Selling on ebay internationally?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi There

I would just say cover yourself. I have sold to other countries, in Europe and outside of Europe and so far it has been ok.

eBay have improved their seller protection which is a plus. what i do:

take photos of the box before and after packaging
ship with a courier that will insure the item
signed for on delivery

outside of Europe a lot of the time someone is going to want a lower invoice amount which is fair enough, who doesn't want to pay less for something ? but do you want the sale or do you want to be covered because if they want it that badly they will stick to your rules? and let the customer know that the lower you put the invoice then the item will not be covered. If you put it as a gift which I do then i do not think the duties are as high (not an expert but Ive had no problem so far). subtle changes to the invoices helps at customs at the other end - marking as A Toy helps if it is marked as a gift!

I am sure most will agree, people buying Sideshow / Hot Toys figures know they want it and are collectors so getting it in the best possible way possible and insuring it matters

As long as you cover yourself you should be ok

In some countries higher value may cause the package to be opened for inspection prior notifying the recipient & simply just tape everything back, do you want to take that risk?

In some countries higher value may cause the package to be opened for inspection prior notifying the recipient & simply just tape everything back, do you want to take that risk?

When shipping internationally you run that risk, if you ship a 15kg box at a small amount it is just a likely to flag up with customs. I'm not saying put the full amount but if you are not covered for the replacement amount and it gets damaged what happens then? You have a customer wants a replacement/refund and if you haven't put enough to cover yourself then you are out of pocket

When sideshow send something out of the usa do they put a nominal invoice amount or the full amount and cover themselves?

If it is an 1:6 scale figure then lower amounts should be ok but when you are talking PF then it is some serious money involved.

I've always sold internationally ever since I started on ebay, shipped items to the UK, France, Spain, US, Canada, Australia and never had a problem so far. But I have to say I'm not selling nearly as much as some other people and I've never sold any Hot Toys or expensive statues, I did notice that certain kinds of items seem to attract more scammers than others though. I did have trouble with a few low-priced items but everytime the buyer was a german actually!

I describe my items properly, I always pack very well no matter if the destination is next town or other side of the planet. I only accept PayPal even from germans because some buyers were delibaretely delaying payments when I offered bank transfer, some even think they could send money a month later and then still demand the item although the payment deadline was long exceeded. At least with PayPal I immediately see if/when someone paid and I can do refunds without having to rely on the buyer giving me their account information.

I also buy lots of stuff overseas, always went well so far. I don't buy from any sellers using global shipping program though, everyone who's using that and thinks that is trouble-free might want to read about it in the ebay forums, just put it in search there and lots of threads will show up. Lots of angry buyers and sellers that had nothing but trouble with it. They open stuff at that facility and repack it but not the way the seller did, items arrived broken and ebay didn't refund but blamed the seller, sellers got negative feedback for stuff that was ebay's fault, items taking much longer to arrive, being shipped around the world taking several detours before finally reaching their destination, buyers being charged custom fees twice because the office didn't recognize that the buyer already paid those on ebay etc

Shipping charges through GSP are much higher for international buyers than they would be if the seller shipped directly and also the custom fees on GSP are always higher than what would be charged at the office actually. I know that lots of buyers avoid any listings with the GSP sign.

Shipping charges through GSP are much higher for international buyers than they would be if the seller shipped directly and also the custom fees on GSP are always higher than what would be charged at the office actually. I know that lots of buyers avoid any listings with the GSP sign.

6646b58915e2e25edf9e084ecb4fddeff01d970ea1eb3f072198255cdde2c26e.jpg

For big companies like Sideshow they can't declare false value as it's against the law they can run into bigger legal problems than claiming full amount from insurance.

From what i see, big boxes usually has higher tendency to be inspected irregardless the value. For normal sized package high value tend to increase the chance.

Also for missing parts it's very difficult to prove that it's indeed missing rather than not included in the 1st place, unless you pack everything infront of the post officer and record it down & ship it. For damaged goods unless there's clear signs of damage from outer box to content it's hard to prove that it wasn't damaged in the 1st place. Fully insured doesn't most of the time mean that you are fully covered, especially when the items actually arrives to the recipient.

When shipping internationally you run that risk, if you ship a 15kg box at a small amount it is just a likely to flag up with customs. I'm not saying put the full amount but if you are not covered for the replacement amount and it gets damaged what happens then? You have a customer wants a replacement/refund and if you haven't put enough to cover yourself then you are out of pocket

When sideshow send something out of the usa do they put a nominal invoice amount or the full amount and cover themselves?

If it is an 1:6 scale figure then lower amounts should be ok but when you are talking PF then it is some serious money involved.

The problem shipping internationally through eBay is they charge 10% fees for shipping (which by the way is a scam) plus the shipping cost is huge compared shipping in North America. I made it a rule that any statues I sell will not be sold Internationally. Just way too much risk and hassle.

I always insure at full value. I take pics of everything to even how it's packed. If I do sell statues, I ship it with another box for extra protection.

Ebays Global Shipping Program is another Scam to get more money. I detest it at all cost.

Last edited:
The problem shipping internationally through eBay is they charge 10% fees for shipping (which by the way is a scam) plus the shipping cost is huge compared shipping in North America. I made it a rule that any statues I sell will not be sold Internationally. Just way too much risk and hassle.

I always insure at full value. I take pics of everything to even how it's packed. If I do sell statues, I ship it with another box for extra protection.

Ebays Global Shipping Program is another Scam to get more money. I detest it at all cost.

I agree that the 10% on Shipping is a scam, but that's because too many Asian sellers selling items at $1 with a $80 shipping to save their ebay fees. Ebay fees used to be very minor & doesn't include shipping but after they managed to become the biggest online market they started hiking all these prices because frankly speaking ebay still the place for international selling unless you are full time seller that has a webstore.

Also they have the Import Tax thing that you prepay via ebay, i'm not sure how it works but what i hear is since you don't know whether or not you are getting taxed, and how much is the exact rates, how does ebay even know how much you should pay? I've heard people who paid via ebay still have to pay the tax, that's a true scam.

I have to buy most of mine from oversea's as in the uk there's just not the choice, it's the import tax that's the killer I once imported a telescope from the USA without thinking of the import duty and got stung with a £900 bill that hurt so now I always take it into consideration along with postage costs and tot it all up and if it's still as cheap as the UK ill buy from aboard every time never had any problems apart the aforementioned import tax.

Selleing international eh? Ive had good and bad experiences. Gotten screwed over too many times to count. Even using ebays global shipping program, buyers get soo angry at you for the high shipping cost that they think you are charging them.

Selleing international eh? Ive had good and bad experiences. Gotten screwed over too many times to count. Even using ebays global shipping program, buyers get soo angry at you for the high shipping cost that they think you are charging them.

didn't you list the shipping fees for international or you just couldn't be bothered and rather wait buyers to message you about it? you list down shipping based on regions, buyers will know roughly how much they have to pay & decides on their purchases.

Hello,

I am from Mexico City and as a serious buyer, I've had bought several items through E-bay using paypal, those items includes movies, games, oakley sunglasses and at least 2 Hot Toys Figures: The Batman DX-12 and the Ironman Mark VI, as well as a Link figure from The Legend of Zelda from Medicom.

I indeed can vouch that most of the time, I look for lower shipping prices because of 2 reasons:
1.-Because sadly, most of the things I want, are expensive (i.e Hot toys figures or any collectors item)
2.-Because sometimes I do have the money to pay for the figure, but do not have money for the shipping or just have the half but wanted the item so badly (thank God credit cards allows me to pay on the next month :p)

I know big boxes can cost a lot even nationally, so anything really big outside my country will be expensive. I guess I had luck with my purchases because never had any problem with them, I have kinda low reputation (about 15 stars) but all of them lead to a clear transaction from both sides. I usually ask the seller everything I want to know about the item (if is not specified in the description) and also, ask about shipping prices to Mexico. Sometimes they're specific about not shipping outside the US, but I contact them and ask about any chance to do an exception (I did this for the Ironman figure).
When they know the shipping prices, they let me know and If i can pay it, I purchase the item. But before the purchase, I ask if there's a tracking option (I would hate to be scammed, so I always ask for a way to track the item), that way both can be aware of the current state of the item.

Most of the time, I notice they use the "gift" option when sending the items, some says it's because of the customs, so the item can be clear faster, other says that it is to avoid paying extra shipping charges, which will affect the price i pay for the shipping.

Anyway, I just want to thank all the people who do Int. shipping, because you probably don't know, but you make some guys like me, really happy when we receive our figures. :)

PS. By the way, I wanted to buy directly from sideshow, to avoid those extra cost that sometimes ppl put on ebay, however they do not ship to Mexico, so I'm looking for someone who can spare me with this 1/6 scale figures addiction, because there are some figures I really want to buy like Deadpool, Mark XLV, and those Megatron and Bumblebee Premium scale :pray:
So if anyone here wants to sell them, pls contact me.

I only sell on Ebay thru Global Shipping Program,,,beyond that you're SOL

I would not buy anything sent with Global Shipping Program. Did you know they are removing your carefully packed items and then repack them again to save on weight and thus on shipping costs?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Global-shipping-program-problems/td-p/17580131

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selli...hipping-program-need-help-please/td-p/2742462

Global Shipping Program Problems, Please Help! - The eBay Community

Do Sellers Like the New eBay Global Shipping Program?

From Boston Globe:

"... International buyers cannot leave negative feedback about the Global Shipping Program, but can still leave unsatisfactory feedback generally about their experience with sellers, which is why Stevens does not want to participate.

Under the eBay program, sellers mail items to a Pitney Bowes warehouse in Erlanger, Ky., where employees open and repackage items, billing the buyers — not sellers — for shipping and customs fees. A handling fee is added into the charges, but neither eBay nor Pitney Bowes would disclose how the fee is calculated."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ng-overseas/8ZEVe3C8nCZbTIqZv1N1fM/story.html

As someone who is international (Australia), and has been collecting various memorabilia for 20+ years, I have to say that some of the generalisations are pretty offensive. At a rough and ready reckoner, I would have paid between $20-$30K shipping costs over the years for all my purchases. I, and most of us intl collectors know what we're in for. Especially given that ebay estimates shipping costs to our country and has done so for many years now. The insinuations that we're somehow all precious flowers who need special attention, or that we're all slavering beasts out to rip you off because of "foriggners" is ridiculous. To be brutally honest, much of the time I find out that I've been screwed a little on the shipping.

However, to all of you who are of the realisation that us "foriggners" are no more likely to rip you off than some random dude who just happens to live in the same country as you, thank you. My collection wouldn't be what it is without you. :)

As someone who is international (Australia), and has been collecting various memorabilia for 20+ years, I have to say that some of the generalisations are pretty offensive. At a rough and ready reckoner, I would have paid between $20-$30K shipping costs over the years for all my purchases. I, and most of us intl collectors know what we're in for. Especially given that ebay estimates shipping costs to our country and has done so for many years now. The insinuations that we're somehow all precious flowers who need special attention, or that we're all slavering beasts out to rip you off because of "foriggners" is ridiculous. To be brutally honest, much of the time I find out that I've been screwed a little on the shipping.

However, to all of you who are of the realisation that us "foriggners" are no more likely to rip you off than some random dude who just happens to live in the same country as you, thank you. My collection wouldn't be what it is without you. :)

:goodpost::)

I would not buy anything sent with Global Shipping Program. Did you know they are removing your carefully packed items and then repack them again to save on weight and thus on shipping costs?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Global-shipping-program-problems/td-p/17580131

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selli...hipping-program-need-help-please/td-p/2742462

Global Shipping Program Problems, Please Help! - The eBay Community

Do Sellers Like the New eBay Global Shipping Program?

From Boston Globe:

"... International buyers cannot leave negative feedback about the Global Shipping Program, but can still leave unsatisfactory feedback generally about their experience with sellers, which is why Stevens does not want to participate.

Under the eBay program, sellers mail items to a Pitney Bowes warehouse in Erlanger, Ky., where employees open and repackage items, billing the buyers — not sellers — for shipping and customs fees. A handling fee is added into the charges, but neither eBay nor Pitney Bowes would disclose how the fee is calculated."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ng-overseas/8ZEVe3C8nCZbTIqZv1N1fM/story.html

I was not aware of this. Thanks for the heads up!!

I bought a few quite expensive things in my life, some from ebay, some from various forum members. From all around the world. My trade feedback thread seen in my signature link, which starts in 2001, can easily prove where I stand when buying, selling or trading internationally. I always try using Priority Airmail International shipping with tracking number, and sometimes Express Mail. Never FedEx or UPS - had bad issues with both, eg. old ANH 1/6 Vader figure was opened by FedEx customs here and badly damaged, SSC made me destroy it and sent replacement. I only had a very few packages lost in my collecting life (most were small items sent without tracking number), only the RS helmet was lost and having a tracking number (that package never entered my country, verified it to the highest level possible in the postal system). Even if sellers lowered value of packages I never had any issues, and some deals like these were quite recent.

I think that everything depends on both the buyer and seller. I've seen bad ebay deals as well as bad forum deals. You need to be careful no matter if you are a seller or a buyer, especially when talking about expensive rare high end items. One of the important things next to price and shipping is the packing. I'd never trust a third party to unpack something that was carefully packed by the seller.

See here an example that covers most of the points I mentioned above. Recently I bought an uber rare MGC ROTJ Stormtrooper blaster conversion. As a friend said these are rare as hen's teeth, they are full metal, and looking exactly like a Canadian C1 Sterling with original greeblies and parts added to it to transform it into a ROTJ E-11 blaster. A friend of mine helped me get this from US to EU (YES, it came from US, I didn't know this was possible, but it was, and all legal). Both the seller and the intermediary packed it so well that you could drop it from orbit and still survive intact. And it is a metal piece, already so solid I could easily beat someone with it.

What would have happened if GSP unpacked a polystone or resin statue, and decided seller used too much foam or bubble wrap and send it with half or less protection, maybe even without the original foam halves? I wouldn't dare let someone mess up original packaging (or at least a good seller's packaging, if we talk about a custom piece that has custom packing and wrapping), and then add extra amount of money to be paid by the buyer for this extra service we never needed...

Back