Selling Comic Books

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollectorNC

Super Freak
Reaction score
Guys, need a little help. I am not wanting to have my blood pressure elevated by dealing with Ebay if I don't have to and wanted to seek advice about where to sale old comics. I have maybe 5 long boxes of comics from the 60's to last year and while I love my collection, I just don't have the room to keep them boxed up and just sitting there. I was wondering where some of you have had the most luck in getting a value close to what the comic is actually worth. I am not into gouging, but I also am not into giving it away. I have many key issues, 1st appearances, classic storylines, but also the "fillers" in between in some series that I'd want to get rid of as well, that may not be on someone's list. Just wondering about how those of you that are successful in selling do it...i.e. price, where you sale them, recommendations for shipping materials, etc. I figure roughly there's 500+ to sale. Thanks for any advice. Feel free to PM as well if you don't want to post publicly.

If you don't want to hassle with eBay, you could try craigslist or your local comic shop. But unfortunately, the best way to maximize your profits is gonna be eBay, as those other options are gonna force you to sell for a fraction of your collection's actual value. And even with eBay, you aren't gonna get what Wizard would have listed as "value," because the market ain't what it used to be and eBay makes it alot easier to find back issues than was the case in the pre-eBay days.

I take it all these books are raw and none have been CGC'd?

Yeah that is the other thing. I've never done it as I was leary about mailing away issues and the overall shipping system. So no, none are CGC so in a way that is good for buyers as i would not be asking CGC prices. Just fair markey value or near Wizard/Overstreet, but a little less to compete. I've been in the hobby for 2 decades so I am pretty good at accessing the grade.

I've sold comics on eBay for years; it ain't easy. If you have keystone or rare issues it's not bad, but regular issues are tougher. I recommend selling complete runs if you have them.

Btw, I plan on selling at least 90% of my collection this fall. That's about 8,000 comics. I'll probably go the Craigslist or comic shop route. I won't get as much, but it'll be a lot easier than eBay.

I have a lot of key issues...well depending on what people are fans of, but really biggest runs/lots are maybe 10 issues sequentially here and there. G.I. Joe, I have nearly all of the issues say up to the the 90's but then there's gaps until about 120's. I guess my other concern is seller/buyer disagreement. I mean, I grade it as NM and the buyer gets it and wants to return it because he thinks it's VF. I mean I know that is when CGC would be helpful, but I'd rather not have to pay a fortune to sell comics. What do you guys use to ship them to the buyers and what kind of shipping service?

I'm gonna give Lone Star a shot. After selling a bunch of sets on the CGC message board, all raw by the way, I've got about 4000 left and in a spreadsheet. Lone Star will take the list, make an offer, and then I can decide. I know I'll get lowballed, but at this point anything will likely tempt me. They even pay to ship them to Texas and arrange pickup. Like you, I need the space back. Still love the medium, but I let it get way out of control.

I'll be keeping all of my Grendel, G.I. Joe, Fantastic Four, and a few key others.

5 boxes I'd go the LCS route. If you don't have them graded you won't make a killing on them anyway so you might as well dump all of them on the LCS at once instead of hassling with ebay. :huh

I have a lot of key issues...well depending on what people are fans of, but really biggest runs/lots are maybe 10 issues sequentially here and there. G.I. Joe, I have nearly all of the issues say up to the the 90's but then there's gaps until about 120's. I guess my other concern is seller/buyer disagreement. I mean, I grade it as NM and the buyer gets it and wants to return it because he thinks it's VF. I mean I know that is when CGC would be helpful, but I'd rather not have to pay a fortune to sell comics. What do you guys use to ship them to the buyers and what kind of shipping service?

Yeah, I've collecting on and off since the 70s. I've focused my collection to Bronze era (70s for me) Marvel superheroes. Basically, cover price of between $.20 and $.35.

Here's a link for supply/shipping materials:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-137-comic.aspx

As far as shipping I try for Fed Ex ground service or UPS ground service with return signature confirmation. I don't have much faith in the United States postal service. :lol

5 boxes I'd go the LCS route. If you don't have them graded you won't make a killing on them anyway so you might as well dump all of them on the LCS at once instead of hassling with ebay. :huh

The problem with that is the LCS will literally give you pennies on the dollar for raw comics. I've seen many raw books go for much bigger prices on eBay.

I may be looking for some Avengers--I will need to look but I think I am looking for #165-#185

Thanks guys. Is it better to sale individual issues or lots?
Like others have said, you might consider trying to sell "key" issues and notable runs that you can get something for on eBay, then off-loading the rest for chump change from the local comic shop, since you won't get much on eBay for it anyway.

Like others have said, you might consider trying to sell "key" issues and notable runs that you can get something for on eBay, then off-loading the rest for chump change from the local comic shop, since you won't get much on eBay for it anyway.

Thanks everyone. :)

Back