Secondary Market "Do's and Dont's"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed - but for someone new to the game, how would you recommend they do their research to avoid this?

By actually taking the five minutes needed to do research.
A quick trip to eBay and viewing Completed Listings will often do the trick. Lingering around forums (especially the BST section -- if possible) helps, too. At the very least, a Google search, but this may take a bit more time.

I must say I've never done a trade as I just don't know that I trust that process. I have bought and sold on message boards to trusted friends without a problem, but I am always very careful about who I enter into those deals with.

I do think Paypal provides some sense of protection so I do try to use that for anything I can.

Thanks so much for the thoughts and please keep them coming!

I agree with all that has been previously noted. Avoid paying high prices because it not only will buy you a trip to the poor house, but it basically continues the vicious cycle of people buying statues for the whole purpose of making profit from them.

This is a hobby and an expensive one for that matter without adding in a secondary market. When a flipper purchases multiples of a statue for the sole purpose of selling it afterwards for an insane price it basically taints the hobby in general in my opinion. I mean we all have to sell our statues at one time or another to make space or bring cohesiveness to our collection and it is nice to make a profit from it at that point but if you put up a PO ebay listing and set the price at $1000, then you're basically being an ass O.

Obviously for financial reasons you can't always PO something you really want and if that is the case sometimes you just gotta live without it and realize there will be plenty more statues you'll want later.

When buying/trading in forums, always ask for pics to see the condition of the piece.

You get double protection if you pay using your credit card through Paypal.

When putting up an EBay auction, make sure you don't misspell key words. Let's say you start an auction at one cent, you miss typed "jot toys" instead of "hot toys". Not only will your auction not show up in people's search, if one person were to randomly stumble upon your auction, he can potentially win it paying just one cent.

As a seller, learning how to decrease the cost to ship your item can help you decrease your final price thus attract more buyers. The most economical shipping methods in the States is USPS first class mail for smaller items, and USPS parcel post for larger items. You may end up paying close to double if using other carriers. make sure your shipping cost is as competitive as your selling price for a quick successful sale!

Always buy insurance when shipping international!

-

Last edited:
Tough call man, if you really want it and can afford it then the cost shouldn't matter. on the other hand if you can't afford it then don't even think about getting these very expensive pieces and move on. I wasn't fortunate enough to be in this hobby when they could be had for retail and had to pay inflated prices at the time (which isn't anywheres near what they're at now) so i guess i'm lucky that alot of the pieces i had to pay a premium for have all pretty much more than doubled since i've gotten them.

In short I don't think there's any right or wrong way to collect, just live with in you means and make sure you have money for the essentials like food and shelter etc.

Tough call man, if you really want it and can afford it then the cost shouldn't matter. on the other hand if you can't afford it then don't even think about getting these very expensive pieces and move on. I wasn't fortunate enough to be in this hobby when they could be had for retail and had to pay inflated prices at the time (which isn't anywheres near what they're at now) so i guess i'm lucky that alot of the pieces i had to pay a premium for have all pretty much more than doubled since i've gotten them.

In short I don't think there's any right or wrong way to collect, just live with in you means and make sure you have money for the essentials like food and shelter etc.

:exactly:...Do your homework and my favorite motto when it comes to this hobby.

"Get In Where You Fit In"
...:lecture

Don't pay the stupid price. Nuff said..

I am not rich. I have no choice...

:goodpost: :exactly:

Well your going to have to pay the piper if you want Venom com, Spidey com and Gambit PF :p

Aside from stupid prices, there are some statues that do genuinely appreciate in value without forced mark up, those 3 being good examples. Glad I got at least 1 of the 3. I can't afford their current going rates. It's stupid when you see newer releases at high prices without the market actually driving up the price through any real demand.

:exactly: :goodpost:

It makes the worst equation. It only takes one fool to ____ it up for all of us. And there's millions and millions of fools :panic:

I m late in this game....but i prefer retail price anytime ...... i dont want to pay more than retail so if i miss something its ok for me. I will wait for another product of same charcter like Hulk Kirby PF i like to have it. but at retail :lol ...... i know its not possible (nothing is impossible :wink1:) Sideshow Revealed Hulk Maquette who will buy Hulk PF at 2000$+ :cuckoo:

Then does this mean that I can buy the retro (Black & Red) Spider-man PF off someone for retail? Hell No! I'm sure that if I wanted to buy the Gambit off some you folks here making these comments, you'll want to make some money off the statue. If eBay where you put the statue to sale and that's the going price, why not pay it, if that's what you want in your collection. Hence the word "collectible" with that comes the increase or decline on the secondary market. That's the way that it's always been since the beginning of collectible things. I only see it that eBay has made it easier to obtain these "collectible statues", without eBay you damn sure would be paying more to get one of these for your collection. Especially at places like SDCC, where it would be more than likely that you would be able to obtain your grail or whatever you want to call it.

If you where one of the lucky ones that was able to get your grail at retail great, but if not pay the piper, or wait until your heart is content and SSC make another one. But we all know that on some of these characters that will be a pretty long damn wait, and who's to say that the new depiction of your long awaited character, is going to be to your liking. I know that eBay can have some very overzealous sellers, but like most have said, if you do your homework you'll get your wanted statue at pretty much market value. Which is what all of us would sell our statue for or pretty close to market value. If not then let me know what statue you have for sale at retail, and I'm sure they'll be the ones that many don't care to have in the first place.

Last edited:
I m late in this game....but i prefer retail price anytime ...... i dont want to pay more than retail so if i miss something its ok for me. I will wait for another product of same charcter like Hulk Kirby PF i like to have it. but at retail :lol ...... i know its not possible (nothing is impossible :wink1:) Sideshow Revealed Hulk Maquette who will buy Hulk PF at 2000$+ :cuckoo:

a lot :lecture

There's new people to this game everyday. The best thing they can do is research what companies sell what products at what price range, and try their damnedest to get them at retail. If that means taking a day off work and sitting in front of their computer refreshing the site's homepage every 30 seconds to stand a 25% chance of getting it, then that's one of the sacrifices to make to get some of the more sought after pieces. Every one of us who have been doing this for a good bit have had to do something extraordinary like that to get something we really wanted. So, if we go to sell it down the road, and we think sacrificing a day of our life to get it is worth double the retail price, then that's our decision to make.

Yes, there are the people that get these products just to throw them on eBay and make a profit, and that's what makes getting your hands on these at retail on their release date that much sweeter, knowing you beat those pricks!!!

For newer collectors back-tracking, think of it like a Bigfoot enthusiast trying to catch a glimpse of the illusive creature. It's a waiting game for some stuff. You might get on eBay or SSF for sale thread, and see the thing you want going for 2-3x the retail price, but if you constantly check everyday, day-in-and-day-out at all times, for days, weeks, months- a year! you stand that ultra rare chance of seeing the piece you want at a reasonable price, because there is that 1 collector who doesn't see the point of screwing someone over to make a profit, but he does want some compensation for his troubles, and they're in a bind and need cash.

For some pieces, if you want them that bad, you're just going to have to fork over the cash, and the longer you wrestle with the thought of pulling the trigger because you assume you'll see it at that reasonable price, then the more you're going to pay down the road. That's where the homework comes in handy, is knowing what pieces are never going to come down.

There are the new comers that join this hobby that money is no object, and they don't care that they're paying $1000 for something that retailed at $200. These flippers/scalpers know that, and they know what they can milk a product for. Some are just complete retards and throw an outrageous price on something that isn't even going for half of what they're asking.

Anyone saying "who's going to pay that much for that"- apparently enough people that these companies aren't batting an eye at charging that much for them. These new LSF going for 2K, the life-size figures going for 5-6K- new figures are being added to those lines as you ask that question, so the market is there.

The biggest mistake any of us can make is basing this hobby's price range on our own income. Don't assume that because you're an average wage working stiff, that what you find to be unreasonably priced is what everyone else is going to find too expensive, and if you keep yourself warm on cold nights by getting toasty next to a fire fueled by spare $100 bills (in other words, you're RICH), then don't assume that because everyone is complaining how a new release is going to be too expensive, that you can lollygag and take your time, and the product will still be for sale when you go to finally order it. Money may be no object to you, but ain't a one of us that wants to spend $1000 on something we could've easily gotten for $500 2 days ago. Know what I mean?

GREAT thoughts guys, much appreciated! We are recording this ep tonight so there is still some time to contribute. I will let you know when the ep is up - should be Wednesday.

Thanks again for the great discussion!

I've only been collecting ss for 6 months now. But I've learned that I have no problem paying above retail for a iconic piece from a character I love. Paid 700 I sh for my cap pf and I don't regret it at all. I will add a Thor pf and Spiderman comiquette soon because I love those statues. I've also got pieces because they were cheap like bullseye comiquette $130 and don't like it. Best way to prevent paying above retail is obviously pre-order or wait till Ss makes another version of a character you like. But just because a new hulk or another character comes out it doesn't tarnish or lessen the awesome of the original IMO.

There's new people to this game everyday. The best thing they can do is research what companies sell what products at what price range, and try their damnedest to get them at retail. If that means taking a day off work and sitting in front of their computer refreshing the site's homepage every 30 seconds to stand a 25% chance of getting it, then that's one of the sacrifices to make to get some of the more sought after pieces. Every one of us who have been doing this for a good bit have had to do something extraordinary like that to get something we really wanted. So, if we go to sell it down the road, and we think sacrificing a day of our life to get it is worth double the retail price, then that's our decision to make.

Yes, there are the people that get these products just to throw them on eBay and make a profit, and that's what makes getting your hands on these at retail on their release date that much sweeter, knowing you beat those pricks!!!

For newer collectors back-tracking, think of it like a Bigfoot enthusiast trying to catch a glimpse of the illusive creature. It's a waiting game for some stuff. You might get on eBay or SSF for sale thread, and see the thing you want going for 2-3x the retail price, but if you constantly check everyday, day-in-and-day-out at all times, for days, weeks, months- a year! you stand that ultra rare chance of seeing the piece you want at a reasonable price, because there is that 1 collector who doesn't see the point of screwing someone over to make a profit, but he does want some compensation for his troubles, and they're in a bind and need cash.

For some pieces, if you want them that bad, you're just going to have to fork over the cash, and the longer you wrestle with the thought of pulling the trigger because you assume you'll see it at that reasonable price, then the more you're going to pay down the road. That's where the homework comes in handy, is knowing what pieces are never going to come down.

There are the new comers that join this hobby that money is no object, and they don't care that they're paying $1000 for something that retailed at $200. These flippers/scalpers know that, and they know what they can milk a product for. Some are just complete retards and throw an outrageous price on something that isn't even going for half of what they're asking.

Anyone saying "who's going to pay that much for that"- apparently enough people that these companies aren't batting an eye at charging that much for them. These new LSF going for 2K, the life-size figures going for 5-6K- new figures are being added to those lines as you ask that question, so the market is there.

The biggest mistake any of us can make is basing this hobby's price range on our own income. Don't assume that because you're an average wage working stiff, that what you find to be unreasonably priced is what everyone else is going to find too expensive, and if you keep yourself warm on cold nights by getting toasty next to a fire fueled by spare $100 bills (in other words, you're RICH), then don't assume that because everyone is complaining how a new release is going to be too expensive, that you can lollygag and take your time, and the product will still be for sale when you go to finally order it. Money may be no object to you, but ain't a one of us that wants to spend $1000 on something we could've easily gotten for $500 2 days ago. Know what I mean?

:goodpost: wow this describes me and so many others. Perfect words my friend. This says it all. Now get some rest from all this typing. :wink1:

Back