fans.
The difference between Mortal Kombat and Shang Chi is that the later will ride on the MCU already established mainstream popularity.

Then how would you explain Black Widow failing? Black Widow is one of the more popular MCU characters. A lot of time has passed. The MCU steam has seriously died down. None of these movies tie into the greater picture like the previous movies leading into IW/EG. Captain Marvel would NOT have been a billion dollar movie if it wasn't smack dab in between IW & EG.

Even on D+ Black Widow didn't do much with it's $30 premium access.

I agree that now Shang Chi is below GOTG popularity, but he will shine with fans of martial arts and ride along the MCU already established popularity.

Any character that Marvel adapt now will at least have an average fan base.

The character will grow over time and in the next 10 years Shang Chi will be at least relevant in level of popularity.

Nobody knew Blade before his movies, now we all are excited by his MCU debut.

ps:we are talking about non comic reader people when we talk about mainstream popularity.
Non comic readers had an idea who iron man and cap were. Iron man 1 made the money it did cause people had a basic idea of who he was. He was b list. Which is below Spider-Man and wolverine

Then how would you explain Black Widow failing? Black Widow is one of the more popular MCU characters. A lot of time has passed. The MCU steam has seriously died down. None of these movies tie into the greater picture like the previous movies leading into IW/EG. Captain Marvel would NOT have been a billion dollar movie if it wasn't smack dab in between IW & EG.

Even on D+ Black Widow didn't do much with it's $30 premium access.
I think it’s cause nobody cares about black widow but you are right. Shang chi really just has the marvel logo and that’s it. It’s been done before already. And people don’t know the character plus he’s kinda boring

Back